shape
carat
color
clarity

A question of relative value

chumbawumba

Rough_Rock
Please review this stone and ELI5 why it's not an excellent (relative) value:

I'd like to buy it, but am not understanding why it feels discounted to market. Is it the fluorescence?

Thanks for your commentary

GIA FD.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didnt know what your abbreviation meant! Ok, Explain like I'm 5.

Are you asking about the "value" or about the "cost"? Value to me is associated with what it's worth and the chances of you
reselling it for what you bought it for are slim (diamonds don't hold their value). Occasionally, you can but its usually with
RB stones that are more popular (easier to sell) and when you have held onto a stone for a long time.

If you're asking if its a good price for what it is then I would say so.

Here it is on another site for a little cheaper. I would ask the gemologist about the fluorescent. Ask to see if you can get
an ASET image to check on light return. Make sure there is a good return policy.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Radiant cut not being on-trend at the moment perhaps?

I am only guessing though.

DK :))

chumbawumba

Rough_Rock
What would make it a good price? $14.5k?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant answer that. What are you looking to do with this stone? Are you planning on setting it and enjoying it or something else?

chumbawumba

Rough_Rock
Setting, Platinum top with yellow gold band

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's an unusual stone and that makes shopping for comps difficult. I find zero stones that are particularly similar. James Allen, for example, has a 1.86/G/VVS2/XXm for $13,700. That's about the same price, a little smaller, slightly lower clarity. The question then becomes what you value. G/IF isn't all that popular, people who pay a premium for IF rarely want a G so that premium isn't all that much. Fluorescence is the same. We don't know anything about the cutting on either one of them. Based on a single comp, that lands you right at about where it's expected. If you lose the fluorescence, it'll go up a fair amount. If you raise the color to D or E it'll go up. I would not call either of those things evidence of a bargain. It's a fashion question and it depends on what you want. More popular is not a synonym for better, but it usually does drive up the price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results