color
clarity

A Sexy or Traditional Wedding Dress

hisspecialk

Rough_Rock
Trade
Me? I''m watching "Say Yes To The Dress"

and crying damn it!

But anyway there is a Bride on there having a delimma about going sexy with her dress or not (she''s getting married in a church - if that matters)

so my question is. . . have you decided what direction you are going with your dress?

Sexy and short or long and traditional. . . will you have a party dress for the reception??
35.gif
35.gif

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Well if we go with what i have in mind, its going to be like a two part wedding/reception.....maybe a afternoon wedding and lunch, than a break, and than dinner and dancing, so i will go with a more traditional for the first part and than a more sexy " Im a married woman" Dress....i was just thinking the same thing........what is everyones take?

getting excited

Shiny_Rock
Hopefully a good blend of both! I love the "fit and flair" type dresses. I would definitely want the dress to be too sexy or revealing, but want it to complement my body as well.

hisspecialk

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well we will be getting married in a church and i have really been feeling slightly above the knee dresses. . . .but my gram (ya know her word is BOND) lol has been saying it''s not acceptable for church .. . and i also love strapless but I notice the women at the church when they get married wear shawls or some kind of shoulder covering. ..which I would not want to do. . ..so I am very sure I''ll have a short sexy dress for the reception.. .i just don''t want to lose that bride look and look like one of he chicks who are there checking out the bachelors/ groomsmen.. . lol

I''l work it out though. . .

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ok I am obsessed with Say Yes to the Dress! sometimes my bf will even watch it with me :) :) (ok he''s usually not paying that much attention)

anyway I personally think that some of the dresses are way too sexy/revealing! I personally wouldn''t want to show a lot of cleavage in front of my boyfriend''s parents and grandparents...save it for the honeymoon

if you can go with 2 dresses that would be awesome if it fits in the budget...that way you can have one more suited for dancing at the reception!...some people on say yes to the dress seem to have no budget whatsoever...

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I am married and can say now I wish I had gone a more classic route, when I got married it was the 80''s, princess DI and all that and I had a dress with puffy sleeves and ruffled hem, while not outragous it is very dated looking to me now. If I had a choice now I would go very classic, think Grace Kelly classic and then if you wanted, a sexy fun dress for the reception.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I got married, it wasn''t that I wanted a sexy dress. I just wanted a sleek, 1930s evening gown style dress. A couple of people commented that it was sexy, and I suppose it was in comparison to the usual meringue style dresses. However, it wasn''t any more sexy than a typical evening dress.

I have no regrets. I''m not a princess-y person and wanted to feel at ease. It was so easy to move in and the flow of the silk was perfect in the photos of me dancing with my sister, walking, and just moving about.

DuckLovingVegan

Shiny_Rock
I also love the fit and flare or a very slim a line gown. It''s the best of both worlds to me a little sexy but yet classic.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I was torn between a sexy backless silk charmeuse evening-gown style dress and a more traditional a-line dress. I ended up going for the traditional one, but I really want to get an evening gown in the first style! K and I are going to a commodore''s ball in January for his aunt and I am so excited to get a really awesome gown.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I went with something in a more classic style and that I felt and looked beautiful in.

It was a fit and flare with a strapless sweetheart so did show my figure but not in an in your face way!

Really simple but flattering and totally comfortable to move around in. I did not have a train on it or anything. I wanted to wear the dress, not have the dress wear me!

I don''t think I ever considered whether to go traditional or sexy...I just went with what fits my own style and I still felt like *me* in. I even considered buying a non-wedding dress for a while!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d like to be sexy, adorable, cute, sweet and FUN FUN FUN.. This would be my second wedding, and being that I''m gay and not exactly traditional anyway (and I had that the first time around when I married a dude), I''m thinking it will have to be a fun dress. I was even contemplating purple! :O

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
I''m with getting excited. I want something with a little of both. Maybe a mermaid or a fitted bodice dropped waste a-line (a lot like a mermaid lol). I want something that doesn''t look too sexy but still shows my curves off a little
31.gif

dawnabee

Shiny_Rock
I love say yes to the dress! i cant believe the prices sometimes or the dresses that have see through corset topss! but thats just my personal opinion lol

I would like a flowy beach gown...I kinda have this one in mind from Davids Bridal if I cant find anything else that fits my idea (or if i try it on and its hideous obviously I will have to search again)
http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?catentryId=6110589&searchDimension=689%2B4294965107&subCategory=-49999486|-49995498&searchKeyword=t9850&searchKey=All&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49995498&searchSort=&searchDimensionName=DavidsBridal.com&langId=-1&currentIdx=83&y=0&search_category=689%2B4294965107&x=0&storeId=10052&ddkey=http:EndecaConnectionQueryCmd

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t really prefer sexy OR traditional - the look I like best is CLASSY

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
oh, i love that show! i DVR it and BF will be a sport and watch it with me in bed. although he can't stand it when brides go into hysterics during their fittings, he likes commenting on the dresses along with me. i've noticed that he tends to like the more sexy dresses (no big surprise there
20.gif
), but i'm with motownmama in that i would prefer something classy. a part of me wants a ball gown since that would be the only time i would and could ever wear one, but i'm petite and it might overwhelm me. i see myself in an a-line type of gown though...it's a nice medium. i'll be changing into a traditional Chinese or Vietnamese dress for the reception.

sure some of the more trendy and/or sexy dresses are beautiful, but i don't want to look back at my wedding photos in 50 years and say "what the hell was i thinking?!". i mean, look at Grace Kelly's dress - she got married in 1956 and she doesn't look dated at all. so beautiful!

Grace-Kelly-wedding-dress-1956.jpg

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
I like to show a little skin but in strategic ways. Like I love dresses that have interesting and lower cut backs. I''m fairly busty so even slighly low cut dresses make me look way more promiscuous than ideal. I''ll probably try to find soemthing that is a bit higher in front with cap sleeves or something and then dips in the back.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Some of the sexier styles really make me cringe. I think classic is best for me, probably A-line, sweetheart neckline, and probably straps, because I''ve yet to find a strapless style that flatters me, and I really don''t enjoy spending the evening pulling my dress up obsessively (which is what I would do, necessary or not). I know my mom would want me to wear a little shawl tio cover my shoulders during the ceremony. We''ll see. If I can find a style I like, I don''t mind. I''m not religious these days, but I do plan to get married in my family''s church for sentimental reasons, and I must admit even I do feel weird showing any kind of skin in church. For the reception, anything goes! I never thought of changing into a completely different dress. Is that common?

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I couldn''t decide what "look" I wanted either poufy traditional dresses were definitely not my thing! I ended up with a more sleek evening style dress for the ceremony and then a short red sassy dress for the reception. Four months later I''m still getting a ton of compliments on my reception dress. Here is my ceremony dress for reference

plceremonyd34.jpg

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my reception one, I can''t wait to wear it again

plshortreddress34.jpg

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 11:14:27 AM
Author: blacksand
Some of the sexier styles really make me cringe. I think classic is best for me, probably A-line, sweetheart neckline, and probably straps, because I''ve yet to find a strapless style that flatters me, and I really don''t enjoy spending the evening pulling my dress up obsessively (which is what I would do, necessary or not). I know my mom would want me to wear a little shawl tio cover my shoulders during the ceremony. We''ll see. If I can find a style I like, I don''t mind. I''m not religious these days, but I do plan to get married in my family''s church for sentimental reasons, and I must admit even I do feel weird showing any kind of skin in church. For the reception, anything goes! I never thought of changing into a completely different dress. Is that common?

I''ve heard of people changing dresses for the reception, though don''t actually know anyone who has. I always thought that was a cool idea, but I don''t think for me personally I could justify buying a wedding dress for a 1 hour(tops) ceremony and some pictures since my budget will be pretty modest.

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 11:26:21 AM
Author: purselover
I couldn''t decide what ''look'' I wanted either poufy traditional dresses were definitely not my thing! I ended up with a more sleek evening style dress for the ceremony and then a short red sassy dress for the reception. Four months later I''m still getting a ton of compliments on my reception dress. Here is my ceremony dress for reference
That is such a lovely photo. You look so beautiful and happy. How did you manage to hang those stars from the ceiling?

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 2:21:53 PM
Author: KittyGolightly
Date: 5/10/2010 11:26:21 AM

Author: purselover

I couldn''t decide what ''look'' I wanted either poufy traditional dresses were definitely not my thing! I ended up with a more sleek evening style dress for the ceremony and then a short red sassy dress for the reception. Four months later I''m still getting a ton of compliments on my reception dress. Here is my ceremony dress for reference

That is such a lovely photo. You look so beautiful and happy. How did you manage to hang those stars from the ceiling?

Thank you so much! The chapel was actually already decorated like that for the holidays (we got married December 26th) so we just lucked out!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
purselover I love your reception shoes!!!!!

anyway has anyone seen some of those dresses on SYTTD that are like SEE THROUGH and WAY LOTS OF CLEAVAGE...they start to look like lingerie IMO.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 4:38:03 PM
Author: slg47

anyway has anyone seen some of those dresses on SYTTD that are like SEE THROUGH and WAY LOTS OF CLEAVAGE...they start to look like lingerie IMO.

I remember one episode (could not tell you which one as generally I just see them randomly as re-runs) there was a girl trying on one of them in the fitting room (her very loud dad was there and was complaining left and right). It was the whole corseted-see-through-with-cleavage-knocking-her-chin look. Then, when she flicked her skirt up a little with her leg...I noticed the ankle monitor. This is admittedly me being Judgey McJudgerson, but I immediately thought "yeah, that fits".

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I don't really get the sexy dress trend. Sure, dressing sexy when going to the club is great, but I didn't really want to walk down the aisle in front of friends and family in anything considered "sexy".

With that said, my dress was strapless and tea length. Maybe you could say it was sexy, but I didn't think so at all. I wanted to look beautiful but I didn't want anyone thinking "wow, that's a sexy dress".

I'm always surprised at how many girls on that show say that they want a sexy dress.

eta: I don't necessarily consider fit-and-flare to be overly sexy - I was thinking more along the lines of the sheer Pnina's and super-duper cleavage dresses.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I think sexy can be understated - I think over the top, in your face sexy is a little inappropriate, but I don''t think classy and sexy are mutually exclusive. I think the kind of sexy that leaves things up to the imagination can be very classy and timeless, but plunging necklines combined with barely-there material is not a look I''d rock on my wedding day.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
If you are trying to narrow it down...here is a good site to browse for some dresses NOT to go for:

Tacky Weddings

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 5:16:53 PM
Author: elrohwen
I don''t really get the sexy dress trend. Sure, dressing sexy when going to the club is great, but I didn''t really want to walk down the aisle in front of friends and family in anything considered ''sexy''.

With that said, my dress was strapless and tea length. Maybe you could say it was sexy, but I didn''t think so at all. I wanted to look beautiful but I didn''t want anyone thinking ''wow, that''s a sexy dress''.

I''m always surprised at how many girls on that show say that they want a sexy dress.

eta: I don''t necessarily consider fit-and-flare to be overly sexy - I was thinking more along the lines of the sheer Pnina''s and super-duper cleavage dresses.

yes I agree, the super duper sheer Pnina lace lingerie dresses and in-your-face cleavage dresses are "overly sexy"

but a dress that fits you nicely and is not overly showy can be ''tasteful sexy''

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 5:38:08 PM
Author: RaiKai
If you are trying to narrow it down...here is a good site to browse for some dresses NOT to go for:

Tacky Weddings
This is too funny. Love the rainbow wedding and the 99 cent store wedding!
9.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 4:38:03 PM
Author: slg47

thank you
1.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results