shape
carat
color
clarity

A ring I saw - help, please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
I was sitting next to a woman a couple of weeks ago and caught her ring out of the corner of my eye. It caught me, I guess, because I kind of gasped inside. I reflexively asked her if it was an OEC... she said "yes", I said "it''s beautiful" and that was pretty much that. It wasn''t a situation where it would have been polite to converse.

Anyway - it was really, really gorgeous. The setting was antique-y style, but not old - I think. There was something about the metal. It wasn''t highly polished (brushed, maybe?) and it seemed very, very slightly dark. Not dark enough to make it look odd or experimental. Like, just enough to trick the eye or something. I''m not even 100% sure I saw what I think I saw! As ornate as the setting was, the diamond was absolutely the star of the show. I don''t know if it was the stone itself or the metal that made it so, but it seemed to have a bit of an aurora quality to it - lots of color kaleidoscoping out. We were indoors at night, with not very nice lighting and the diamond was glowing.

I''v searched on black rhodium, grey rhodium, brushed rhodium, but haven''t found anything that looks like was I think I saw. Does anyone have any ideas?

*TIA*

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw an unplated 18k palladium white gold ring that had a bit of a "warmer" or "darker" look to it... could that be it? Was it a "warm" dark or a "cool" dark?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could it be a touch of patina from the platinum? I know the patina is usually a darker gray colour.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh... I''m thinking it was cooler. I''ll see her again soon and get a better look at it - and ask. Is it rude to ask for details about someone''s diamond ring if you don''t know them terribly well?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 4:42:56 PM
Author: Ninama
Gosh... I''m thinking it was cooler. I''ll see her again soon and get a better look at it - and ask. Is it rude to ask for details about someone''s diamond ring if you don''t know them terribly well?
Yep it''s rude. Unfortunetly, you cannot predict what someone will take offense to! lol
1.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2007 12:08:29 AM
Author: MC

Yep it''s rude. Unfortunetly, you cannot predict what someone will take offense to! lol
1.gif
Yeah, I have to agree that you dont know how she''ll take a question so I wouldn''t ask. In fact, yesterday I saw an old friend I''d lost touch with for about 3-4 years. We were at her workplace, in a conference room alone, and she asked me to see "the ring" so I showed her and she grabbed my hand (thank god she didn''t tap my ring!) and she gushed over my ring. Which was nice and was fine. And then she said, "So what is that? Like a carat and a half or what?" I said, "it''s two and a half" and she said, "oh, shows what I know about diamonds!" Mind you, I used to be very good friends with her and I suppose she felt it was okay to ask, but I have to be honest and say it was a bit weird. Even though we used to be close. So yeah, I wouldn''t ask someone I dont really know a question like that. Although...I suppose if you phrased it like, "Do you mind if I ask you about your setting? It''s lovely and I''ve never seen a metal like that? May I ask what it is?" Maybe that''s okay? It''s less confrontational and since you''re asking about the metal, not the stone, it seems somehow less intrusive?

Who knew getting the 411 on a ring was so laden with etiquette!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/11/2007 1:33:03 PM
Author: surfgirl
Date: 10/11/2007 12:08:29 AM

Author: MC

1.gif

Although...I suppose if you phrased it like, ''Do you mind if I ask you about your setting? It''s lovely and I''ve never seen a metal like that? May I ask what it is?'' Maybe that''s okay? It''s less confrontational and since you''re asking about the metal, not the stone, it seems somehow less intrusive?

Who knew getting the 411 on a ring was so laden with etiquette!

I agree with both of you. I was imagining myself saying something like that... that I''d never seen anything like it - that the metal is amazing looking. I wouldn''t grill her about the diamond (which is gorgeous) or where the ring came from. I''d preface it by saying I I think it might be tacky to talk about it, but it''s so damned pretty!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While it is true that you don''t know how one would react to your questions about her ring, I don''t think that it would be rude to ask her about her setting. I would not be offended if someone asked me about mine, I would take it as a compliment! I think that worded the way Surfgirl suggested that there is nothing wrong with asking!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results