shape
carat
color
clarity

A scientific question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We casually say that diamonds come in all the shades of yellow from colorless at D to quite tinted at Z and beyond. But diamonds have a highly limited structure and chemistry by their very nature of being nearly a pure element. Taking into account the chemical possibilities, just in the colorless to yellow series, and also taking into account the potential atomic structures, is it reasonable to simply assume every color is found, or would it be just as reasonable to assume that there may be certain colors that are never formed?

I have zero agenda here with this question. The thought came into my mind and I can''t shake it out. What do the experts know on this subject? It could make an entertaining thread.

THANK YOU

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Marty Haske question
35.gif

Also Sergey and Yuri are studying this field.

The colors are formed by the various elements that can fill spaces in diamond - these are mainly elements that can find a place to live in the carbon very close packed lattice.

IT is the element and its number of electrons in the outer shells, that cause very specific absorption. The color of the diamond is the color with that very specific subtraction.

The other cause is lattice damage - this is how we get most of the Argyle colored diamonds - the browns for eg can be very very pure.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

If I only knew--maybe I''ll forward your email to the folks at the R.B Fuller Institute......

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results