shape
carat
color
clarity

About to buy an asscher with halo/pave - question on face color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pons

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone -

this is my very first post on Pricescope. This site is fantastic and so I''ve learned to much. thaks to all for your posts. well, good news for me is that i''m in the market for an engagement ring - and early 2006 seems to be the lucky year. After all this reserach, and getting some input from her, i/we have decided on an asscher diamond with a halo / pave setting. This week I was able to go to many stores and look at a bunch of diamonds, and i think i got a lot of my questions answered - it was good not to go in there blindly - i think the guys behind the counter knew i did my research.

anyway, now i''m in my final stages i think. I believe i am ready to take the plunge. here are my issues

1. it''s been discussed, but royal asscher vs square emerald/''generic'' asscher. i hate it being referred to as ''generic.'' anyway, based on all the posts, etc, i guess it just comes down to a personal preference if i look the look of the stone. I think there is enough difference between the ''generic'' that can lead me one way or the other. and sure, there is some sex appeal to knowing that would own a genuine, ''royal asscher'' - a fairly rare diamond. but i really like the look of the royal asscher.

2. now a big question i have for all of you is regarding color. I saw a bunch of beautiful asschers recently - in a wide range of colors. I think when there was the bright light, the white paper, and the ring was TURNED OVER i could tell teh difference between the I''s and the F/Gs (barely, but i could tell if i had to put money on it). However, it seemed that when looking at it from the top and shaking the tray back and forth, i could barely/hardly notice anything !! it was more the cut that made the difference of how much it sparkled. The question for all of you now is, if I get an asscher diamond in one of those halo rings with pave setting - would that allow me to go ''lower'' on teh color scale - because we''d really only be seeing the diamond from face up in that type of setting (vs, it''s not in a solitaire setting where you see it from the sides and all)? --- like perhaps i could get a lower colored RA, but the cut would still ensure that it is very bright and sparkly.

3. I guess it''s up to what is acceptable to ME (and my girlfriend) - regarding the diamond specs, (and the large investment) but i have to be honest - so many of the diamonds i saw were AMAZing, and it''s only when i had 3-4 diamonds next to each other in optimal conditions that i had to really push myself to tell teh differnce. i am sure they would all look awesome on the final setting. but, i still want to stay on my budget, and the extra 2-3K for a F/g vs an H/I - ahh all this complicates everything. Sometimes i will i was less educated about this and just got something that looks good. but that damn perfectionist inside me....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can see enough color in the I ra's iv seen(2) face up too bug me in some lighting conditions.
I like to stay above h in asschers myself but if you and here have seen them and the i color is ok then go for it :}
What you 2 like is what counts :}

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Color really is a personal preference so if you don''t notice any difference b/t a lower and higher color face-up then I see no reason to pay for a higher color. OTOH, make sure you look at the stone under different lighting conditions. Hold it under the table, away from the jewelry store lights, cup your hand over it, take it by the window. If the jeweler lets you, take it *outside* to see what it looks like in real life.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like to have the cut off for an asscher at H. But you've seen the stones and we haven't. Usually with an I you will see some color. If it looks great to you and your GF, then that's all that matters. You didn't mention clarity. That's important too. Of course if you can provide us with pics, that would be a BIG help. Good luck. I have a generic asscher from GOG, .92 E VS1. I am in love with it!!!
2.gif

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for bringing up this topic if Storm and Kaleigh are saying H is the cutoff they''ll know what they are talking about
2.gif
if you can post some pix esp side by side that would be really cool! Best of luck in your search and happy holidays!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/25/2005 10:41:08 PM
Author:pons

Sometimes i will i was less educated about this and just got something that looks good.
I thought the info is about learning what to look for because one can''t see everything that is out there, i.e. what you see in the end maters.

My 2c
2.gif

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I just an asscher cut halo e-ring, set in platinum. I absolutely LOVE it. So good choice!

It is a vvs2 and I color. I can't really see color in it most of the time. Every once in a while, I'll think I see a bit of tint...and I call whoever I'm with and ask them to look at the ring and see if they can see color. No one has yet to say that they could see anything other than sparkle and no one has confirmed that they see any color.

My ring is also really well cut - the thing has more depth and fire and sparkle than I could have ever imagined. I just kind of get lost in it.

So yeah...for what it is worth, I don't regret my I...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2005 7:06:20 PM
Author: littlelysser
My ring is also really well cut - the thing has more depth and fire and sparkle than I could have ever imagined. I just kind of get lost in it.

Your reply made me grin :}
There is nothing on earth like a well cut asscher!
No matter what the color.

"I just kind of get lost in it"
I know the feeling that is what I love about asschers.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Hello!

The ring sounds very pretty. I love Royal Asschers!

I have an antique asscher (or square emerald cut =)) platinum ring. It is "I" and I can only tell next to a D-F. Perhps it is just me....

My ring is larger since the diamond is "lower" in color. It is 2ct.

I love it and wouldn''t change a thing. If you like the color, go for it. The average person will not notice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results