shape
carat
color
clarity

A question for the appraisers:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I read something on another post re: appraisals vs. certificates, but can''t find it now, so here is my question: I have a stone with EGL cert. I have an appraisal with some different specs. (I knew I should get the EGL specs checked out.) Which document is used for verification/ins. purposes? Since the cert and appraisal aren''t the same, do I even need the cert anymore?
The main difference was color: the cert says D, and the appraiser called it E/F....(couldn''t seem to say one or the other - don''t know why) I din''t have the app. when I signed up for ins (but gave it to them later), so I gave them a sales slip.....they picked up the "D VS2" from there and that is on my policy...but they also have the appraisal, and that amount on the policy...
Also, appraiser said I could just come in periodically and have the value updated (after he verifies the stone is what it was, and that it has not been damaged), is that common procedure???

Thanks!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its just fine the appraiser will look at the stone and update if necessary. Don''t overdo it. We don''t want appraisers to sell you needless services, but it is convenient to know you are welcome to check your diamond when you want to. Its always nice to develop friendly relatrions with those you trust.

The insurance company now has you where they want you. Your D color is compromised by the E/F grading they also have. All these colors are very nice and virtually invisibly different, but there is a large dollar difference. I''d suggest not to be too concerned as you cannot take the paperwork back now. If you suffer a loss, an E color will still be a great colorless gem. If you fuss enough, you''ll get a D color, but the conflicting documents may come back to bite you someday. You can''t really know how or when. And, if you are not one who loses or breaks things, you''ll never have a problem.

In future, only give your insurance company just enough to purchase coverage. Keep all the details in your files and just let them have the minimum to hold over your head in case of a claim.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks !!! But the ins. co. requires an appraisal, and the appraiser did not want to misrepresent what he saw.....I will probably change companies at some point, because mine doesn''t cover breakage, and is not THAT much less than policies that do......I am most concened about chipping or some other crazy thing happening to it.
He said he would look at it for nothing anytime after it is worked on or anything, just to make sure it doesn''t get switched.....(But I know the stone pretty well too, and having the idealscope helps...) He was talking every couple of years....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results