shape
carat
color
clarity

? about bent ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I have a question about ring metal. I don''t have any major jewelry yet, it''ll be another 2 years before I get an ering
14.gif
. But the rings I do have are very VERY bent from wearing them on my finger. My class ring which is a thick (3.5 mm) solid piece of silver is flat and angled (the attched paint drawing is about what it looks like) and I have a 14K ygold ring that is beginning to bend as well.So I have two questions. How do I keep my rings from bending or how do I get them to be circular again? And what type of metal should I use in future rings or alloys should I have mixed with platinum or gold to prevent this when I eventually get an ering and wb??? THanks in advance!

Amanda

bentring.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Are you rough on your rings? Do you wear them to do rough work, like gardening or to the gym?

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I was rough on my class ring, have worn it for like 8 years. Waitressed in it, but my gold ring I only wear when I dress up and such. Maybe once a week and treat it really nice yet it is starting to bend.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
A jeweler can put it on a mandrel and make it round again IF the shank of the ring isn''t thin.

Then polish it and it will look rejuvenated again.

Rockdoc

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
You can take your ring to a jeweler and he can reshape it for you. After just having my wedding ring repolished, I now take off my ring at night, when I get home from work, when I do any kind of housework, gardening or odd jobs around the house. I put on my rings in the morning when I go to work along with the rest of the jewelery (earrings, necklaces, etc.) that I''ll be wearing that day. I know this will help them to stay looking new and shiny for a longer period of time.. As far as what metals to use for a ring, I think that 14k gold and platinum are the most resistant to wear. Silver and gold higher than 14k are softer and will misshape easier.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
My preference is a platinum alloy of 900 platinum and 100 iridium or 950 platinum and 50 ruthenium, with the latter being my favorite.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I do take my rings off once I get home and don''t wear them for housework. I did have my class ring reshaped by the compnay that makes it and it was just as bent in another4-6 mos. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening anymore to my gold ring or future rings? And what causes them to do this? THanks for the replies everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results