shape
carat
color
clarity

About Old European Cut diamonds and grading

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Do antique OEC''s ever get a very good, or excellent cut grade? Should I view a good polish and symmetry grade for an antique OEC the way one does for a rb? As in not really good enough for a beautiful diamond. (Yes, I know the look is totally different).
Thank you for the help.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rarely do these old stones get modern excellent grades. They may look superb, but they are crafted in different ways and have different characteristics which just don''t quite equate to modern diamonds, in general.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The GIA cut grading scale only applies to modern round brilliant cuts and they simply don''t assign a cut grade to any OEC that they grade. Similarly, AGS only assigns a cut grade to princess and round brilliant cuts. I''m not aware of any lab that assigns a cut grade for OEC''s on their reports but this doesn''t mean that a stone isn''t fabulous, only that the labs aren''t grading that particular attribute.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Right. It''s like sending your pedigreed sheepdog to a poodle show. No matter how great the sheepdog is, his weight and proportions, etc. are not going to fit the mold of ''best poodle.''

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results