shape
carat
color
clarity

About to Buy: Couple of Choices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wad06

Rough_Rock
Okay, I've been doing a fair amount of research, and while I think I have a decent handle on this stuff, it can't hurt to ask the experts.

I found an ~2.5 carat oval cut diamond GIA reported with the following characteristics:

Oval Brilliant
Measurements: 9.75 x 7.16 x 4.98 mm
Depth: 69.6%
Table: 59%
Girdle: Thin to Very Thick, Faceted
Cutlet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VVS1
Color: G
Flo.: None

HPHT Processed is inscribed on the girdle. - I'm not sure what to think of this - is it the color enhanced version of clarity enhanced? Does it reduce the value of the diamond?

What would you guys value this diamond at?

The second diamond I'm looking at has the following characteristics:

Cut-Cornered Square Modified Brilliant
6.56 x 6.41 x 4.81
1.67 carat
Depth: 75%
Table: 64%
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick
Cutlet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS2
Color: G
Flo: None
Surface graining is not shown.

I've never heard of this cut. Is it similar to a princess cut?

How would you guys rate these rings. The color and clarity are satisfactory to me, but I'm not sure about the table and depth. I know a lot of people talk about 60/60, but I'm not sure how much margin of difference is acceptable (ie: while Internally Flawless is the best clarity, I find VS2 to be fine for me - I can't tell a difference without a magnifier; while D is the "best" color, I find F and G to be colorless too).

What should I expect for $14,000 if I would like to stay at F-G and VS2 or better?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Wad

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
I''m not a diamond expert (though I''d like to be
1.gif
) but someone on these boards should be able to give you an answer. There are lots of "ideal rocks" on this board!

In the meantime, have you tried Pricescopes diamond search tool? On the home page you are able to search according to shape, carat, color, clarity, etc. It may give you an idea of what to expect in your price range and color/clarity requirements!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
As Vuittongal stated there are tools on this site which can help determine the typical prices for a certain type of diamond. There is also information on fancy shapes under Knowledge at the top of the page. You should also try a search for HPHT and cut cornered square modified as there have been several discussions on these subjects that might be of help to you.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
these are two very different looks...what are you going for exactly?
60/60 is a term used with rounds. fancy cuts are in a league of their own, so to speak, and do not follow the same rules as rounds.

wad06

Rough_Rock
I hate to say this, but I''m not after a specific look. I have taken my future bride ring shopping, and she is pretty open to anything. I''m also pretty open to anything.

The second diamond is more what I''m looking for (1.5 carat princess, F-G, VS1-VS2). But when some one offered me the first, I figure it was something I should give some consideration to.

Where can I get some info on oval cut diamonds (as in ideal measurements, depth and table)?

Also, do any of you have any opinions on the above two diamonds?

Wad

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally, i don''t think the cut cornered squares look anything like a princess. especially once they are set. if you want the square look of a priincess, there is no substitute.

you can go to www.gemappraisers.com and look at the cut grading charts/rules to learn about proportions for an oval.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The chart belle just gave you is very helpful. Good luck!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results