shape
carat
color
clarity

ACORN Raid!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Voters "driven" to vote.....http://www.nypost.com/seven/10062008/news/nationalnews/homeless_driven_to_vote_obama_132395.htm

I think it is great to do that, but, I would hope that they are not doing it just to get them to vote for Obama, or anyone in particular.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I just saw that more offices are being raided. 9 I believe was the number the gave..will post an article as soon as I have one.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
And why, you may ask, is this not an election issue? I believe this goes to the heart of why we cannot trust Obama. At all. With anything. Certainly not the keys to the Oval Office. He''s just a smug phony with questionable friends and a suspect background. And that''s being kind.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 2:43:14 PM
Author: HollyS

And why, you may ask, is this not an election issue? I believe this goes to the heart of why we cannot trust Obama. At all. With anything. Certainly not the keys to the Oval Office. He''s just a smug phony with questionable friends and a suspect background. And that''s being kind.
Holly, don''t get me wrong, THIS is wrong. But fraud and intimidation tactics are not without Republican paticipation. They are both an equal opportunity crime. And have been going on forever I imagine.

But it''s still wrong.
38.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Holliday interviewed another homeless man targeted by the registration drive who exulted that he was voting for Obama because "I want him to do his thang. You know, do his thug thizzle."
I don''t know why this made me laugh so hard. I''m totally pocketing "thug thizzle" and using it from now on!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 3:31:37 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 10/8/2008 2:43:14 PM

Holly, don''t get me wrong, THIS is wrong. But fraud and intimidation tactics are not without Republican paticipation. They are both an equal opportunity crime. And have been going on forever I imagine.

But it''s still wrong.
38.gif
You might be right, but I can''t think of any examples off the top of my head. That would take a little research. But, this is business as usual for voter registration groups with Dem ties. Take for instance the Mayor Daley incident in Chicago that many believe helped Kennedy in 1960, or the questionable registration in the South during the civil rights era, or the phony registrations of dead people attributed to the LBJ for Senate campaign in the 40''s or 50''s. See, I''m not even a civics student, and I can rattle off 3 examples of fraud re: the other side.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 3:39:56 PM
Author: luckystar112

Holliday interviewed another homeless man targeted by the registration drive who exulted that he was voting for Obama because ''I want him to do his thang. You know, do his thug thizzle.''
I don''t know why this made me laugh so hard. I''m totally pocketing ''thug thizzle'' and using it from now on!
Hahaha, I started laughing out loud as well. I laughed even harder when the article went on to to define "thug thizzle".

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well you know the old saying... The voting isn''t done until the dead in Chicago have voted twice.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Voter Registration Group ACORN Long a Target of GOP Operatives

excerpt:

In March, the Senate Committee on Rules and Administration held a hearing and heard testimony from election integrity experts who said voter fraud is a “myth” and voter identification laws actually disenfranchise legitimate voters.

Indeed, in a column published in the Washington Post last year, Justin Levitt, an attorney and expert on voting issues who teaches at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law, and Jeff Milyo, a professor at the University of Missouri-Columbia department of economics, said "the notion of widespread voter fraud... is itself a fraud. Evidence of actual fraud by individual voters is painfully skimpy."

ACORN has long been a target of Republican Party operatives dating as far back as the 2004 presidential election. But the accusations of malfeasance have never been supported by evidence.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 5:37:30 PM
Author: MoonWater

Voter Registration Group ACORN Long a Target of GOP Operatives

excerpt:

In March, the Senate Committee on Rules and Administration held a hearing and heard testimony from election integrity experts who said voter fraud is a “myth” and voter identification laws actually disenfranchise legitimate voters.

Indeed, in a column published in the Washington Post last year, Justin Levitt, an attorney and expert on voting issues who teaches at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law, and Jeff Milyo, a professor at the University of Missouri-Columbia department of economics, said ''the notion of widespread voter fraud... is itself a fraud. Evidence of actual fraud by individual voters is painfully skimpy.''

ACORN has long been a target of Republican Party operatives dating as far back as the 2004 presidential election. But the accusations of malfeasance have never been supported by evidence.

Somehow, I don''t think the Attorney Generals of the states who have conducted raids, inquiries, or investigations, or filed charges will agree with you or your source.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 5:10:35 PM

Date: 10/8/2008 3:31:37 PM
Author: Ellen

Holly, don't get me wrong, THIS is wrong. But fraud and intimidation tactics are not without Republican paticipation. They are both an equal opportunity crime. And have been going on forever I imagine.

But it's still wrong.
38.gif
You might be right, but I can't think of any examples off the top of my head. That would take a little research. But, this is business as usual for voter registration groups with Dem ties. Take for instance the Mayor Daley incident in Chicago that many believe helped Kennedy in 1960, or the questionable registration in the South during the civil rights era, or the phony registrations of dead people attributed to the LBJ for Senate campaign in the 40's or 50's. See, I'm not even a civics student, and I can rattle off 3 examples of fraud re: the other side.
I can't either, but I know I've heard of it (intimidation) in the past. However, just last night I was listening to the Dem. Gov. of North Carolina being interviewed and he happen to mention voter intimidation, and said it's not a myth, it does happen. I was going to post the transcript but they don't have it up yet. I'll post it later.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
This is the kind of bizarre behaviour that is encouraged by having a completely open voting system... the electoral roles should be maintained and kept by a government bureacracy.
Voter drives by partisan groups is kinda manipulative... and that''s not including interest groups ''cooking the books''.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 10:02:37 AM
Author: LaraOnline
This is the kind of bizarre behaviour that is encouraged by having a completely open voting system... the electoral roles should be maintained and kept by a government bureacracy.

Voter drives by partisan groups is kinda manipulative... and that''s not including interest groups ''cooking the books''.

Lara, you have compulsory voting, right? I think that''s really cool, btw!

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 5:22:28 PM
Author: strmrdr
Well you know the old saying... The voting isn''t done until the dead in Chicago have voted twice.

My husband always says "vote early, vote often". He said that last time we voted and the polling lady said, and I quote, "this ain''t Chicago!!!" she was laughing!!!
41.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 5:15:27 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady

Date: 10/8/2008 3:39:56 PM
Author: luckystar112

Holliday interviewed another homeless man targeted by the registration drive who exulted that he was voting for Obama because ''I want him to do his thang. You know, do his thug thizzle.''
I don''t know why this made me laugh so hard. I''m totally pocketing ''thug thizzle'' and using it from now on!
Hahaha, I started laughing out loud as well. I laughed even harder when the article went on to to define ''thug thizzle''.

We''re not allowed to laugh. Or mention thug-thizzle at all.
WATCH OUT!!!
32.gif

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Hahhaahahahha!!!!! Barack is NOT my homeboy!!! Too funny!
36.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 4:29:20 PM
Author: starsapphire
From the urban dictionary. thug thizzle Doing your thang. Putting your mack down.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thug+thizzle

fo shizzle means for sure
Oh, so it''s English from the mouth of Snoop Dog (or as another black person once referred to him: Snarf Barky Bark).

What the h-e-double l is ''your mack''? Geez, I make a lousy homegirl.
28.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, compulsory voting.. although I don''t think voting is compulsory for local council elections.
I think it''s really cool too...
I think it contributes a general sense of civic responsibility in people, and I think it makes them feel both recognised, and invested, in government.
People care, and they think their vote counts.

If you DO miss the vote, you tend to get a little $25 fine in the mail.
So, it''s not like a jailable offense or anything
1.gif

But compulsory voting has created a culture where everyone gets off the couch and to the voting booth, without any particular political entreaty to do so.

I think it takes the pressure off the politicians in the hard sell, to some extent, as well.
I think it''s very civilised.

Arguments that ''in a free system, voting shouldn''t be compulsory'', well, I think they''re hollow, and probably prop up the incumbent government. I mean, taxes are compulsory...!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 11:08:41 PM
Yeah, compulsory voting.. although I don''t think voting is compulsory for local council elections.

I think it''s really cool too...

I think it contributes a general sense of civic responsibility in people, and I think it makes them feel both recognised, and invested, in government.

People care, and they think their vote counts.

If you DO miss the vote, you tend to get a little $25 fine in the mail.

So, it''s not like a jailable offense or anything
1.gif

But compulsory voting has created a culture where everyone gets off the couch and to the voting booth, without any particular political entreaty to do so.

I think it takes the pressure off the politicians in the hard sell, to some extent, as well.

I think it''s very civilised.

Arguments that ''in a free system, voting shouldn''t be compulsory'', well, I think they''re hollow, and probably prop up the incumbent government. I mean, taxes are compulsory...!

I''m in a comparative elections class and I thought that was really cool when I read that! I agree, I think it should be compulsory, too. Some people would FREAK here if we tried it, but I think it would be great. I also think some kind of systematic registration (maybe a form of automatic registration?) would help put an end to voter fraud.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I think it sounds like it could reduce voter fraud, simply because enrollment, and maintenance of enrollments, is done by an independent government body.
Because, theoretically, everyone or almost everyone is enrolled, there is little incentive for politically motivated organisations to ''sign up'' droves of like-minded people, let alone ushering them into booths.

The stories I''ve been hearing of students being rounded up and ushered into early-voting booths by partisan organisations is mind-boggling to me!

Don''t get me wrong, we do have campaigns over here, and sympathetic groups will try to influence their members to vote a certain way. But, it seems much more low-key, they don''t pick you up to take you to a polling station to vote as a block!
Hey, I guess it could happen. We seem to pick up a few ideas from US politics!

The electoral commission sends forms to every household, and asks you to fill in the forms to update their records. Sometimes people come door to door.
I guess it is theoretically possible to multiple vote at a variety of polling stations within the election day, but the assistant crosses your name off a list, and one would hope they cross check the lists of names somehow at the end of the day!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 8:29:03 AM
I think it sounds like it could reduce voter fraud, simply because enrollment, and maintenance of enrollments, is done by an independent government body.

Because, theoretically, everyone or almost everyone is enrolled, there is little incentive for politically motivated organisations to ''sign up'' droves of like-minded people, let alone ushering them into booths.

The stories I''ve been hearing of students being rounded up and ushered into early-voting booths by partisan organisations is mind-boggling to me!

Don''t get me wrong, we do have campaigns over here, and sympathetic groups will try to influence their members to vote a certain way. But, it seems much more low-key, they don''t pick you up to take you to a polling station to vote as a block!

Hey, I guess it could happen. We seem to pick up a few ideas from US politics!

The electoral commission sends forms to every household, and asks you to fill in the forms to update their records. Sometimes people come door to door.

I guess it is theoretically possible to multiple vote at a variety of polling stations within the election day, but the assistant crosses your name off a list, and one would hope they cross check the lists of names somehow at the end of the day!

I think your way sounds much better!
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have we found out why John McCain agreed to be the keynote speaker at this 2006 ACORN Rally .. you know ... if they were all full up of *fraud*?

And for those interested in the other side of the "ACORN issue" here is a helpful summary. And a "reputable news source".
1.gif

mccainatacorn2.jpg

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Did McCain give ACORN $800,000? If he did..I missed that and I stand corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results