shape
carat
color
clarity

A tale of two stones

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
A While ago, I started looking for a birthday present for my beloved to give to me. As the theme for the party is “The Emerald City”, it was only right for me to get a green stone.

I began looking for one an settled on a Chrome Tourmaline. I contacted a fantastic cutter, who I asked to show me what he had available. As he had recently returned from Africa, he began cutting for me, and after a while I saw the most beautiful stone.

A 2.23ct Chrome in an Antique cushion cut, measuring 8.1 x 8.1 mm. I took photos of it but unfortunately lost me camera before I downloaded the pics, so I can’t show you how amazing it was to look at. You’ll have to make do with the crappy phone ones. And some from the vendor. I had the stone certified, it came back exactly as expected, a natural chrome tourmaline.

tsisoct.jpg

As I wasn’t having it set for a while with Christmas and other constraints, but got around to it and picked up my ring 3 weeks ago. The goldsmith was supremely impressed. He asked where I got the stone from. He reminded me to take care of it.

tsisctr1.jpg

tsisctr2.jpg

So, me being me, and the ring being shiny and new, I wore it. A few times. Then, last Friday night I was admiring it (as you do) and noticed one of the claws were loose. I ran my finger over it again, and noticed it was chipped.

Not just a little chip, a massive chip. I wanted to cry. I sent an email to the gentleman who cut it, as I couldn’t think of anyone who would care about this as much as I did. I looked at it again and had one of those moments that it might not be so – I will put it in a drawer, and hopefully in the morning it will be ok.

Well, as you imagine, I woke up, and the ring was the same. I thought I should take a pic and send it to the cutter, hoping he might be able to work his magic on it and fix it – although with the party right on the doorstep, it would need to wait until after then.

tsisctrch1.jpg

tsisctrch2.jpg

I received a reply, and my fears were confirmed. The damage was called severe. Ouch.

The cutter stated he might be able to cut a new stone in time for it to be shipped to me, and then be set and possibly have the ring all fixed up before the party! Oh! How novel! Working my head around figures, I though, why not.

A few days later I received an email with a picture attached. It was said the stone (coincidentally a 2.23 Chrome Tourmaline, measuring 7.9 x 7.9mm) was the second which was cut and the closest to the original in colour, however this one is slightly brighter. I was offered the option of purchasing it at a very good price. I couldn’t help myself. Yes! I’ll take it. The stone is shipped and should be with me on Thursday.

tsisnct.jpg

The delightful cutter has also said he will recut my original. I am over the moon, considering the upsetting occurrence which caused this. I will have the original set into a pendant. I have spoken with the goldsmith told them the story and they will have it set in time for my party.

Some of you will identify the vendor easily - he is simply fantasticto work with. Words cannot express the gratitude I have.

I thought it was a story worth sharing.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry that your beautiful stone was damaged. The ring looks gorgeous. The cutter who did your stone sounds like a real gentleman! I am so glad that he can make you another. :appl: Sometimes things just work out.

BTW if you wish to you can share the name of the cutter who helped you out so much. It will only help build his or hers reputation.

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
It was Roger Dery, of Spectral Gems.

He seems to travel to Africa frequently, which is a real bonus if there is something you want. I have nothing but praise for him.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank for sharing your story! I bet it was awful when you first saw that big chip, it was lucky you could get another so similar. Their beautiful stones by the way, hope you enjoy wearing the newest to your party!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Oh tragedy and resolutions! that it such a beautiful stone and such a shame. I'm confident he can spruce it up though and you'll have a matching set. Happy birthday!

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say Roger is a true gentleman and a masterful cutter. Glad it all worked out.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone, both times. SO glad you'll have your ring perfect for your party! Roger is wonderful to work with, one of the best; I can testify from experience, & cuts superbly.

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. This is often why we try our best to dissuade anybody considering wearing a tourmaline stone as an everyday wear ring. While they come in many beautiful colours, they carry a good risk of chipping unless worn with care and only occasionally.

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your kind word - yes, I must agree, Roger is fabulous to work with.

I was expecting the replacement stone to arrive today, but with international post, you can never be too sure.

Chrono, You're right about them chipping - that is the reason I was so upset - I had worn it perhaps 4 times, always took it off when I was doing anythign involving my hands, and have o recolection of it happening.

When the replacement arrives, I will post some pics.

Best,
tsis.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results