shape
carat
color
clarity

accept or reject ? lgf 83%-85%

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jin866

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have some questions regarding my stone and would appreciate some inputs.

The specs of the stone I have:
table 57%
deepth 61%
crown 34.1
pavil 41
sym ex, polish ex
hca 1.6 (ex vg vg vg )

lgf (deepth) 83%-85% based on IS image.

I know the diamond would sufer on the fire side. Wonder if it is still a keeper in your opinion? Checked with an appraiser, he said it is beautiful. The stardard of beautiful diamond here seems to be much higher though.

I am happy with other aspect of the stone. It is not H&A, but does have pretty good optical symmetry. It is pleasant to view it in the room light. It is brilliant, lively but not much fire. On the other hand, I don''t know what a firey stone looks like without seeing many different stones.

The thin stars are bothering me. How much would it affect the stone? What LGF would be too much? Is it a factor to reject the stone? Would the stone still receive top cut grade in the new GIA grading system? I am looking for some opinions to help making up my mind on this. I like the stone but also am afraid of making some mistakes.

Thanks very much for your help,
Nana

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
do you have an idealscope image?

jin866

Rough_Rock
No, I don''t. The vendor can''t supply and I don''t know how to take the picture. From IS, the symmetry and light return are very good as far as I can see. The arrows are thin.

Nana

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
so you''ve seen it? do you like the way it looks? that is really all that matters. you can make yourself crazy trying to find something wrong with it, when in reality it could be very, very nice.

jin866

Rough_Rock
Yes, I''ve seen it. I am still in the examing period.

Any other comments?

Nana

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamonds with long LGF can be very beautiful.
Does it speak to you in a wide variety of lighting conditions?
Does it make you think kewl i love it when you look at it?

jin866

Rough_Rock
Storm:

Yes I love its look in the room and under the sun. Haven''t seen many diamonds, I was a little uncertain about my own eyes. I once loved a diamond, but later on find it scored 5+ on HCA.

Just want to be really sure.

Thanks,
Nana

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
nana,
At some point you have to trust your eyes. We can look at numbers as a guide line but your eyes tell the truth. I have a diamond that I bought for a pendant and the numbers were a bit off as far as I was concerned. But in the long run I am very happy with it and am glad I bought it. I hope this helps you, it is a big decision I know. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
please post the IS image...

if the numbers are good and the IS image is smoking then it''s probably very beautiful! if you want to drive yourself nuts with numbers, you can and you can probably find a more ''precise'' diamond if you try (sometimes I like to try)....but if you think it looks beautiful in various light conditions then it probably does. view it in low lighting aka candlelight, view it also under track (recessed) lighting, in church lighting...in diffused lighting outside of the sun but in bright shade.

if you like the way it looks in all those lighting environments...it probably is great. it should not look the same in every lighting environment.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/23/2005 1:14:55 AM
Author: Mara
, in church lighting...
ABSOLUTE BEST lighting IMO
17.gif
! (at least at my church) has very strong over head lighting

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep Daniel it''s pretty amazing.

Also, today we were in a symphony hall for the Vienna Boys Choir in SF, and when they dimmed the track lights (tons of lights set into the ceiling which was VERY high up), my ring was literally on FIRE, blazing..it looked like EVERY FACET had a color inside it. It was just stunning, and moving it was just a burst of scintillation and color. I had a hard time concentrating on the music.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2005 2:11:20 AM
Author: Mara
Yep Daniel it''s pretty amazing.

Also, today we were in a symphony hall for the Vienna Boys Choir in SF, and when they dimmed the track lights (tons of lights set into the ceiling which was VERY high up), my ring was literally on FIRE, blazing..it looked like EVERY FACET had a color inside it. It was just stunning, and moving it was just a burst of scintillation and color. I had a hard time concentrating on the music.

yep one of the best lighting for diamonds.
multiple small sources from a distance.
This is simular to being under a tree with sun light filtering thru the leaves breaking up the light which is my favorite diamond lighting.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Yea Mara, 1.6 will give off some NICE light
29.gif
!

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/23/2005 2:31:06 AM
Author: strmrd

yep one of the best lighting for diamonds.
multiple small sources from a distance.
This is simular to being under a tree with sun light filtering thru the leaves breaking up the light which is my favorite diamond lighting.
~Storm~
Too bad we''re under a tree, what, once a year?
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not?

Diamonds have been cut with skinny pavilion facets to improve brilliance for the longest time. It is not a new trick at all. If you turn out to like it, than you will be one of many who do so if offered the choice.

Among H&A diamonds, these ones with longer facets show less of the ''darkness'' that wide arrows give in some lights or when looked at close up. I am not aware of any other tradeoffs between the wide and thin arrow varietis... Perhaps it is only a narrow set of proportions that still yields a perfect H&A pattern with the thin star and this is why they are not as often cut (since the H&A is the marketing point for better or worse). But this is not a bad thing.

A couple of branded roud cuts already use thin, long lower girdle facets to their advantage - I am thinking of the Solasfera and Royal Brilliant... and there must be others.

If you can take a look at this compared to the other sort of H&A (Eight Star diamonds have wide star patterns like that), you may well preffer the thin arrows.

Just a thought...
34.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2005 11:16:38 PM
Author:nana

I know the diamond would sufer on the fire side.

Not sure it has to...

I am happy with other aspect of the stone. It is not H&A, but does have pretty good optical symmetry. It is pleasant to view it in the room light. It is brilliant, lively but not much fire. On the other hand, I don''t know what a firey stone looks like without seeing many different stones.The thin stars are bothering me. How much would it affect the stone?

I suspect the shotage of fire is not due to the long pavilion facets alone. Could be wrong... but I would be surprised if there wasn''t a way to make a ''fiery'' round like that.

Would the stone still receive top cut grade in the new GIA grading system?

That, only GIA knows... I don''t think they released enough information about the new system for anyone to know for sure.

I am looking for some opinions to help making up my mind on this. I like the stone but also am afraid of making some mistakes.

It would help to see more stones. If you are after an ideal cut of some sort, than there should be some around. Even if you would not consider a branded one, take a look at some if that is easier to find. At least you would know if a different style is more appealing to you. It always helps seein some options, IMO.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
IS photo''s
Try any digital camera in normal long distant mode with thew lens.
You can try sitting the scope on top of the camera, upside down, with a sheet of cling wrap to balance the stone - as per Winks hand made version for ASET.

Or pull the reflector out and use macro on the camera if it goes up close enough.

But really -the stone you have sounds very good - are you a naturally OCD person Nana?

jin866

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone who gave me their input. I feel a lot more comfortable now.

Garry, I might very well be OCD naturally
2.gif

I am a really picky person. I don''t get to do this very often, just need to be really sure.

Thanks,
Nana

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
your diamond sounds lovely nana. now go find some track lighting and enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results