shape
carat
color
clarity

A tad overwhelmed.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

halfbreed

Rough_Rock

I am currently looking for an engagement ring and in preparation I have been scouring the internet trying to get as much information on diamonds as possible. Despite this fact, I feel as though my knowledge is pedestrian at best and that I am woefully unprepared for the task at hand. I would greatly appreciate any help that can be offered.

I have grilled my girlfriend in order to get an idea of what she wants in a diamond and the short of it is.... she cares about the size and the brilliance of the stone. As such, I have determined that I should look for a diamond with some of the following specks:

Carat: 1.5
Color: E-G
Clarity: VS1-SI2
Cut: This is where I am having a bit of trouble.

I would like to get a round cut diamond but I''m not too clear on the meaning or significance of the table and depth percentages. It is the cut that will determine the overall brilliance of the diamond and how it will refract light, correct?

Also, I am considering purchasing a diamond online, but find it to be a bit dubious. (I make this statement in ignorance) Isn''t a large part of selecting a diamond the visual inspection which is lost when purchasing over the internet. If nothing else, I am just a bit nervous buying something I haven’t even seen. How do I track down reputable dealers?

I apologize for the newbie level questions, but thank you for your help in advance.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hi Newbie,

Don''t be intimidated...this site should help you a lot.

Read the tutorial...

Consider reading some shopping tips from me.

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Well you found a great place at PriceScope and you''ll find out that you''ll get tons of help. Browse around a bit and you''ll probably pick up lots of ideas, thoughts, and information.

Some other things that might help is what kind of setting are you considering and what kind of jewelry does your FI like (gold, platinum, antique settings, ultra modern, etc). Give the folks here an idea of what she has exclaimed "That''s beautiful" over when you''ve been out window shopping....

OSU COWBOYS

Rough_Rock
I was in your shoes as well. I looked all over and decided on this one! Check it out! Look at the ideal-scope under this topic........ ideal-scope image? It shows my specs and the route I have taken in choosing a stone. By the way, if you all could, please give me some honest opinions on my rock I am purchasing before it is finalized!! Thanks

halfbreed

Rough_Rock
She tends to prefer platinum jewelry and just wants a simple solitaire setting with an eternity band.

Thanks for the help!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
....so, for example, one option you may want to consider, discountable further for Pricescope readers, is this one.

Sorry, couldn''t resist.

Let us know how it''s going, and best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results