shape
carat
color
clarity

a ramble

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I''m pretty sure I''m going to start rambling, so here is what''s on my mind: After one marriage and one messed-up relationship after my divorce that I guess I''m still getting over, I can''t imagine being in another serious relationship again. And that is scary. It''s not scary as in sad-scary, but scary because it''s not as an upsetting thought as I think it should be. My family members tell me that it is completely normal to feel this way (and they don''t even know the half of what a mess my last relationship was) and that it''s a healthy "gap," and my counselor of course tells me that this is "me" time.

I''m happy to finally be feeling happy again, but I''m also worried I''m going to end up alone for the rest of my life. I mean, I go to work, come home, play with my dogs, visit family and friends, etc, so I don''t really put myself out there socially because I''m not comfortable with that yet. When I have been out and been approached, I panic and I guess appear to be aloof. When friends try to set me up, I have no interest in that whole thing. Part of me feels that I have been in one romantic relationship or another since I was seventeen, with really no breaks or gaps in between, so maybe this is finally my time to relax and just make myself happy for a while.

I guess what is most alarming to me is my lack of interest in a relationship, period. I''ve never felt that way, even after my divorce. I know I''m still a little traumatized by what happened with my ex, and I don''t want to ever allow that to happen to myself again, but what if that never changes? I talk about this with my counselor, but she has a way of diverting my attention back to dealing with my self esteem issues and tells me not to borrow trouble (not worry about things that aren''t even on my plate yet.) But I actually feel that my self esteem has grown in leaps and bounds; I''m just worried that there is something wrong with me because I''m not wanting a special someone to share my life with.

I just have a feeling I''m going to wind up being a crazy aunt/old maid with a house full of dogs. Not that there''s anything wrong with that. Well I think I''ve just depressed myself.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I just can''t imagine feeling those intense feelings for someone ever again. I tried so hard to make things work with my ex-boyfriend for so long and tried to change so many things about myself (I know, bad idea) because I really just wanted to make him happy. I know now that I intentionally ignored the red flags and I also subconsciously thought I deserved his treatment of me, and I know that I will never allow myself to choose such an unhealthy way of life again, but that doesn''t change the fact that I truly felt intense feelings for him. I just can''t imagine feeling love for someone again.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mrs. Jam's I wouldn't worry about that, you are a lovely person. I do think you need time to yourself to heal and get to know "you" especially if you been with someone since you were 17. I think it will surprise you how much you will learn about yourself. Just enjoy time with friends and family; go out and have fun and (hugs) for taking care of you.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
You know, I have a friend that is going through something very similar. She is divorced and just out of a destructive relationship with her ''rebound guy''. She feels the exact same way you do. A relationship is the LAST thing on her mind...Yet the first. If that makes any sense. She longs for companionship, yet, she doesn''t feel quite ready to deal with the demands of a relationship. I''m no counselor, but, my guess is that what you are feeling is quite normal. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I am glad you are happy now and in a better place. Chin up...And keep up the good work!
9.gif
36.gif

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Skippy. Intellectually, I know you''re right. The last thing in the world I need is to rush into another relationship. I think I''m just a little mopey tonight. I just would like to know that one day, not any time soon though, I will be capable of feeling those feelings for someone again. I''m being a big waah-waah baby, as my 3 year old niece likes to call it.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Miranda! I know you''re right, and I''m not the lone ranger; plenty of people have gone through this before. I''m being a worrier tonight; it''s time to hit the sack!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have been through so much. You are doing so well. Take time to heal, getting back to the real you. You do seem to be in a good place. Enjoy that... The rest will come along when it''s time.
2.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 12:25:40 AM
Author: Skippy123
I do think you need time to yourself to heal and get to know ''you''
Mrs. Jam,
You have been through A LOT. I mean just from what I know of you has left me impressed with your kindness, courage and resilence...and you like dogs!
1.gif
Skippy''s words make a lot of sense...give yourself time, take care of yourself, spend time with your friends and family. You mentioned in a previous post how you are feeling more "normal every day" and that is great so that you know what works for you, what you bring to relationships and what you need. Our experiences make us stronger people.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 12:27:46 AM
Author: Miranda
You know, I have a friend that is going through something very similar. She is divorced and just out of a destructive relationship with her ''rebound guy''. She feels the exact same way you do. A relationship is the LAST thing on her mind...Yet the first. If that makes any sense. She longs for companionship, yet, she doesn''t feel quite ready to deal with the demands of a relationship. I''m no counselor, but, my guess is that what you are feeling is quite normal. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I am glad you are happy now and in a better place. Chin up...And keep up the good work!
9.gif
36.gif
I also have a friend who is going through someting similar. She is seven months our of her bad relationship and just now beginning to contemplate relationships and trying to understand why she chose the rotten man she did and thinking about how to avoid it in the future. But I think it will be another year or more before she actually starts dating again. Like you, she is a lovely person who needs time to heal. I feel very confident that given time, she will be able and interested in meeting a life partner, and I''m sure that you will feel the same way. Try to live in the moment and don''t let the *possible* future get you down.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 12:15:24 AM
Author:mrs jam

I just have a feeling I''m going to wind up being a crazy aunt/old maid with a house full of dogs. Not that there''s anything wrong with that. Well I think I''ve just depressed myself.
I don''t think you should worry !!!
My sister is unmarried, and has such a full and interesting life. She has heaps of really great, close female friends, her diary is always full of interesting social dates, honestly she pleases herself. Also, she is the de facto aunt of several loving children (and the real-life loving aunt of my kids as well).

Her house is decorated just as she likes, with no reclining ''lazy-boy'' chair to be seen! There are no boys nights, no chip packets behind the lounge! But there are plenty of long lunches, and champagne breakfasts. She holidays where she likes, spends money where she likes and stays out as long as she likes.

All up, it''s really not a bad lifestyle.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 1:04:57 AM
Author: LaraOnline

Date: 6/28/2008 12:15:24 AM
Author:mrs jam

I don''t think you should worry !!!
My sister is unmarried, and has such a full and interesting life. She has heaps of really great, close female friends, her diary is always full of interesting social dates, honestly she pleases herself. Also, she is the de facto aunt of several loving children (and the real-life loving aunt of my kids as well).

Her house is decorated just as she likes, with no reclining ''lazy-boy'' chair to be seen! There are no boys nights, no chip packets behind the lounge! But there are plenty of long lunches, and champagne breakfasts. She holidays where she likes, spends money where she likes and stays out as long as she likes.

All up, it''s really not a bad lifestyle.
agreed: the idea that one must be married to be happy is just not true.

movie zombie

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you grab a hot pot and get burned, the last thing you''re going to do is go immediately reaching for it again. Actually, the thought of touching it doesn''t sound very appealing after that.

So it makes complete sense that you can''t imagine feeling deep feelings for someone ever again, at least right now. You have been through the ringer and even though you may feel better about yourself, that doesn''t mean that ''love'' looks very appealing at the moment. Give it time.

spike13

Shiny_Rock
The wonderful thing about life is you never know what''s going to happen next. You are feeling this way and then tomorrow you might be out somewhere ordinary and meet someone who is extraordinary.

I think it''s totally normal to feel the way you do. I''ve gone through periods in my life where having a relationship was the last thing I wanted and I really enjoyed just focusing on getting things with myself in order. The people I know who are happiest in their relationships are people who are also happy in their own skin.

>> But I actually feel that my self esteem has grown in leaps and bounds;

This statement makes me think you''re on a good path right now and when the time is right and you feel ready or when the hot guy in the bookstore asks for your number;-) you''ll be in the right place to enjoy it!

There''s absolutely nothing wrong with you!!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hello, mrs jam, I hope you had a restful sleep and are feeling better today.
1.gif

I just wanted to say that I know how you feel when you say you can't imagine yourself being able to feel that deeply about someone again. I have been through that--had my heart broken so completely by someone who cheated on me that I felt dead inside, like I literally no longer had the capacity to love anyone again because I felt broken. For a long time, I was convinced I would live my life alone, and I felt safe with that idea (it didn't excite me, but it didn't scare me either) because I knew I could trust myself the way I couldn't trust others. *I* would never break my own heart! Relationship opportunities presented themselves, and I turned them down, because it was too soon, and I couldn't trust.

But over time, I started to heal, and when another person came along, I thought 'maybe'--and when I shared my emotional baggage of all the hurt I had been through and my trust issues, and he didn't run away from me, I healed even more. And now, I can't imagine my life without him.

Be kind to yourself, give yourself the time you need to heal, and when you're ready to try again, if that's what you decide you want, you will.
1.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
mrs jam, you are certainly not alone in your feelings. After calling off a wedding and ending a relationship with a man who did something terrible to me/our relationship/himself I came to the decision that marriage and serious relationships were not meant for me. I didn''t date for about a year, and I spent that time enjoying myself, being with friends and persuing hobbies I enjoy.

I ended up meeting, and eventually marrying my now husband, and our relationship is quite different than any I have ever experienced, in a good way. But had I not met him, I''m not so sure I would be married now and Istill don''t think that''s a bad thing. Learning to fulfill myself was one of the best adventures I''ve ever been on, and I am so glad I took the time to do so.

Your feelings may change, they may not, there is no right or wrong in this situation and being unmarried doesn''t mean you''re alone, nor does it mean you''re destined to be a "crazy" old maid. You could end up being the amazingly interesting woman who is adventerous and explores all sorts of interesting places and hobbies because your obligation is to yourself and your career as opposed to a husband and/or children. Or you could take some more time to heal, make peace with what has happened and move on to feeling like being with someone is the right thing for you again and end up in an amazingly healthy relationship.

Life has a strange way of taking us on trips we don''t plan, figuratively and literally, let it. You may end up in some amazing places you never expected or thought possible.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ms Jam,

Have you read EAT, PRAY, LOVE? Might really resonate for you right now. I actually think you''re having a completely normal, healthy reaction to your situation. Just because you feel like this now doesn''t mean you''ll ALWAYS feel like this. Remember, just a few months ago you wouldn''t have believed you''d ever feel the way you do NOW! Right? We humans are TERRIBLE at predicting what we''ll do, what we''ll feel like etc. For now I''d just leave it up to the cosmos what''s going to happen in the future & keep concentrating (as you are doing) on feeling better & loving yourself even more & healing from what you''ve been through.

You may find that a kinder, gentler kind of "love" suits your healthier self & you won''t crave the extreme ups & downs of less healthy relationships in the future. Hard to imagine now. I get that. But leave open the possibility. And get the book.

2.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Another book recommendation for you... In the Meantime by Iyanla Vanzant. This book really helped me figure out how to make myself happy and prepare myself for recognizing true love. I think you need to take this time, this meantime, to figure out who YOU are, what makes YOU happy, what YOU need out of life and love. Get busy being yourself, and then you will find someone worth letting into your life. A break is the most natural thing in the world. Think about it... bears hibernate, plants come back in the spring... people need to take time to rest and sort out themselves before they are ready for another person. As far as "what if?" think about what''s the worst that could happen? What would be worse? Being stuck in a bad relationship with an abusive man? or living alone with cats and friends and books? I think I''d rather have the latter. That doesn''t mean there isn''t an option for better out there, but don''t be in a rush. Figure yourself out first.

Google Books has a preview of In the Meantime so you can actually read a few pages online without buying it. I do think you should read it though. It''s good. In the Meantime

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone else. Please take time for yourself. You have been through so much and you need time to heal. Everything else will come in time.

I was in an abusive marriage for 5 and a half years to a police officer, who used to hit and kick me. I finally had the guts to take my 3 year old daughter and leave.

I was on my own for almost 5 years. I spent time with my family and friends and of course my daughter. When I wasn''t looking for a relationship, it happened. I met my wonderful husband. We have been happily married for almost 27 and a half years, he is my heart.

You are a beautiful woman, inside and out. Just when you think you can''t love again, it will happen.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, ladies. I''m planning on a trip to Borders tomorrow, so I jotted down those titles/authors. I''m much better today; for some reason, I sometimes get a little melancholy at night right before bedtime. I keep myself busy all day so sometimes my emotions catch me off guard when I''m winding down for the evening.

My life is just so calm now. Which is a GOOD thing, but I think I got addicted to the drama that took place during my relationship. While I hated the lows, I sure did love the highs. I know that it was unhealthy, and I know that my attachment to anything unhealthy is something I have to continue to work on. It''s weird to say this, but sometimes peace and quiet takes a while to get used to.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 1:57:19 PM
Author: mrs jam
Thank you, ladies. I''m planning on a trip to Borders tomorrow, so I jotted down those titles/authors. I''m much better today; for some reason, I sometimes get a little melancholy at night right before bedtime. I keep myself busy all day so sometimes my emotions catch me off guard when I''m winding down for the evening.

My life is just so calm now. Which is a GOOD thing, but I think I got addicted to the drama that took place during my relationship. While I hated the lows, I sure did love the highs. I know that it was unhealthy, and I know that my attachment to anything unhealthy is something I have to continue to work on. It''s weird to say this, but sometimes peace and quiet takes a while to get used to.
I went though that in an old relationship; that is why it is good to take up a hobby. You are doing so good and just think a year from now you will be so proud of yourself for taking care of you!!! I agree with AnitaT, our experiences do make us stronger! We are proud of you Mrs. Jam!!! What project do you have in the works??
2.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
like stated above, it was when i wasn''t looking, had settled into my life and was very content [and after 2 divorces and being technically single for 21 years] that my man found me.........not i found him. he had something to be attracted to........

movie zombie

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
''Women Who Love Too Much'' is an excellent book for understanding the addiction to drama and the way that that can lead you to find healthy relationships ''boring'' because you''re not getting the adrenaline rush.

Another book I found helpful for sorting out my inability to date kind and non-toxic men was ''Are You The One For Me?''

I recommend both as interesting and eyeopening reads. There''s a lot of psychobabble but a lot of real sense as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results