shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice about selling Van Craeynest ring.

eek1999

Rough_Rock
Hello-

I came upon this board in my google searches. Seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable jewellery enthusiasts here.

I'm thinking about selling a ring that I have, but not really sure where to start.

It was given to me in 2007 but barely worn. It's the style #871 on the Van Craeynest website http://www.vancraeynest.com/index.php?page=gallery&cid=2&pid=43 - made of white gold and platinum. It's a really beautiful ring. I love it, but for personal reasons, I just can't wear it and enjoy it like I once did.

I read on another thread that that VC was bought out a couple of years ago. Not sure if that changed anything about the way the rings are made or the value of them, but I'm wondering what the best way might be to get an idea of the value of the ring (so I can ask for a fair price) and also if anyone has any advice about selling the ring in general, where I might find an 'audience' that would appreciate it and maybe understand it's craftsmanship. I don't want to take a piece like this to some second hand jewellery shop in town and am worried that listing online (like on ebay) will have me dealing with potential scammers.

Any advice or feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!
E

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can register on LoupeTroop and DiamondBistro, then advertise there. Once you've set it up, go to Pricescope's Pre-loved section and start a new topic there, with links to your VC ring at LT and DB. It costs 99 cents to sell an item in DB. You can contact any VC representative / distributor to ask how much a new #871 costs. From there, it is up to you how much you want to price it.

eek1999

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the note! Seems simple enough, but I still have a couple of questions if someone doesn't mind addressing them...

For these websites, diamondbistro and louptroupe... How do people normally sort out payment? Is there anything that protects the parties involved? Maybe it's a dumb question, but do people just get money through paypal and mail out jewelry? It seems kind of risky :/

For the value of the ring, if it costs $2000 new (just a random number), what price might you list the used piece for? Are there any other factors to consider? ie: That the ring was made before the company was bought out, I don't know if they're still crafted in the same way. Or if I have the original papers from when the ring was purchased?

Just wondering about these things. Sorry, this is all uncharted territory for me :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a problem at all; we help each other here on Pricescope. Payment is best using PayPal. No one sees the credit card number and Paypal will take care of non-payment and simple disputes. Of course there is a slight fee but all in all, it is very safe and protects both parties. I just sold a setting, received my money via PP, then mailed out the ring. When mailing, as the seller, I make sure it has signature confirmation to make sure the buyer actually receives it and not someone else, and also tracking in case it gets lost somewhere. I buy insurance to make sure it is covered in case it gets lost or damaged in transit.

You can start at 70% then wait it out to see if you get any bites. Some people will low ball you but you can always decline it. If it sits too long without inquiry, then relist with a slightly lower price. In most cases, settings hold value very poorly but VC pieces do much better than most. I purchased my VC setting at half the cost of a new one. VC is still making die-struck pieces so that will not be a big selling factor. Original papers are a nice touch but not necessary since the proof is the VC stamp on the inside of the shank.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results