carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Acinom's colors

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1426682099|3849054 said:
:love: :love: :love: at the group shots, thanks for sharing!!!

Don't go there re: pearls if I were you, as they are equally additive as CSs IMHO!!!

I am done with pearls for the time being, and have moved on to CSs. However, that is not to say I shall not buy more pearls, just can't afford to buy the ones I would like to have in the foreseeable future. :naughty:

DK :))

You're welcome DK!
Well we both have been quite on a roll CS wise 8-)
Your new Amethyst is really something special. I am so looking forward to see how that unfolds. Any news about the green Afghan tourmaline?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uh huh....like I believe it was before the Big Ban. :think: :lol: But seriously, the setting for the amethyst cabochon is perfect for it. Your other ideas for the remaining stones are great too. Looking forward to seeing them done.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1426695079|3849117 said:
Uh huh....like I believe it was before the Big Ban. :think: :lol: But seriously, the setting for the amethyst cabochon is perfect for it. Your other ideas for the remaining stones are great too. Looking forward to seeing them done.

Do I detect that you are not taking my future Big Ban serious Chrono? :shock:
Oh well, I have to get used to the idea myself :lol:

Thank you for your kind words about the Amethyst cab setting. Working with Chris from BE is such a pleasant experience!

I am so torn about how to set the sapphire set! The two ideas are so different... Not sure whether I want to add heavy metal stackers or the refined and delicate ring Sparkliesluver has suggested. Pffff

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One vote here for sapphire bypass ring!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1426694147|3849111 said:
You're welcome DK!
Well we both have been quite on a roll CS wise 8-)
Your new Amethyst is really something special. I am so looking forward to see how that unfolds. Any news about the green Afghan tourmaline?

I too am looking forward to receive my RH Amethyst and to have it set in a ring next. After that, I may need to curb my jewellery spending until the job front is sorted.

As for the green/blue Afghan tourmaline, Gene and I have an understanding, and I shall leave it at that. ;))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1426699532|3849156 said:
One vote here for sapphire bypass ring!

Another vote for the bypass ring.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the bypass. It looks more substantial and they are perfectly matched. I prefer stackers in odd numbers with different sizes.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your votes athenaworth, DK and pregcurious! This helps to sharpen my mind. Do you think the stones should be set NS or EW in the bypass ring? And do you feel it indeed needs pave like in the inspiration ring or could it be replaced by engraving?

I actually looked at that stone marlow! It however is too greenish yellow for my taste. It's a beautiful stone though!

_28108.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did think about how to set the sapphires when I posted my last message :Up_to_something:.

East-west would be my preference, or 45 deg to each other.

If I were to make such a ring, I would put a diamond halo around each stone, and have a plain wider shank instead.

Just my preference as I am not keen on a paved shank, etc. etc...

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
dk168|1426709962|3849224 said:
I did think about how to set the sapphires when I posted my last message :Up_to_something:.

East-west would be my preference, or 45 deg to each other.

If I were to make such a ring, I would put a diamond halo around each stone, and have a plain wider shank instead.

Just my preference as I am not keen on a paved shank, etc. etc...

Seconded on the 45 degree! :D

Though I like it without the halo, and maybe a more narrow paved shank.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Pure yellow is very rare - a hint of green and chrysoberyl get this magical neon touch...

In 4 weeks there is a small but very fine show in Munich - Many gem dealer from Sri Lanka, emeralds from Columbia, Rare gems.....

http://www.muenchner-fruehjahrsboerse.de/index.html

Maybe I see a nice Chryso....

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1426710503|3849232 said:
Pure yellow is very rare - a hint of green and chrysoberyl get this magical neon touch...

In 4 weeks there is a small but very fine show in Munich - Many gem dealer from Sri Lanka, emeralds from Columbia, Rare gems.....

http://www.muenchner-fruehjahrsboerse.de/index.html

Maybe I see a nice Chryso....

I believe there may be a good chance that Acinom will be there!

DK :bigsmile:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
That would be great !!!! :appl: :appl:

Small show so time enough to check the offered stones.

And there is a scientist from Munich University - they check Minerals and gems for free.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous!!!! I hope you dont bet banned for too long!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth and DK: thank you for the suggestion of the 45 degrees positioning of the stones: that's a great idea. :wavey:

Thank you for mentioning the Munich show Marlow! Unfortunately Munich is still quite far from where I live so there is no chance I can attend DK. Would love to hear about your experiences there Marlow.

I was afraid indeed that pure yellow is quite rare...
What do you think about the color of Heliodor (golden beryl) in real life.
Currently I am also eyeing a Mali garnet which has indeed a hint of green in some lighting.
Also, Finewater has a nice yellow cat's eye, but it is too small for what I have in mind.

Thank you for your kind words LaurenK :wavey:

Love that concave cut Chryso DK!!! Wish it was just a tad larger. Keeping an eye on it though :naughty:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Most fine colored heliodor or golden beryll is treated ! Or light in color.

And here is no way to say whether treated or not....

Some Mali or Grossular have a nice yellow but often a bit brown...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second or third the 45 degree positioning of the bypass design. :lickout:

The heliodor and Mali garnets I've seen so far have not been as impressive as chrysoberyl, colour-wise. They also do not have the same lustre or sparkle as chrysoberyl.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1426742992|3849408 said:
Love that concave cut Chryso DK!!! Wish it was just a tad larger. Keeping an eye on it though :naughty:

I forgot you have overcome your "size" issue!

DK :lol:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love your collection. My favorite colors are also the red and blue families. I too have been collecting other colors, however, to complete the rainbow.

I recommend looking into chrysoberyls because they're very brilliant when cut correctly, hard as sapphires, and the prices are great. It can be hard finding a saturated chrysoberyl, but they come up now and then. Tan on Ebay sells chrysoberyls, and every now and then he will post one with good cut and color. They are often trillions.

This one is not super saturated, but it is hard to find chrysoberyls that are cut into cushions, and this large of a size.
http://www.torraca.net/projects/chry902/

torraca_chry902.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you marlow, chrono and DK!

Marlow and Chrono: oww, I did not expect this yellow thing to be so complicated :read:. I a few moments I learned a lot from you. What about yellow zircons? I know they often turn brown but now I have also seen a neon yellow one that seems to be yellow, gold green and does not seem to turn brown in specific lighting conditions.

I ordered a fantastic vivid saturated yellow heliodor cab last week and it turned out to be ugly and washed out and also had 2 includions that were not shown in the vendor pic. So back to the vendor it went!

Chrono: thank you for your view on the bypass ring!! This is very helpful for me in sharpening my mind.

DK: it's a good thing right that you have an 'understanding' with Gene concerning your tent swallowing Tourmaline?
And I indeed have a size issue. :lol: I also love the look of bolder and bigger jewelry once women pass a certain age 8-)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1426770255|3849471 said:
I love your collection. My favorite colors are also the red and blue families. I have been collecting other colors, however, to complete the rainbow, just like you.

I recommend looking into chrysoberyls because they're very brilliant when cut correctly, hard as sapphires, and the prices are great. It can be hard finding a saturated chrysoberyl, but they come up now and then. Tan on Ebay sells chrysoberyls, and every now and then he will post one with good cut and color. They are often trillions.

This one is not super saturated, but it is hard to find chrysoberyls that are cut into cushions.
http://www.torraca.net/projects/chry902/

Thank you Pregcurious! It's a lovely stone from Torraca. I however got immediately distracted by the blue zircon which I should probably see as a sign! I will follow your advice and dive into Chrysoberyls. And take my time to find the right stone.

Do you have a link to Tan's store on ebay? He is referred to regularly here on PS but I cannot seem to find him 8-)

You have a preference for reds and blues as well and have collected many stones over the years. Do you consider setting your yellow stones?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Currently wearing my spess but this morning I was on my bicycle with my Amethyst ring:

_28127.jpg

_28128.jpg

_28129.jpg

_28130.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1426771122|3849478 said:

Aiii, I actually forgot to check the vendor section. Thanks Chrono!!
Will check out the Tan stores.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Acinom|1426771275|3849481 said:
I think it will be very difficult to find a large and saturated chryso in Tan's stores, unless it is a trillion. He tends to sell smaller stones.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
I know that yellow zircons are not recommended for rings, but given the size of your collection Acinom, I am assuming it would be worn occasionally only, therefore you might consider one. I purchased a lovely cushion shaped zircon from Jeff White a couple of years ago. It doesn't show any brown that I can see. I think I have a pic somewhere. It might be worth considering zircon if you can't find a chryso you want. _2350.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice zircon :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1426771889|3849484 said:
Acinom|1426771275|3849481 said:
I think it will be very difficult to find a large and saturated chryso in Tan's stores, unless it is a trillion. He tends to sell smaller stones.

Saw a besutiful blue cab on one of his store sites. Aaaah!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results