shape
carat
color
clarity

Added stones not done correctly (or so I think...)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scardali

Rough_Rock
My question in short is: looking at the attached pictures and taking notice to the outer most stone on each side of this platinum setting, is there anything within reason I can ask the Jeweler to do to make the 6th stones (themselves) and their channel setting more clean/professional and/or more like that of the other 5 stones on each side? The other flaw is noticable in the one attached picture where there''s what appears to be a small crack under the center stone. Is this crack something we should be concerned about or more cosmetic?

Thanks in advance!
Sal C.

------------

The above portion is the crux of this post... but if you''re interested and/or think context has some value here, then thanks for taking the time to read into the back story for what it''s worth. I realize I''m not terse ;-)

I purchased a stone and setting from a NY Jewelry Exchange Jeweler back in Oct. 2009 that after proposing to my now Fiance, we''re both not happy with the stones that were added to the setting and are looking to do our own homework before going back to the Jeweler to ask for anything from him.

The first time I saw both the stone and setting, I knew I liked them both very much. That aside, I always need to research the heck out of something before I''ll make a purchase, especially when it comes to big purchases such as this. So that is where I became familiar with the Pricescope forums and I got some very valuable help from people on the Rocky Talky forums about a stone that was potentially "steep and deep". I requested the Jeweler take the stone to GCAL and they performed their barrage of tests and laser inscribed the stone and in the end, we couldn''t be happier with it, despite that being the source of all my time and effort.

The setting on the other hand was easy. I saw it, I liked it, and from day one, the Jeweler and I agreed that it was a no-brainer to add a 6th stone to each side to make a total of 13 stones which I knew has special significance to my future wife.

When it came time to purchase and I was writing out the check, I remembered and noticed that he and I both had forgotten about the 6th stones on each side and I was about to walk off with this ring. He assured me it was a simple fix, and he''d just mail it to me.

Unfortunately, when I received it the modified setting with mounted center stone in the mail, I saw right away that the 6th stones on each side are noticeably different. Both Mollie and I feel that the added stones (one of the two especially) are not of equal quality, but more importantly their mounting is sub-optimal. All in all, we both love the ring but feel this wasn''t done properly.

You cannot see the 6th stone on each side as they fall between her ring and pinky/middle finger, so only she and I really know about it. But we know the somewhat significant imperfection is there and after spending $10k on a ring/stone, need to at least inquire about what our options are.

I realize that this is after the fact, and from the Jeweler''s perspective, he''d like this transaction to be over. I don''t know what he''s obligated (if anything) to do, or even beyond obligation, what he can do without starting over. I''m willing to pay something if he''d be willing to make it right, but not hundreds of dollars.

Looking at the attached pictures, can this be corrected without taking on a major burden?

Thanks again for your time reading all of this and for any suggestions!

DSC_0146s.jpg

scardali

Rough_Rock
Other supporting photos (2+ this one) to follow.

Thank you all.

DSC_0149s.jpg

scardali

Rough_Rock
#3.

DSC_0268s.jpg

scardali

Rough_Rock
Photo #4. This one, although somewhat blurry, illustrates what I think is a crack below the center stone. Is this more cosmetic or something that will degrade?

DSCN2001s.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That certainly is a nice ring, but it''s obvious that the additional work wasn''t done up to standards. You need a professional opinion on this and I''m not an expert, but I know a few things so here it is.

1. I believe this could be repaired (i.e. done properly), I don''t think it would/should cost a lot, but I''d take it to another jeweller, cause if this is the best this particular jeweller can do and you''re not happy with the quality...

2. This is not a channel setting, it''s a bead setting, channel setting doesen''t have visible beads/prongs.

3. If you look closer, you''ll see that stones #1 are set quite similarly to the last ones, but the "mistake" might be more obvious on these cause they sit next to a plain, polished part of the band.

Hope everything works out well, I agree that for this amount you should both be absolutely happy with the end result.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I can see what you mean about the added diamond. I''m not sure what you should do but it might be worth asking the original jeweler to fix it (after all it''s their mistake).

scardali

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the reply. I''m glad to hear that you don''t think it should be too difficult to fix. The more I look at it, if the metal work could just be cleaned up, I think that would make a significant difference. And I do see your point about the 1st and 6th stones on each side, though on the one side, the 6th stone is about the size of the 4 middle stones and on the other side the 6th stone is about the size of the 1st.

It''s a good point you make about bringing it to another jeweler, and I also thought all along this was a channel setting so you taught me something there too.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results