shape
carat
color
clarity

a visit to Tiffany''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the spur of the moment today, I decided to go to the Tiffany''s an hour from here. I needed to see some things in real life to be able to fine tune my wish list of Tiffany and Tiffany repro items! I wanted to get some ideas for my wonderful PS gift, too! There''s nowhere as fun to try on jewelry in my general area as Tiffany''s.

First I tried on the DBY pieces. They were beautiful! What I found out was that I did not like the ones that had the stones placed far apart. They had one with 5 pointers, and it was way to small. I saw a bracelet with 8 pointers, and it was okay, but I am thinking a little larger would be better. The ones above 12 points seemed a little more blingy than I want, not to mention cost prohibitive. I also tried on the sapphire bezel studs (.70 total) and adored them! But the price was VERY high...$1850!!! I am sure I can have some made for much less.

I tried on some regular diamond studs just for fun. I''d really like to have pairs in several sizes! (in my dreams!)

Next, I tried on bands. I tried on the Legacy band and LOVED it! It looked nothing like the highly magnified photo on the site. It was much more delicate and beautiful. I tried on the Novo band and it was very tiny and beautiful. I then tried it on with a Novo e-ring and I thought it made a terrific set! They are far more delicate than they look in the magnified photos. Tiffany really makes the mark when it comes to e-ring design. I love them all!

Then I asked to see Legacy rings with colored stones.
30.gif
They didn''t have a blue sapphire (which is what I want), but I tried on one with a beautiful aquamarine! I loved it! This will be on my wish list for a RHR!

I really see why people fall for the idea of buying there. The jewelry is beautiful and classic, and there is just something special about Tiffany! (But I''ll still buy my diamonds from PS vendors!
2.gif
) Incidentally, I had the nicest salesperson who also happened to help me last year when I bought a gift. The only thing that would have made the trip better would have been to have more time, money, and some PS friends there with me!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like such a fun day of bling-shopping, DS! Your descriptions are great, and what a good idea to go to the store and get a feel for what you might like for your next project/purchase. Can''t wait to see what you end up with using your PS gift!
36.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
How fun DS! Wish I could have gone with you!!! You really have to visit Tiffany''s and see their jewelry in person because many things look much different than they appear on the website. Everything is SO pricey, but they really do have lovely stuff. Keep us posted on what you end up choosing for your ps gift. Happy shopping!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do think the staff is very nice there! Remember when you were nervous to try stuff on there?!? Glad you had fun and I can't wait to see what you decide to get.

ETA: have you ever been to Perry's? They have some pretty stuff.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2008 12:51:36 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I do think the staff is very nice there! Remember when you were nervous to try stuff on there?!? Glad you had fun and I can''t wait to see what you decide to get.

ETA: have you ever been to Perry''s? They have some pretty stuff.
I would have called you, S, but I literally got dressed and left here at noon and went straight there. I thought it would have been too cold to take Tessa out, too. But I wish you had been there!

Yes, I have come along way from my first visit there! Having a really friendly salesperson really helps. She did not hesitate to show me anything I wanted, and some I told her I just wanted to see for fun.

I am not sure I''ve been to Perry''s. Is it at SP?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a fun outing, DS! They *say* a T&Co is coming to Pittsburgh this year, that''ll be nice, because the closest one to me now is HOURS away.

My only gripe with T&Co (besides the prices! haha!) is the *iffy* quality of their melee. I recently mail ordered one of their Picasso hammered rings with a .04 diamond set in it, and it came and it was lovely, very bright and lively stone, even sharp little arrows... but the ring was too small. So I sent it back and got a half size bigger, and that .04 stone was a full-fledged DUD! I cleaned it well (assumed it was just filthy), but that didn''t help. The diamond was just about *dead*. So at that point, I was frustrated and just sent it back and called it *done*, and saved the money.

That wasn''t my first bad experience with T&Co melee, either. Between my daughter and I we have mail-ordered a few T&Co things and ended up sending most of them back. I did keep my Elsa Peretti baby bezel earrings (.10 tcw), and they are fine, but honestly, one diamond is far superior to the other.

I''m sure in the *bigger* stones, T&Co is more consistent with their quality, but my experience with their melee has certainly been hit or miss!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/5/2008 10:42:18 AM
Author: Lynn B
Sounds like a fun outing, DS! They *say* a T&Co is coming to Pittsburgh this year, that''ll be nice, because the closest one to me now is HOURS away.

My only gripe with T&Co (besides the prices! haha!) is the *iffy* quality of their melee. I recently mail ordered one of their Picasso hammered rings with a .04 diamond set in it, and it came and it was lovely, very bright and lively stone, even sharp little arrows... but the ring was too small. So I sent it back and got a half size bigger, and that .04 stone was a full-fledged DUD! I cleaned it well (assumed it was just filthy), but that didn''t help. The diamond was just about *dead*. So at that point, I was frustrated and just sent it back and called it *done*, and saved the money.

That wasn''t my first bad experience with T&Co melee, either. Between my daughter and I we have mail-ordered a few T&Co things and ended up sending most of them back. I did keep my Elsa Peretti baby bezel earrings (.10 tcw), and they are fine, but honestly, one diamond is far superior to the other.

I''m sure in the *bigger* stones, T&Co is more consistent with their quality, but my experience with their melee has certainly been hit or miss!
Could be you got a bad one that slipped through QC...

I personally know that their melee is above "usually" decent cuts which other high end jewelers use!
But its very hard to get the top quality/ makes today as the Swiss watch companies are paying numbers in which high end jewelers just cant go there.

High end watch makers are buying up any and every TOP quality melee out there these days!! Actually..., Melee producers cant keep up with the crazy demand!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2008 11:46:02 AM
Author: DiaGem
Could be you got a bad one that slipped through QC...
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, that''s what I thought the first time, too! But it really has happened several times now. I wouldn''t "not buy" T&Co melee, but I would probably not go mail-order. If I could see it in the store first, and knew just what I was getting, I''d be fine with that.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just for your info>

Top quality consistent Melee is almost impossible to come by in mass quantities! (except for watch makers)

Sure some jewelers have them for some of their design use..., but a mass producer like Tiffany will not be able to obtain enough stones for its Melee needs!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2008 12:06:22 PM
Just for your info>

Top quality consistent Melee is almost impossible to come by in mass quantities! (except for watch makers)

Sure some jewelers have them for some of their design use..., but a mass producer like Tiffany will not be able to obtain enough stones for its Melee needs!
That is so interesting! Who knew?!
Well, it''s good to know. As always, "let the buyer beware"! Thanks!
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, sounds like such a fun trip. You already know how much I love going into Tiffany''s just to try stuff on and everyone at my store is always so nice so I don''t feel too bad when I leave never buying anything. They do have such lovely items which you can see why so many folks want to try and knock them off. There prices really are just skyrocketing though and I over heard a SA say to a gal trying on a ring that she should buy it soon b/c they were getting ready to increase prices again due to the price of plat. right now. I don''t know if it was a sales tactic or truth but since prices are going up everywhere my guess is it was truthful...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/5/2008 12:18:26 PM
Author: Lynn B

Date: 1/5/2008 12:06:22 PM
Just for your info>

That is so interesting! Who knew?!
Well, it''s good to know. As always, ''let the buyer beware''! Thanks!
36.gif
Not really..., the next up quality is amazing as well..., no dogs in that batch!!!
31.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I think inconsistency in the small stones is very possible.

I recently reviewed Tiffany''s booklet on Tiffany Diamonds and they laid out the very detailed work their lab goes through to ensure quality. However, when you review the fine print, that careful high quality assurance only applies to stones 18 points and over.

I have also noticed diverse quality in their small diamonds and semi precious stones. However, I think the small stones they use for their DBY line are usually good quality even if under 18 points.

I guess when buying small stones at Tiffany you really need to see it yourself before purchasing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is really interesting. Thanks DiaGem for explaining the melee issue, and thanks to Lynn for mentioning it. The only problem I see in the store is that everything looks great! There''s no way I could pick out less desirable melee in that environment.

This worries me a little, because I want Tiffany quality for the settings of things, but I want ACA quality on my stones. I''m not sure if you can get both!

I did buy something small on this trip, but I am waiting to show it once I am sure I''ll keep it.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2008 1:02:29 PM
Author: Beacon

I recently reviewed Tiffany''s booklet on Tiffany Diamonds and they laid out the very detailed work their lab goes through to ensure quality. However, when you review the fine print, that careful high quality assurance only applies to stones 18 points and over.

I have also noticed diverse quality in their small diamonds and semi precious stones. However, I think the small stones they use for their DBY line are usually good quality even if under 18 points.

I guess when buying small stones at Tiffany you really need to see it yourself before purchasing.
Thanks for that info, Beacon! This is GOOD INFORMATION to have!
36.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2008 1:18:25 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
This is really interesting. Thanks DiaGem for explaining the melee issue, and thanks to Lynn for mentioning it. The only problem I see in the store is that everything looks great! There''s no way I could pick out less desirable melee in that environment.

This worries me a little, because I want Tiffany quality for the settings of things, but I want ACA quality on my stones. I''m not sure if you can get both!

I did buy something small on this trip, but I am waiting to show it once I am sure I''ll keep it.
I haven''t been in an actual T&Co store for AGES, so I can''t attest to the melee in their lighting environment... but they do have a good return policy so if you get something home and are not satisfied, at least you don''t have to keep it. It would have been interesting to be in an actual store and seen those two Picasso rings side by side... I wonder if I would have been able to tell the difference between the stones? IRL, it was sure a no-brainer!

I know what you mean, though... who wants mediocre melee?! From my experience, I would say that the T&Co melee that I have seen has run the gamut from excellent to downright poor... sometimes in the very same ring! And at those prices, that''s a little bit outrageous!
38.gif

PS Awwww, c''mon, what''d ya get???! Even if you don''t keep it, that''s OK! We''d still love to see it!!!
12.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/5/2008 1:02:29 PM

Beacon..., can you define "careful"? And do you know the difference between the quality tollerances between under 0.18 and above?

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Yay for the Tiffany''s shopping day!! It sounds like you had a lot of fun and you deserve it!! When I saw you won $1,000 I was SOOOOOOO happy for you!! It really couldn''t have happened to a nicer person. :) So congrats for that and for a day of Tiffany''s!! hehe

Tiffanys00000.jpg

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
What I gather from the printed material is that stones 18 points and over are required to meet strict criteria as laid out in Tiffany's public disclosures. Under 18 points, the stones are evaluated at a different standard. To my knowledge, Tiffany does not publish the exact tolerances of their melee standards. They do publish their general criteria for stones over 18 points in general terms, e.g vs2 or better, I or better, certain cut criteria, etc.

This is not to say that stones under 18 points are bad quality, as I am sure they are not. However, it does point to the potential diversity of evaluation at the breakpoint of .18 ct.

This bears up under empirical observation as we shopaholics can see!!

Overall I don't think it is a strong negative, as one can return things quite easily.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/5/2008 1:58:14 PM
What I gather from the printed material is that stones 18 points and over are required to meet strict criteria as laid out in Tiffany''s public disclosures. Under 18 points, the stones are evaluated at a different standard. To my knowledge, Tiffany does not publish the exact tolerances of their melee standards. They do publish their general criteria for stones over 18 points in general terms, e.g vs2 or better, I or better, certain cut crietia, etc.

I dont think it is a different standard..., just limited to the fact that there are huge differences in quantities between Tiffany''s use of Diamonds below 0.18 cts. and over..., I would imagine if QC will have to spend the same time and energy inspecting under 0.18 as they spend on over 0.18 will make it impossible to produce the quantities they need and will jack up prices on smaller ticket items using these smaller sizes.

One thing I can assure you from my experience..., (you gave "I" color or better as an example...), I never encountered any I colored Melee''s which was used by Tiffany. So I would imagine that in some area''s in the under 0.18 cts. size..., some of the standards could be stricter than in the larger segment. just as a systematic precaution maybe?

This is not to say that stones under 18 points are bad quality, as I am sure they are not. However, it does point to the potential diversity of evaluation at the breakpoint of .18 ct.

This bears up under empirical observation as we shopaholics can see!!

Overall I don''t think it is a strong negative, as one can return things quite easily.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last minute things are impossible now with Tessa. Takes forever to get out of the house! We should try to do a GTG to welcome MoreMoreMore....yes, Perry''s is in SP. It is mostly antique & estate pieces. They have some pretty stuff. I went looking for my push pressie. Pink sapphires are just not popular right now. But they had some beautiful blue sapphire stuff.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2008 1:54:20 PM
Author: MissErin
Yay for the Tiffany''s shopping day!! It sounds like you had a lot of fun and you deserve it!! When I saw you won $1,000 I was SOOOOOOO happy for you!! It really couldn''t have happened to a nicer person. :) So congrats for that and for a day of Tiffany''s!! hehe
You are sweet, Erin! Thanks so much! (I LOVE your tag line at the bottom of your posts, by the way! Just perfect!)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds like you had a great time. I''m going back to NY to get my wedding ring on Thursday so I will make sure to try on lots!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2008 2:37:01 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Last minute things are impossible now with Tessa. Takes forever to get out of the house! We should try to do a GTG to welcome MoreMoreMore....yes, Perry''s is in SP. It is mostly antique & estate pieces. They have some pretty stuff. I went looking for my push pressie. Pink sapphires are just not popular right now. But they had some beautiful blue sapphire stuff.
I remember those days well! But we''ll definitely do a GTG when MMM gets moved in! I''d like to go in Perry''s. That mall is so huge, I am sure I haven''t been in all the fine jewelers yet. I went only to Tiffany''s yesterday because I wanted to avoid rush hour Friday traffic getting back home. It was bad enough as it was!

I saw a fantastic Legacy ring with a pink sapphire center stone yesterday, speaking of pink sapphires! Now THAT would be quite a push present for someone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2008 2:53:03 PM
Author: bee*
sounds like you had a great time. I''m going back to NY to get my wedding ring on Thursday so I will make sure to try on lots!
Fun, Bee! You are one of the few lucky ones to have a T&C e-ring!!! I did try on some adorable Lucida earrings and loved them! Do report back and tell us what you liked!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you had such fun. I love going to Tiff''s and of course getting my ring cleaned.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like my kind of day!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2008 2:56:50 PM
Date: 1/5/2008 2:53:03 PM

Author: bee*

Fun, Bee! You are one of the few lucky ones to have a T&C e-ring!!! I did try on some adorable Lucida earrings and loved them! Do report back and tell us what you liked!

Will do! I think for my actual ring I''ll just get the plain band as I loved the way it looked with my e-ring. I''d love to try on the lucida earrings-there was a pair on signedpieces a while ago and I drooled over them until they were sold. I really want to try on a legacy too. I think they make a great RHR with a coloured stone in them.

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2008 2:50:26 PM

Date: 1/5/2008 1:54:20 PM
Author: MissErin
You are sweet, Erin! Thanks so much! (I LOVE your tag line at the bottom of your posts, by the way! Just perfect!)

I really mean it!! You are so wonderful to everyone I you deserve every bit of that money. :) I''d give you more if I had it. hehe And thank you for pointing out the quote. :) I love quotes and feel stongly about certain ones therefore I had to share it. hehe :) Have a great weekend darling!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results