shape
carat
color
clarity

A Winning Day on Wall St....FINALLY

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
The bulls returned to the markets today, with the Dow shooting up more than 900 points, finishing the day at 9,387.61.

Thank God!

I had hopes that the market was eventually going to rebound soon, but I didn''t expect it to shoot up like this. After all the financial negatives lately, it was good to get a positive! But i''m staying cautiously optimistic in these uncertain times.

I''m just curious to know if anyone thinks the stock market had reached a bottom, or if that''s still to come?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
It was nice to see the market go up...unfortunately I decided to short today. Figures!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2008 5:04:07 PM
Author:ChargerGrrl
The bulls returned to the markets today, with the Dow shooting up more than 900 points, finishing the day at 9,387.61.

Thank God!

I had hopes that the market was eventually going to rebound soon, but I didn''t expect it to shoot up like this. After all the financial negatives lately, it was good to get a positive! But i''m staying cautiously optimistic in these uncertain times.

I''m just curious to know if anyone thinks the stock market had reached a bottom, or if that''s still to come?
no !!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I was in my financial advisors''s office for a few hours today. We were watching the Dow go up and up, all the while looking at my very depressed account.
(oh, the diamonds I could have bought!)
Jokingly, my H said lets buy GM. Advisor said no they are too heavily in debt to their suits and pension plans, blah blah... Ha, and they went up big time!

I think we will continue to experience ups and downs. There are too many unknowns out there. But there is a sliver of hope on the horizon.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings, when the bond market reopens after the holiday.

ETA: I don't think we've quite hit bottom yet, still too much chaos, and this is going to take a while to sort itself out.

Abril

Shiny_Rock
I hope the market goes down some more. Worse economy = President OBAMA!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
What?! I respect your political choice and expect further volatility. But, to wish that the markets stay depressed in order to achieve one''s political wants is beyond me.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 10:11:28 AM
Author: Harriet
What?! I respect your political choice and expect further volatility. But, to wish that the markets stay depressed in order to achieve one''s political wants is beyond me.
Right on.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 12:17:33 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone

Date: 10/14/2008 10:11:28 AM
Author: Harriet
Right on.
ditto

yeah, that was off base! (Abril''s statement)

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Let''s see what happens today with the announcement of the administration''s decision to buy shares in the top banks. I read somewhere that the last time this type of federal invervention occured was during the Depression era.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
The DOW is down again today
39.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 2:57:12 PM
Author: Linda W
The DOW is down again today
39.gif
yea but it wasn''t bad news more like business as usual.
There is always a fall after a gain as people take profit.
It went up more early then people started selling.
It was more of a normal day rather than panic.
overall it wasn''t that bad news.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Karl, you make me feel a tad bit better. (I think
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 3:42:36 PM
9.gif

In the long run the strong companies are going to come out of this better than ever.
If the PE ratios come down to sane levels and if they are allowed to think long term again it will be a good thing.
The easy credit and lack of control on leveraging investments and what type of investments is what brought it down.
A company can not survive the slightest bit of bad news when they are leveraged 60 to 1.
Easy credit and huge leverage left to many dollars chasing to little real wealth.
When everyone is talking about investing and more and more real and leverage money is pouring into a system that is not adding real wealth it is doomed.
That is the US right now not just Wall Street.
The only answer for both is to create real wealth and nothing done so far will address that.
So the market in the short term as is the US and likely the world is doomed to decline.
What happens on the other side is what today''s actions will decide and frankly spending money saving the system is the wrong step to take.
Spending money to create real wealth is the right thing.
In a functioning economy letting people keep more money helps a lot but not today because that money creates no wealth here and is spent on more junk from overseas.
Raising taxes will crash what is left of the system and goes against creating wealth.

How is wealth created? Create goods and sell them.
Services do not create wealth they merely move it around.
A service economy can not survive without infusions of new funds which has come from easy credit and over leveraged investments while the wealth of the country declined until we got to this point.
Those days are over or we are doomed.
What are we going to do....?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
From what I have heard and read it will take years (3-5). It will slowly go up again. Hit the top in a few years and sometime after that crash again.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it me or have the economy plus elections caused, or are correlated with, negativity on this forum? There have been schadenfreude, half-baked arguments and conspiracy theories in the air. I'm not referring to Abril, who has only made one post that crossed the line, in my opinion.
P.S. This comes from someone who is well-accustomed to unpleasant behaviour.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 5:44:43 PM
Author: strmrdr

9.gif

In the long run the strong companies are going to come out of this better than ever.
If the PE ratios come down to sane levels and if they are allowed to think long term again it will be a good thing.
The easy credit and lack of control on leveraging investments and what type of investments is what brought it down.
A company can not survive the slightest bit of bad news when they are leveraged 60 to 1.
Easy credit and huge leverage left to many dollars chasing to little real wealth.
When everyone is talking about investing and more and more real and leverage money is pouring into a system that is not adding real wealth it is doomed.
The only answer for both is to create real wealth and nothing done so far will address that.
So the market in the short term as is the US and likely the world is doomed to decline.
What happens on the other side is what today''s actions will decide and frankly spending money saving the system is the wrong step to take.
In a functioning economy letting people keep more money helps a lot but not today because that money creates no wealth here and is spent on more junk from overseas.
Raising taxes will crash what is left of the system and goes against creating wealth.

A service economy can not survive without infusions of new funds which has come from easy credit and over leveraged investments while the wealth of the country declined until we got to this point.

i am with you on creating some goods! i have been worried about this for a long time. we gave away our creating and need to take it back.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
14.gif
again !

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 1:59:23 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
14.gif
again !

I''ll say, I''m afraid what tomorrow will bring.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 2:07:24 AM
Date: 10/16/2008 1:59:23 AM

Author: Dancing Fire

14.gif
again !

I''ll say, I''m afraid what tomorrow will bring.
slight rally during the day finish down is my prediction.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2008 10:15:35 PM
Author: crown1

Date: 10/14/2008 5:44:43 PM
Author: strmrdr

9.gif

i am with you on creating some goods! i have been worried about this for a long time. we gave away our creating and need to take it back.
Put policies in place that encourage the production of goods rather than the churning of money...? Of course, giving the people in charge of the companies that had/have the ability to actually produce innovative goods (why exactly are we still producing Hummers??) real vision and a long-term view, well, that''s another thing entirely. The lure of greed is usually too strong for any real vision. Bad money does indeed drive out good. And we''ve seen that little bit of wisdom in action in a big way...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results