shape
carat
color
clarity

Abridged specs vs. full lab report

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jhonts

Rough_Rock
I recently went to a very reputable jeweler to look at a couple of stones for the setting I had selected at the same jeweler. For the stone I ended up being most interested in, I was shown only the abridged certification detailed on the envelope containing the stone (4C''s, 3 dimension measurements, and "Tolkowsky" cut). Realizing that there are other specs that can affect price, I requested the full lab certification, but the jeweler initially hesitated, explaining that:

1. obtaining the full cert might take some time,
2. obtainin the full cert would be an expense, that they would prefer not to incur this expense if I was still considering other stones, and
3. in any case I could get all the information I need from the abbreviated certification data.

This struck me as odd (not least because there was a full cert available for one of the other stones I was looking at). Although the jeweler has since obtained the full lab certification and is offering to make it available to me, I am concerned that the initial hesitation to provide me with the full report is a sign of (attempted) unfair dealing that should lead me to question the jeweler''s integrity. Am I right to think this, or is it common practice for jewelers to initially give less than a full lab cert? Do jewelers incur substantial expenses in obtaining full lab certifications?

Thanks in advance for your replies; I''m new to this forum, and I appreciate your help.

Jhonts

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some labs offer an abbreviated report which will prove to be partial, but identical in color and clarity grading to the later requested "full report" from this same lab. It does cost a few extra dollars and does little to indicate value one way or the other. The "attitude" some sellers adopt with some customers is what creates more problems than a lack of information. It just makes people suspicious. Probably nothing is wrong, but once you feel less than well served, it is very difficult for a seller to get back in your good graces. Good advice with all important purchases is to be careful, know the return policy, and GET ALL REPRESENTED DETAILS IN WRITTEN FORM from the seller.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
As always, very good advice from oldminer!!
36.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I guess I don''t really understand this.

He says obtaining the full cert would be an expense and he''d prefer not to incur the expense while you''re still considering other stones, and then he subsequently obtains it anyway and now offers to make it available to you? Why the change of heart? Did it get "less expensive" to get it somehow?

My suspicion is this: I don''t think he''s trying to be "dishonest".....I just think he employed a common sales move on you. He was trying to "trial close" you.....trying to gauge how serious you were about this stone. When negotiating, it''s common to get something for everything you give. In this case, it sounds as though he was trying to "get something" from you (a sense of your readiness to buy that stone) in exchanging for giving something (putting in the legwork to procure the full report).

It sounds like he''s have to go to his supplier to get the full cert (especially because he commented that it would take a bit of time to get). It also sounds like he''s willing to do it IF he thinks he really has a chance at making the sale, and that''s what he''s trying to gauge.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
In most cases, for me, a mini report or DQD or dossier report is fine (other than the fact that the EGL mini looks a little hokey). I don't need the fancier paper or folders. For GIA reports, the sarin info is still required and the AGS reports have all the info. I don't value the clarity plots much. A visual is much better and in cases when a visual is not possible, a darkfield or magnified picture is much better than the plot.

I don't place any value on a mini or a full report other than for a larger stone a full report is usually more customary given the price. However, I believe WF uses the different AGS versions on ACA and ES stones. I don't believe the reports on ES stones are lacking in any way to make a purchase decision.

Jhonts

Rough_Rock
Many thanks for your response, Old Miner!

As it turns out, the jeweler got the EGL certificate for the stone, which reads:

Round brilliant
1.14 ct, G, VS2
6.67 - 6.63 X 4.20 mm
Depth: 63.2%
Table: 56%
Crown: 14%
Pavilion: 44%
Girdle: Medium to Sl. Thick Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good to Very Good
Fluor: Very faint blue

The jeweler is charging $6850 for the stone. Although the stone is clean and brilliant to the eye, my concern is that the depth % is too high. According to what I''ve read, 63% total depth is simply not an ideal cut. Is this stone poorly proportioned? If so, then why is this reputable jeweler telling me (when I raised the question) that 63% is within "Ideal" and Tolkowsky cut tolerances?

Again, I truly appreciate any advice you can give me.
Jhonts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results