shape
carat
color
clarity

A waste of money?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
You people are TOTAL products of what you are fed!
No, we like jewelry.
My parents used to call me Magpie since I stopped in front of every jewelry store window since I was 5. I went rock-hunting as a kid. As a teenager I used to go to the local gem and mineral show. And I bet I'm not the only one here like that!
We Love Jewelry. We Love Sparkly Things. go figure.
20.gif

seeker78

Rough_Rock
You know what, it doesn''t matter... no matter what you say about me, or the relationship I have with my fiance, or the point I am trying to get across, It makes no difference. I am a young, attractive guy who works out alot, is very active, has a good amount of money, is involved in lots of things, and has a wonderful relationship with my fiance. So no matter how you attack me for my opnion, or get pissed because I hit a little to close to the mark with you ladies, my point still stands.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2006 12:14:47 AM
Author: diamondfan
Do you insinuate things about other''s marriages because you are fearful of the same thing happening in yours? Why would you assume someone''s love of diamonds has any relation to how close he/she is to their spouse? You have reiterated it more than once. It sounds like a case of projection, pure and simple. I guess that is what your wife to be has to look forward to, so you better let her keep her diamond so she has something to obsess over while you are out.
Summed up quite nicely DF, thank you!
1.gif

Blueroses...I''m counting down with you.

Funny how he says he''s here to present his opinion just to see if anyone agrees with him. It doesn''t take a GENIUS to know that if you go to a diamond aficionado forum to basically say "DIAMONDS ARE DUMB", then you are NOT going to find any supporters. DUH! Why waste your time posting? He shoots down everyone who he says is "passing judgement" while he goes beyond passing judgement and outright INSULTS every person in this forum by telling them that they need to "get a life" and the only reason why they are on this forum is because they are in bad relationships. (and how would he know that? beats the heck outta me) Either he has an overactive imagination or he''s just a bitter, unhappy, judgmental person.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Seeker78, I know you''re all fired up right now, but you might want to actually read some of the responses you''ve received before things got so darn heated.

You wanted to know if people might see your point. There have actually been quite a few responses agreeing about DeBeers, societal pressure, etc., plus stating that a diamond is absolutely not a necessity for engagement: I mean, bring on the twist tie or the sharpie pen. In fact, because PS is a diamond consumer forum, I''d say most of us are trying to actively counter-act the DeBeers "thing" by doing our research and stretching our dollar--and NOT going into debt and recognizing that it''s just a THING--what matters is the marriage behind it.

But rather than recognize the posters who have responded, AS YOU REQUESTED, and tried to say "hey, I see where you''re coming from," you have clouded the water with a constant stream of ad hominems about our collective intelligence, our apparently distant and lousy marriages, and the notion that we all sit at home and stare at diamonds 24/7. Your query was not expressed in an objective manner: you came out with your guns and insults a-blazing from the get-go. Understanding your perspective--or even agreeing with some of it--doesn''t take the "intelligence" you imply we all lack. But since every post of yours is LOADED with angst and accusation, it''s a little hard to stay on topic. Isn''t, it, seeker78. And......since you feel compelled to insult others'' usernames, I would wager that you are (shocker) one who was SEEKING--a diamond perhaps?!--and born in..... 1978? Wow. I now have all the information I need to make a measured judgement about you and discount or mock your opinions accordingly.

And by the way, I asked how your girlfriend FELT about this--not if she knew how YOU felt. Because you bought the ring for HER, right?

Hmmmm.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 12:20:34 AM
Author: lizz

Do you insinuate things about other''s marriages because you are fearful of the same thing happening in yours? Why would you assume someone''s love of diamonds has any relation to how close he/she is to their spouse? You have reiterated it more than once. It sounds like a case of projection, pure and simple. I guess that is what your wife to be has to look forward to, so you better let her keep her diamond so she has something to obsess over while you are out.
Diamondfan, I thought the SAME thing. If I''m not mistaken, you have a psych background too!
2.gif

Yes I do! A masters in clinical psych! And you?

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2006 11:49:14 PM
Author: seeker78
I am going to take a shot in the dark and say that most of you who are on this forum are middle aged women (or young women for that matter)... women who have there nice little diamonds, and don''t see their husbands very often, and when they do, are very disconnected... and therefore have to justify their exsitence by thinking...''oh well, he bought me a nice stone, he must love me tons''... You cling to that, and obsess about it, obsess about your diamonds and don''t really have a whole lot of anything else going on, cause let''s face it, if you did, you wouldn''t be here... So when I come in, a guy who offers a different opinion, based on experience, that contradicts your obsession, you jump all over me, saying I don''t know what I''m talking about, and diamonds are as valuable as anything else in life, and that any purchase is subjective, yada yada yada... Anything to preserve your standpoint... with names like ''i love sparkles''. I mean, do you really stand back and look at what you are saying...? how many people besides you, in your life, would realize and understand what you are about? And if they did, would you feel the need to lurk here?
I don''t agree with most of what you''ve written. Your assumptions are dead wrong. You have a serious case of buyer''s remorse. Talk to your honey about it, sell the diamond, make peace with what you''ve done, whatever, but move on already. Life''s too short.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 12:24:06 AM
Author: KristyDarling

Summed up quite nicely DF, thank you!
1.gif

Blueroses...I''m counting down with you.

Funny how he says he''s here to present his opinion just to see if anyone agrees with him. It doesn''t take a GENIUS to know that if you go to a diamond aficionado forum to basically say ''DIAMONDS ARE DUMB'', then you are NOT going to find any supporters. DUH! Why waste your time posting? He shoots down everyone who he says is ''passing judgement'' while he goes beyond passing judgement and outright INSULTS every person in this forum by telling them that they need to ''get a life'' and the only reason why they are on this forum is because they are in bad relationships. (and how would he know that? beats the heck outta me) Either he has an overactive imagination or he''s just a bitter, unhappy, judgmental person.

KD...read his post above, not only is he an insulting ignoramus, he is a narcissist, too! Isn''t his fiancee lucky? I think he is the latter of your two comments!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 12:18:10 AM
You people are amazing... I''M offensive? She should find another guy? Ha! Like I said, I shared your obsession for a little while, and bought her an eightstar, which is nicer than 99 percent of all your stones by the way, so shes all set. But, she does understand now that it''s total crap to spend all that money on a diamond, and she''s secure enough to know that it doesn''t mean I don''t love her, or think she''s worth it. You people are TOTAL products of what you are fed!

I see the short bus to bannedville in your future enjoy the ride :}

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 12:24:37 AM

Date: 6/7/2006 12:20:34 AM
Author: lizz

Diamondfan, I thought the SAME thing. If I''m not mistaken, you have a psych background too!
2.gif

Yes I do! A masters in clinical psych! And you?
Master''s in rehabilitation counseling and a licensed counselor.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 12:28:42 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 6/7/2006 12:18:10 AM
You people are amazing... I'M offensive? She should find another guy? Ha! Like I said, I shared your obsession for a little while, and bought her an eightstar, which is nicer than 99 percent of all your stones by the way, so shes all set. But, she does understand now that it's total crap to spend all that money on a diamond, and she's secure enough to know that it doesn't mean I don't love her, or think she's worth it. You people are TOTAL products of what you are fed!

I see the short bus to bannedville in your future enjoy the ride :}
HAHAHHAAAHHA .....yep. Agreed.

He's just trying to get a rise out of the troops.
9.gif
Someone's just bored on a Tuesday night with no place to go, and wanted to stir a little nest up. LOL

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Storm, he can take the scenic route, I''ll buy the ticket!
emotion-5.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I should apologize. I might have gotten this thread rolling in more of a non-friendly direction than I meant to by my first responding post. I was hoping the smiley faces and choosing the word 'Boo' would convey a more light-hearted and teasing sense than it apparently did.
So I would like to take responsibility for my part in how this thread has disintegrated both with that post and subsquent unpleasant posts I've made once I got ticked off.

I do feel that Seeker78's post always sounded like rather cranky buyer's remorse. So I second the idea that the best advice for him is to sell the ring and go on vacation instead.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blueroses is right. If you would calm down and READ, you''d see that many people here DO see where you were coming from. Many of us stated that we agree that basically, diamonds ARE a waste of money (but worth it if you love them and can afford them). So why couldn''t you just take that at face-value and respond accordingly? Instead, you responded with more insults, more judgements, and more offensive blanket assumptions about everyone on this board (how mature), and you expect everyone here to just take that sitting down? Hello???? Just because no one conceded to every one of your opinions (and admitted to being total losers because we love diamonds), you charged forward with guns a-blazin'' and shot everyone down. If you really expected that then you are not living in reality.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the thing. I don''t CARE that you don''t like diamonds, or that you regret spending a lot of money on!! I really don''t care--it has absolutely no bearing on how I feel about jewelry, and I know enough to know that it has nothing to do with your relationship either. Good for you if you have a good relationship: sell your 8-star and start a Roth IRA. I do NOT CARE!

You are missing the point. You are FREE to disagree, challenge, tear apart our opinions about diamonds all you want! Feel free!!!

BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE. And that is NOT why people have responded in force.

You have made MANY insulting assumptions and comments about us. THIS is what people have respnded to. Why is that so hard to understand?

It is your ATTITUDE and your INSULTS. Not having our precious little opinions or even our diamonds challenged.

(And if it''s all really crap to you, then why do you still feel compelled to assert, playground style, that yours is better than 90% of ours? Very interesting for something that means nothing and was a waste of money.)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 12:26:20 AM
Author: Leila

Date: 6/6/2006 11:49:14 PM
I am going to take a shot in the dark and say that most of you who are on this forum are middle aged women (or young women for that matter)... women who have there nice little diamonds, and don''t see their husbands very often, and when they do, are very disconnected... and therefore have to justify their exsitence by thinking...''oh well, he bought me a nice stone, he must love me tons''... You cling to that, and obsess about it, obsess about your diamonds and don''t really have a whole lot of anything else going on, cause let''s face it, if you did, you wouldn''t be here... So when I come in, a guy who offers a different opinion, based on experience, that contradicts your obsession, you jump all over me, saying I don''t know what I''m talking about, and diamonds are as valuable as anything else in life, and that any purchase is subjective, yada yada yada... Anything to preserve your standpoint... with names like ''i love sparkles''. I mean, do you really stand back and look at what you are saying...? how many people besides you, in your life, would realize and understand what you are about? And if they did, would you feel the need to lurk here?
I don''t agree with most of what you''ve written. Your assumptions are dead wrong. You have a serious case of buyer''s remorse. Talk to your honey about it, sell the diamond, make peace with what you''ve done, whatever, but move on already. Life''s too short.
That would be a normal thing to do Leila, but he choose to come back to this community which he used when he needed it, to insinuate about member''s marriage problems
14.gif
instead. It''s a troll.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee....maybe if he returned the rock, he could spring for some LEMON PIE for everyone! With real cream!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results