shape
carat
color
clarity

Absurd setting prices?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/14/2005 7:14:23 PM
Author: crankydave
Strmrdr,

Let me try this another way...

The jeweler you prefer to deal with and the prices you prefer exist because of the other more expensive outlets that contract him to do their work. For the sake of our discussion, lets eliminate the outlets you contend have no added value e.g. the places that charge 1200-1800 for the 600 he bills. Now what? Customers go directly to him and everyone else like him.

No way to handle the demand as a one man show anymore. Gotta hire someone, maybe two. Gotta have some sort of 'place' more suited than just a shop and/or office to handle it. This costs money. The 600 tag is now 800. What about the additional insurance to cover clients while on your property? What about the new POS system, inventory and accounting system that you need now? The 800 tag is now 1000, then 1200, then 1800. Slowly but surely the expeses add up that need to be paid for. Sooner or later someone comes along without those expenses and says 'Hey, I can do the same the for 600'.

You criticize and denounce the very thing that allows you deal with whom you do and the price you pay. The very thing that allows the jeweler you use to do what the do in the manner in which they do it for a price they can pay the bills with.

Close to home? Not even close.

Dave
Well written Dave.
Or as Michael gerber say's in the E-Myth http://www.e-myth.com/
The technician has a day dream that he can do what his boss does for less and make more money.
The Entrepuenerial myth is begun

Ha ha

I am just starting to research settings, so I can''t be of any help - but -

where did you find the setting you are talking about? it sounds like what I''m looking for too!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results