shape
carat
color
clarity

A surprise present

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents just arrived in town a week before my wedding, and my mom gave me this ruby ring with double halo. I''m not so familiar with rubies (more into the blues and pads, hehe), but I think it''s a lovely ring. The stone is a deep pink-red with a slight purple tone, the camera is playing down the red a lot (maybe it''s the fluorescent lights?, sorry about that).

Anyways, some pics:

IMG_5782.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bah, ugly fluro lights!

IMG_5788.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awful lot of ring for my chubby hands!

IMG_5798.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
That ring is absolutely YUMMMMMMMMMY. What a sweet and thoughtful gift.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG,
What a beautiful gift from your parents. How thoughtful, and they have such great taste!! I bet they''re very proud of you as their daughter.
9.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has a nice translucency, and it''s looks like a clean cab to the eye, but definitely included with a loupe

IMG_5800.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the back, very intricate work.

I will definitely be posting more pics when the sun comes up, it''s night time so I''m stuck with the sucky color-warping fluros..grr.

IMG_5818.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Linda and TL!

My mom''s a hoot, she has some gorgeous rings, but never wears them! This ring is a bit big for me personally, and it very well might be going home again with my mom for her to hang onto a little longer. It''s one of my mom''s favorites, so I don''t think she''ll mind keeping it for me until I find occasion to wear it.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
What a pretty ruby, and that is such a wonderful gift!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
very cool..that stone looks like it has some glow to it..thanks MOM!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/23/2009 11:58:06 PM
Author: amethystguy
very cool..that stone looks like it has some glow to it..thanks MOM!
It''s definitely has a ton of life and glow! haha, even if it didn''t the double halo can be seen across the freakin room!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m not into halos at all but that ruby.....loving it!

mz

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
That''s really pretty! I''m not normally into cabs, but I like that one.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
MTG - what a sweet and wonderful gift! Wait, you''re getting married in one week??!! I had no idea - you never mentioned it here and you seemed so calm. Congratulations!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring and congratulations on getting marry!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I love it. No, it is not too much for the right occasion. I am sure you dress and go to the symphony every weekend, right? Ha.
Seriously, you could even wear it to dinner with jeans and a white tee shirt and high wedge shoes or something. Most importantly, it will remind you of your mother.
When I posted on your thread about your programs, I too was so surprised you were getting married quite soon. Maybe take a photo today to show over here with the program and ruby together. Remember, I thought they were coral and you said they are fire cracker red. They may look nice together.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a yummy ruby cabochon. I’m not surprised it is one of your mother’s favourite pieces of jewellery. I suggest wearing it a little longer; you’ll get used to the size soon. Trust me, getting used to a larger size is easy.
11.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2009 12:57:45 AM
Author: cellentani
MTG - what a sweet and wonderful gift! Wait, you''re getting married in one week??!! I had no idea - you never mentioned it here and you seemed so calm. Congratulations!

Yup, August 1st is the big day. I''m a little whirlwind at the moment making menus and finalizing details, but most of it is under control.
1.gif

And thanks Pink Tower! I''ll take a pic with the ring and the programs/invites/paper that matches, hehe. It matches the color of the programs very well, and I would wear it for the wedding, but I''m already planning to wear my lotus ring from grandma. And anyways, I''d have to get this new one sized this weekend if I wanted to wear it!

Yeah, I wear scrubs to work, and jeans at home, I"m not very dressed up. I''m also one of those people who think younger gals are more suited for smaller and more modest jewelery (just my personal taste), the ring looks much nicer on my mom who has more of that dignified, I-made-it, womanly aura.
2.gif

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Is it too big on your middle finger? It may look a little more balanced that way if your hands are small.
I would think twice about sizing down heirloom jewelry. Your daughter''s hands may be bigger than yours. (Yes, it will be here before you know it.)
I just deliberately had my new ruby ring made a bit loose on me. I can already tell my daughters hands will be much larger than mine, and it is hard to size things up too much or they weaken and also go out of round. She is tall and slim as a teenager, but her hands are already over a size larger than mine.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
It''s gorgeous!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
If you really think it''s too big for your hands, and it wouldn''t upset your mom, you could always have it coverted to a pendant/pin. Just daydreaming that lovely ruby is mine
2.gif
b/c that''s what I would do. I always wear some kind of pin when I wear a jacket at work, and would probably get more use out of it that way. I''m so jealous.
9.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
VERY VERY pretty, MTG!!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone!

There''s a pic of the ring on my middle finger, and it still looks so large to me! Hehe, I may send it home with mom until I get pregnant, maybe it''ll fit when my fingers get all swollen, AND it might distract me from the fact that I''m pregnant :razz:

She also brought back some pretty jadeite pendants for me (to give to my fiance''s family, there''s a lot of gift giving in most asian cultures around big occasions like weddings), I''ll post those pics later too since PS has a dearth of jadeite pics in my opinion
3.gif

I''m thinking of getting the ring appraised/tested, but I''m nervous mailing it to the AGL. Do you know if I can drop things off to the GIA in person? Or am I being overly paranoid?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GIA will only take loose stones. Not sure about the AGTA or AGL.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Probably not a good idea to do something rash with it a week before your wedding. You may regret it if you do!
I''d even consider wearing it on a chain if you wear scrubs a lot. I think people understand when you wear rings on chains, and it would make you feel good at work.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2009 9:14:07 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
The GIA will only take loose stones. Not sure about the AGTA or AGL.

Ahhh...thanks for the heads up!
Do I just take it to a local appraiser then? We have some very good ones in Philly so I hear.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely surprise present!!! I think it looks beautiful on your hand. The ruby just glows!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely surprise!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely ring and lovely gesture!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
How nice of your parents! I really am digging the cab, and I think it looks lovely on your hand!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results