shape
carat
color
clarity

Active Adult Legal???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

U2Forever

Rough_Rock
My family and I are moving to the DC area next month. The prices of single family homes in Northern Virginia are so high! I have found severl single family homes in the Northern Virginia area that I really like and most importantly we can afford (under $500,000), but every one of them are in an Active Adult over 55 community. Here is a link to a home we really like:
http://matrix.mris.com/Matrix/Public/Email.aspx?ID=13448703203
My husband and I aren''t over 55 and we have children. How is it legal in America to discriminate when purchasing a home?

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
These communties are exempted from the "Fair Housing Act" so there is no legal age discrimination issue. The active adult communities fall under the "Federal Housing for Older Persons Act" or "HOPA" for short. It provides for seniors to live in a community with other seniors in their twilight years. Since, most baby boomers are retiring or reaching retirement & longevity increasing it will probably be the law for a long, long time.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the crazy world known as the housing market in DC/VA/MD.

I believe that some of these communities will allow a certain number of under 55s to move in, but there are rules and a max number. Like you may need to be 45 or older with teenage children. Again, not certain about it or that all communities do it, but it may be worth checking in to!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results