shape
carat
color
clarity

A post in support of the Brick and Mortar shoppers..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joeaboveaverage

Rough_Rock
LONG POST - And I can''t figure out the paragraph breaks..

I know, it''s only Thursday, but I have been trolling on the board trying to come to some conclusion on who to trust, where to buy, what to buy for a e-ring. I bought one today, and it might be helpful to those considering a B&M to read my take on the purchasing process. (now that I''m done)

The purpose of this post is to counter some of the anti-Tiffany sentiment, though I did not end up purchasing from them. Sorry, this post is a bit long..

First of all, let me say that I have fairly traditional values, and that I definitely saw this as an emotional purchase, and was aware that I needed to feel comfortable with what I purchased.

I saw Tiffany as a place worth the merit of my interest. Internationally reknown.. and the name has practically become an adjective in the english language to describe things of fine quality. But by the same token, I wanted to do my homework, to make sure, on all fronts that I was making a wise decision. I read many of the Tiffany and anti-Tiffany posts on this website. Some I found insightful, some I found ignorant.

Many other posters considered a person who shops at Tiffany lazy, spendthrift, stupid, unwise, etc. These posters were suggesting buying over the internet based on a GIA (or other) report on the specifications of the diamond and it''s cut. In fact, I found the discussion of the depth percentage in the cut, flourescence, and the other specifications associated with a diamond to be both excrutiating and unenlightening.

Also, I found many of the people posting ''advice'' here have personal agendas in the business - promoting their own goods and services and are hardly objective. But there are a great many people here on the sight who''s opinions I''ve agreed with.

There are many of us who want to go to a place like Tiffany, because we want the safety of dealing with a highly reputable jeweler. I want the jeweler to be versed on the varios specifications both objective and subjective on the gems. I wanted to understand what I was buying but did not want to become an expert - no casual buyer is going to gain an expertise in a matter of days weeks or months leading up to a purchase.

I decided to go into the city (NY) and do some shopping - I went to Tiffany, looked at many fine rings in the Tiffany setting. I was surprised to see the color difference so evident in an "I" color versus a "D" to the naked eye. I was also surprised at the size differece a trade-off in quality made for my budget. Having read many of the posts on here, I confirmed that Tiffany doesn''t really grade their cut - they just assert that they have very high quality standards. I took down some pricing information and a business card and wanted to shop around. While shopping at Tiffanys was nice, I certainly still wanted to see what other options lay out there.

I headed across the street and down to the next corner to Harry Winston. I''m sure those of you buying over the internet don''t care about shopping experience and service, but for those of you who do, this was an eye opener to me. I walked through the doors (which for all the 5th ave window shoppers, many were looking none were going in) and was greeted by a man at a reception desk asking how they could help. I asked to see a sales associate and proceeded through the second set of doors into the main sales showroom, which unlike any other jewelry store was almost completely void of glass display cases. Instead there were desks and comfy chairs to which I was led and seated across from a sales associate. I explained what I was looking for and she asked many questions about my girlfriend, her style, body type, etc., and after a short discussion, left to return with a tray full of several different styles, along with another associate who was to serve for the next 45-60 minutes as the hand model. They were extremely friendly, informative, and willing to share their opinion on different options and choices.

They only stock rings with D E & F color grading and down to a VS2. I did not have an enourmous budget, but as other posters have mentioned, they start around 15k. Although, I had gone into this process thinking the classic Tiffany setting was to my liking, I quickly became enamoured with the HW setting with side stones. I saw both the brilliant and emerald cut, and saw different size and specifications. In the end it came down to a fairly simple decision on a ring that really connected to me. I was surprised by a few facts here, that the rings are actually hand made upstairs in the 5th ave property and they seem to have sales personell with many years experience and many at HW - I think mine had been at HW for 18 years and in the business for 35. Many people may think all this pomp and circumstance is irrelevant compared to getting the best price on a particular specification, but for the amount of money I was budgeting, I only wanted to hand that kind of cash over to the most respectable dealers. I found their pricing not significantly higher than Tiffany, though there wasn''t maybe as much range...

I think that the objective here is to find a ring within your budget, that you love, and that you feel good about the purchase and good about the people you were dealing with. If it is Tiffany, fine, Graff, Harry Winston, Van Cleef, etc great - and you may have a local jeweler who has an outstanding reputation - what''s important is that you feel good about your decision. For some people that means negotiating the best price for a set of specifications, for others it means something else.

The concern I have/had over the internet trade is evidenced by scrolling down the board and reading the posts of people asking if they got a good deal, or the posts of people who bought their diamond from ''XYZ Online'' and took it to a jeweler, and it was a fine gem. I won''t have to take this ring to anyone else, and I won''t need to address the former either. I feel good about my decision, and I would hope other people who post on this board who are going to Tiffany or anywhere else, should not be ostracized by this community for doing so. And by the same token, I see the need that is satisfied by the internet dealers in helping people with more limiting budgets than mine and don''t find fault with them for that, but sometimes the chatter on this board had me irritated and had me driven to write this post.

I would wish everyone the same satisfaction with their purchase as mine, regarless of your decision of dealer, online or other.

kathio22

Rough_Rock
AMEN, Joe. As much as I appreciate the knowledge and feedback on this board not ALL B&M's are bad, after all most dot coms were or are also B&M's. Congrats on your purchase!! I am sure you are quite excited and eager. Your finace to be will love the ring and probably never know anything about cut, depth. table, etc. Not many people even know those terms, let alone care about them!!

This site is great but is also cumbersome at best. The majority of the active posters on here are diamond freaks and are obsessed with the best diamond for their money. Nothing wrong with that, but those who aren't so into the specs should not be hung either! After all, we are quite lucky to have the money to purchase food let alone luxury!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
First, let us say Congratulations on your purchase and engagement!

There is nothing wrong with buying a diamond from a traditional B&M jewelry store, we operate one after all. The intention of our web site was never to sell diamonds, it was originally created to provide clients who were referred to us by other clients with a consistent educational resource. Unlike the more respected retailers in NYC who you've mentioned below Joe, many of the local resources that people have available to them in smaller communities are not so reputable, reliable, or well versed in the concept of quality... Unfortunately most retail jewelry stores focus on price / the amount of a monthly payment that a customer can afford, and fail miserably in terms of their ability to provide their customers with any sense of a real education in terms of the expanded 4C's... More likely, the customers will hear "Folks this is a beautiful diamond!" and that is that.

We agree wholeheartedly that too many people seem focused on getting the best price instead of focusing on quality. However, fortunately for us (yes, this is self serving) many people are intently focused on quality and that is where dealers like ourselves, GOG, DC, SC, and WF come into play. We think that it's fair to say that all of us offer an excellent product at a reasonable price that in most cases is significantly better than the average person can get from their local jewelry store, but we don't have an exclusive on the market or the ability to do so... We're a B&M retailer, any retailer could choose to offer a comparable product at a comparable price, they simply choose not to for reasons of profit - 300% profit in many cases.

Regarding your comment that you don't need to take your purchase to an appraiser... Why not? Are you that confident that you have the knowledge to know that the diamond was accurately graded and represented by the store? And that you received the diamond indicated on the lab report if it was lab graded? We recommend that all of our customers take diamonds purchased from us on-line or in our store to an indpendent GIA Graduate Gemologist appraiser, if nothing else, for their own peace of mind. It's just good common sense to do so, because the average consumer simply doesn't know diamonds well enough to know whether they bought a good diamond or not and this is where the services of a good independent appraiser can be invaluable.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
First off, congratulations on finding your ring of choice and please post pictures! I love looking at new and different rings.
9.gif

Secondly, I think this forum serves a great service to those interested in what if offers: knowledge about diamonds.
Some people could care less about a diamond's specifics, others like myself find those details fascinating. As they say, different strokes for different folks.
2.gif

And as mentioned on here before, some people are bargain hunters. That, I dare say, has nothiong to do what you can afford, but everything to do with what you are willing to pay for a particular item.
Everyone gets something different out of their shopping experience and I am happy you got what you hoped for!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
So did you buy the HW ring or what? You didn't give any specifics on your purchase and no eye-candy...which is required on this forum. You know...us obsessed diamond freaks have nothing better to do than stare at other people's diamonds since ours are so lacking.
9.gif

I have to say...as always, I am surprised at how serious people think most of the active anti-Tiffany posters are. I mean...GOD like I really care where you buy your diamond or your ring? Have fun! I could really care less. But would I do it? Probably not. I gots me other diamonds to buy...for other parts of my body.
9.gif

Anyway that said....I ordered a beautiful gold limoges china initial box for my best friend from Tiffany.com this week and it arrived today. Imagine that! ME. Ordering from Tiffany? Well it WAS online and yanno, I only EVER shop online. Heh.

Oh sorry...point of my post? I just wanted to comment on this particular line item:

"I'm sure those of you buying over the internet don't care about shopping experience and service, but for those of you who do, this was an eye opener to me."

I think that's a pretty bold statement actually. And highly incorrect. I suggest that you dig up the recent GOG thread about customer service and online vendors and take a quick read. Then maybe you will retract this statement, as I expect the highest customer service from anyone I give my money to...whether it be $1 or $10,000. Most of us here on this forum are the same. I don't know one person who expects to shop online and get crappy service and/or bad experience. What are we? Ignorant?
9.gif

Let me also lastly apologize for my sarcastic tone. I am extremely happy that you got what you desired. I would love to see pictures. But your post reeked of a tone that was taken in DEFENSE to an attitude that hadn't even materialized yet. Ostracized? Excrutiating? ......Dramatic? Yes. All of the above.

Congratulations on your purchase, it sounds like a great experience.

PS....this post is a day early! People...PLEASE try to abide by the Friday rule. I mean...we could have chaos here if this continues!
11.gif

limey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for sharing this with us. That was the most patronizing and condescending tirade I have ever read. Perhaps you should rename it, here are a few suggestions:

- A post in support of conspicuous consumption
or
- A post in support of shoppers going through post purchase cognitive dissonance

Either you do not get the concept of PRICEscope or you did not troll for quite long enough to understand the heartfelt way that people here want to steer the real averagejoe from being taken by their local B&M. And yet at the same time some of the most zealot like Internet purchase advocates always agree that if you can find a good B&M that you trust then that is the best situation.

HW and Tiffany are hardly B&M's. Alhough you walked into a brick & mortar establishment you paid for something more virtual than anyone considering a "databased" Internet stone. When I walked into the image-conscious, performance packaged B&M's in my area I found I did indeed know more than the sales people. I do not claim to be an expert in anything. but becming educated by using sources like PS is a great leveller.

joeaboveaverage

Rough_Rock
Actually Andr3wpd - I thought I was pretty careful not to criticize the internet purchaser, but to point out the postives of making a purchase with someone like HW and the rationale that a sane and intelligent person might have to not follow your opinions.

In fact, I might agree with you, that my post might be out of step with the 'pricescope' concept. Pricescope, though, seemed to be one of the few sources of enthusiastic discussion on e-rings that I found on the internet. I found it as I was doing research and looking to find what the pros and cons/different considerations were on finding a ring. Pricescope is an excellent resource for information on the different variables in a ring, what makes one better than another (even on similar gradings) etc. It makes a person much more confident if they choose the method I took.

I did not encounter any other similar discussions on other sites (other than a few that were moderated by an online retailer). So, yes, I am posting an opinion that runs counter to the majority of pricescope customers - but doing so for the other poor fools who stumble across this site and dare wonder about the merits of Tiffany or anywhere else, and might be looking for an open discussion on all buying alternatives.

Some other posters are just as condescending and patronizing of the occassional Tiffany posters so I didn't expect anything less from you in response.

Mara, you mentioned customer service - yes, I would agree that many online retailers have excellent customer service, as defined by a persons expectations from an online retailer - fast delivery, no hassles, get what you pay for, little extras in the box when it arrives, good packaging, etc. I wouldn't expect that people choosing the internet trade to expect less than superior customer service.

My suggestion is that there is an inherent appeal, for some people, to walk into a place like Harry Winston - and that experience can't really be duplicated on the internet. I was not implying that you don't get good service - just not the same type of service - apples and oranges. It became a fun and enjoyable event for the day.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/16/2004 7:35:32 AM andr3wpd wrote:

Either you do not get the concept of PRICEscope . ----------------

Nope, doesn't get it. Yes, his one and only post w/ registering that same day - lots of credibility.

Mara, you response was incredibly tempered. But, then I realized you posted on Thursday.
wink2.gif
9.gif

Personal agenda? Oh really, please give a specific post where someone had a personal agenda that benefited them.

Your statement that many don't care about shopping experience & customer service? What forum have you been reading? Again, can you show me a specific post?

Depth %, etc, excruiating & unenlightening? No diamond dealer nor consumer should worry their pretty little head about the details? But, I guess you just want to trust the dealer. Yep, no independent verification. I can not recommend that choice to others.

I find it humorous how transparent your motives are.

It has been my experience on PS, posters who are excited about their rings post pics, specifications & don't tell their story with such lack of emotion. Personal agenda? You felt the need to set the record straight?

But then, what do I know? I'm ignorant. Only been handling Tiffany objects for about 15 years. Nope, don't think it's the wisest of choices. Nope, in my circle it's not a synomyn for quality.

BTW, I bought from a reputable B&M. He was *very* concerned about depth%, table%, fluor, etc. He is a GG & a man that knows the importance of such as does any jeweler. He relayed that information to me. I trusted his recommendation; yet, appreciated the fact that he gave me full disclosure to make an informed decision.

In the end, what's the point of your one and only post?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Guys, let's don't get negative or personal.

Millions of people are using the internet to get information about diamonds and jewelry (some say about 50% of jewelry buyers). Yet only about 5% (give or take) are really buying online. Obviously, majority prefers to see and feel the jewelry items as well as a live human being to talk to.

This site is not against B&M jewelers. B&M stores are not going anywhere. What is disappearing though is the hefty margins on loose diamonds (don’t blame me - I didn’t do it
1.gif
)

Margins will not disappear on good quality custom work though.

There are millions of diamonds out there, thousands of jewelry stores, and many ways to buy a diamond.

What ever you do, buy what you can afford and will make her and you happy. People have different tastes, traditions, cultural backgrounds, economic situation, etc. There is no one and only right way of buying diamonds. Don’t let anybody spoil your moment, or go into debt, or give you a doubt that you could do better….

There is nothing really wrong in going to a mall and influenced by a moment buy a ring you like (or your girl likes).

Have a trusted jeweler who you’re comfortable to deal with or feel that Tiffany, Harry Winston and others are indeed the best of the breed, go ahead and enjoy the experience.

What can make people unhappy though is if later they will learn that they didn’t know something, which might affect their choice. So it is rather about making informed decision than price.

I’m happy as long as you are. Enjoy your rock!
1.gif

Bridget

Rough_Rock
I partially agree with what everyone has to say about this post. I order from the net ALL the time. I love it. OFF TOPIC: A good price or not, knowledge or not, some people don't realize the gamble they take when buying a large ticket item like a diamond, whether online or in a store, using a bank draft or cash. What am I saying here? If the online or even B&M dealer doesn't want your credit card, shop elsewhere.

Just imagine you shop for a diamond online, you use your bank draft to pay for it and have it shipped for your review. Within that day period you don't want this diamond and because of the return policy you feel "safe". Guess what? The FTC came in and shut your reputable dealer down, like that. You are stuck with this diamond. This is NOT something that is far fetched, it happens everyday, kind of like "reputable" Enron did. I know this because I am a compliance officer, mainly dot coms, and we seize and shut down for so many things you hope to never know. I have been present when very reputable dot coms had their inventory and cash frozen for soliciting/spamming/marketing on the Internet against the rules, for not paying taxes, for hitting peoples accounts fraudulently, etc. Guess what happened to those purchases that were NOT shipped out but paid for already? guess what happened to the nice man who received his product, reviewed it, and didn't want it? GONE because they used cash or a bank draft!

My job and experiences have my fiance using his interest free card on every purchase. He treats it like a MAC card and pays the balance each month. So did he buy from any of the well known net dealers you all speak so highly of? No, simply because they didn't want his credit card. In fact, he didn't buy from the jeweler his family has used for years because they didn't want his card either! Price is big but so is security. He may have paid more compared to the net because of sales tax, but it was worth his ability to sleep at night that if the jeweler burned down, got shut down, passed away, etc. that he was covered by using his card. Something to think about.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Joe WAY above average.

Please note that the average diamond purchased in the US is .38cts, the average engagement ring purchased in the US is a little over .70cts. That said, Harry Winston is not your AVERAGE B&M. Zales or local jewelers, maybe.

It's like my going onto a wedding savers website and complaining why people don't buy original Vera Wang gowns instead of "bargain shopping" for a dress online.

I'm sorry, but a diamond is a luxury. It is also a personal expense. Some people would like to buy a luxury item while still trying to save some money for their impending weddings, house purchases, children's college funds, etc. I like a substantial stone to feel like this piece of jewelery can be appreciated and admired by me, my husband, and my future family. I preferred to get size and quality over a name brand.

I personally made a conscious decision to make sure my fiance didn't buy me a ring at Tiffany's, like my sister and her fiance did. She has a smaller stone and paid the same amount. She had the champagne sipping experience and everything and STILL looked at my ring and her face fell. She oohed and ahhed, and that's because she wished she had spent her money less on name and more on substance. I bet she would have LOVED PriceScope.

And for your information, my sister and her husband make MORE than enough money to buy a HW ring, but even they acknowledged that their money would not be well spent there. We too looked at Harry Winston, sat down, saw rings, and frankly, didn't think their rings warranted our money. I like them, just not enough.

I have different priorities than you, and we all have different budgets. Any choice to chose a designer and pay that premium is a PERSONAL choice everyone makes. Again, it was NOT worth the double cost to me for a ring which will never return any money, for a ring that will literally just sit on my finger as a symbol of our commitment. To start out a symbol of our relationship with a label, in MY OPINION was not a smart investment, and frankly, if he proposed with a Mutual fund, I would have been more impressed. But that's just me.

Congrats on buying your ring, weather from Zales or Harry Winston. We don't begrudge anyone their due joy for such an ocassion, so all the best to you both!

If you ARE looking for people to applaud your use of your money (when this IS a budget conscious forum), I am sure that Harry Winston will cheer for you MUCH louder...

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Bridget, the online dealers do accept credit card purchases. Who has refused a credit card? As I understand it the cash price is a few percents lower than the credit card price, but the cards are accepted to my knowledge.

Joeaboveaverage-congratulations on your purchase and feeling comfortable with it. I like tiffany products and love the tiffany classic setting. We have had a few people come on and declare things like "why waste your time when you know tiffany's is best?" Or people are just jealous of tiffany's....stuff like that. So yeah, it's natural that people would take offense on this board. I like tiffany's and I was offended. There is something out there for everyone. This site (for me) serves as a great reference point and conduit that has led me to different quality online vendors who have beautiful products. So I think it's also fair to state that just maybe some what you see as, I guess, tiffany-bashing is in response to some of the posts stating the things I referenced above.

Congratulations again wherever you purchased from. The bottom line is that pricescope does offer other options in addition to the B&M retailers. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but my personal experience has not been positive with local B&Ms and I am very thankful to have read PS and had access to its vendors before making any purchasing decisions.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing your experience at HW, Joe. Many folks don't live where they can shop in Tiff or HW or Cartier. But, as Nicrez pointed out, HW is not your average B&M Jeweler. While most people might find a clerk that will listen and work to suit the their needs, many times the clerk is not knowledgeable and the shop does not have the variety on hand to offer an assortment of choices like you had.
2.gif

Many Congrats on your engagement!!
appl.gif
Wishing you many happy years together!!
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
A word of caution. Just because someone has a storefront doesn't mean that the doors can't be padlocked. One instance involved a store that took an object on consignment. The owner died suddenly. To pay off debts the heirs were having a fire sale. All the consignments went out the door like it belonged to the store. Some had documentmentation. Some did not. Another store was a repair shop for expensive equipment. They did not pay their real estate taxes. The door was padlocked. No one was able to retrive their item in there for repair.

That said, paying with a credit card does offer more protection. Even if it is not the rock bottom price, you are negating the discount w/ some insurance.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/16/2004 10:09:21 AM leonid wrote:

What can make people unhappy though is if later they will learn that they didn’t know something, which might affect their choice. So it is rather about making informed decision than price.

I’m happy as long as you are. Enjoy your rock!
1.gif
----------------

Since it is Friday, I'll join in...
11.gif

I agree with Leonid 100%. Different strokes for different folks..... everyone has different priorities, and places value on different things. The point here is for people to be informed enough to make a good decision -- whatever that may be, and not have regrets later. There was a thread just recently about a happy B&M purchaser, and most people applauded him since he had made an informed choice.

The same for joeaboveaverage..... While I would have enjoyed the HW experience, it is not worth the premium to me for something that I consider a commodity (the stones -- not the settings). That doesn't make it a bad decision for you. Be happy, share your experience, but don't berate people here or be defensive about your decision. I don't agree with your comments about people's pushing their personal business agendas. That gets shut down awfully fast here. People may be pushing their personal OPINIONS, but that's different.

Bridget

Rough_Rock
Fire & Ice:

I did say it can happen to a B&M stores, as I have been present when my "people" have done it!

I don't want to say which onliner didn't want his card, it isn't worth starting a debate! It happened with 2, actually.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
so you went to tiffany and harry winston in new york, and on that basis alone you make a pile of sweeping generalizations about b&m and internet shopping? sorry, but your thesis falls apart on that basis alone.

tiffany and hw are high-end jewelers with worldwide reputations. you can trust them to supply a quality product because they have hard-earned and very valuable market images to maintain. of course, you're paying for that image, but i think most tiffany shoppers know that.

you simply can't compare tiffany and hw to a local b&m. it's apples and oranges. it just doesn't work.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
If you can't have good experiences at Tiffs or HW you are a hard man to please!

I'm with the Cap't in that your comparo breaks down if extended beyond a few high end stores. Just because Graeters makes great ice cream doesn't make every store bought gallon a treat. I've have some really crappy ice cream from other B&M stores, but they always treat me right at Graeters!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you brought that up F&I...I noted something similar in another post this week re: B&M's being gone just as suddenly as a C&M could. The Sears/Homelife was my example..people were out their furniture AND their money and had to go to bankruptcy court to try to recover it.

The bottom line here on this forum is that *really* no one really cares where people buy their damn rings! I would LOVE to see someone bring up a post where after a purchase has been made...someone tells the person that they are an idiot or wasted their money. It just doesn't happen here. If they come beforehand and ask an opinion and then go and buy the crappy stone after everyone tells them not to....I don't even see people saying they are idiots then! And that shows alot of restraint quite obviously.
2.gif
Or if someone comes after the fact and asks opinions, yes people will tell the truth. But if someone comes here with the ugliest ring in the world with a crappy stone set into it and absolutely loves it to death...people will still tell them it's beautiful. So I have NO IDEA where the whole dramatic 'ostracized' comments come from. Debating on Tiffany is NOT ostracizing those who buy from there.

Just like we have these strong Tiffany debates...if someone comes in after the fact and says they bought Tiffany...people say CONGRATULATIONS. Honestly, NO ONE CARES. We love diamonds here and we like helping people. We will give our opinion when asked and sometimes when not asked...but the bottom line is that if you are happy with YOUR purchase, that is all that matters. Why bother seeking validation from others if you know it's right? Especially with an inflammatory post IN a defensive tone.

(F&I..is that better? It IS friday now...
2.gif
)

jackieblue

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 4/15/2004 9:23:24 PM joeaboveaverage wrote:

I explained what I was looking for and she asked many questions about my girlfriend, her style, body type, etc., and after a short discussion, left to return with a tray full of several different styles, along with another associate who was to serve for the next 45-60 minutes as the hand model. They were extremely friendly, informative, and willing to share their opinion on different options and choices.----------------

I would like to offer my services to any of the upscale jewlers on here as a hand model. Any time you would like me to try on extremely expensive diamond rings for 45-60 minutes and share my opinions, please let me know!
lickout.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/16/2004 10:39:08 AM bears rock wrote:

On 4/16/2004 10:13:17 AM Bridget wrote: ...The FTC came in and shut your reputable dealer down, like that. You are stuck with this diamond. This is NOT something that is far fetched, it happens everyday, kind of like 'reputable' Enron did. I know this because I am a compliance officer, mainly dot coms, and we seize and shut down for so many things you hope to never know.----------------

This is a valid concept, however it is valid in both worlds virtual and B&M - the reality is that consumers should do a lot of homework and investigation into the business conduct of any .com or store where they are going to spend a substantial amount of money. We've seen car dealerships fold, major jewelry stores declare bankruptcy, business owners get arrested, etc. in both the .com and B&M world. Regardless of where you buy anything, this is still a world of Buyer Beware.

That aside, may we say that we're a bit disappointed in how this thread is developing? The whole nature of PS is to exchange information with the hopes of providing people with some education with regards to how to buy a diamond. Hopefully JoeAboveAverage gleaned some information from the threads here on PS that was useful for him when he purchased his diamond in NYC... It would have been kind of cool if he had visited Barry at SuperbCert in NYC or Jonathan at GoodOldGold in New Jersey since they are both in "real" environments as well as being a .com to see if they could have provided him with an excellent diamond at an exceptional price (and maybe he did - we don't know), but if he happens to be more comfortable buying from a high level retailer like Harry Winston's, Tiffany & Co. or VC&A then he should by all means shop there.

If people don't like what PS has to offer or what the contributing vendors (who contribute financially and with their time answering questions) here on PS have to say, nobody is stopping them from wandering off to another chat room - although we think it's a bit of a loss for them because we've seen firsthand what the other diamond forum's have to offer and it doesn't compare. We'd like to see a little less venom though when somebody happens to have a different opinion than our own, sure, most of us are comfortable shopping on-line, but there are a LOT more people who simply use the internet for educational purposes before buying a product locally. We support the concept of shopping locally, it supports the tax base where we all live, but for those who want to buy on-line, we're obviously okay with that too because we sell an awful lot of diamonds on-line
2.gif

joeaboveaverage

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 4/16/2004 12:41:04 PM jackieblue wrote:

----------------
On 4/15/2004 9:23:24 PM joeaboveaverage wrote:

.----------------

I would like to offer my services to any of the upscale jewlers on here as a hand model. Any time you would like me to try on extremely expensive diamond rings for 45-60 minutes and share my opinions, please let me know!
lickout.gif

----------------

They get to come into work and pick out the jewelry that they wear for the day as well.. Although, there was some consternation that she couldn't wear one of their diamond tiara's - due to the fact that those larger pieces are for evening wear only.

It seems like there is a definitive career path for these women as well. I believe they take college grads with prior experience in places like Tiffany, etc..

:)

Your right, though, it's probably a pretty neat job, though, I feel for their boyfriends.. It must be worse, to have your girlfried work in a Harry Winston, etc. and then think about the ring. Doh!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
R&T...I would venture to say that most of the offense (if any) taken to this thread is not because the guy bought from HW or considered Tiffanys. As I noted...who cares? Post pictures.

However, the tone with which the thread was written along with the 'ostracized' comments just are over the top. Pscope is not the type of forum where you get denigrated for shopping elsewhere, it just isn't. Post about HW and/or Tiff...fine...but don't do it expecting to get slammed and therefore taking a tone that invites that. That is what I personally take offense to...and various other comments about customer service not being up to par with someone like a HW/Tiff.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, I just came back from a meeting and find that everyone has made my points for me. I don't care where you buy, as long as you buy with your eyes wide open.

And gee, if I could afford to buy from HW, I'd be banging on their door in a heartbeat!

Bridget

Rough_Rock
nono.gif
Again, I will say, if you use a credit card you ARE protected no matter what. Again, I will say, some online jewelers do not accept credit cards and it makes it more appealing and safer to go with a B&M for that reason, to most consumers.

They only had to go to bankruptcy court IF THEY PAID CASH/CHECK, Mara, which was my point all along. I celarly stated it doesn't matter if you are a dot com or a store front, if the consumer's only option on the net is cash/bank draft they will most likely go with the store front that offers credit card payments.

In my line of work we come across a ton of consumers that FREAK when they find out if they used a credit card that their locked up furniture/rings/etc wouldn't matter because they would get their money back no matter what. Like I said, again, I shop all the time on the net as long as they take my plastic...in our case, the 2 dot coms fiance tried out wanted a bank draft. Too bad for them, right?
rodent.gif

Bridget

Rough_Rock
N&I,

Did you read that I wrote this happens with any dealer whether a dot com or a store front? I was just pointing out a PLUS for the B&M b/c most large ticket items on the net are bank drafts only and MOST consumers don't like that.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/16/2004 2:04:11 PM Bridget wrote:

N&I,

Did you read that I wrote this happens with any dealer whether a dot com or a store front? I was just pointing out a PLUS for the B&M b/c most large ticket items on the net are bank drafts only and MOST consumers don't like that.----------------

Bridget,

I think you are overstating that MOST large ticket items on the net are bank drafts only. From my experience most of the online vendors will also take credit cards, but will charge you the fee they pay (2-3%). Their cash prices are usually slightly lower, but most offer both options.

Also, most online vendors will ship the stone to a local independent appraiser for evaluation and viewing BEFORE you pay at all, which offers some protection against what you are talking about.

So, yes, there is some risk inherent in dealing online (or offline) in cash or cash equiv, but there are some alternatives to use to protect yourself for smart shoppers.

Bridget

Rough_Rock
Lop,

LOL, trust me, I KNOW and UNDERSTAND all of this. Actually, if an online vendor charges a consumer to use their credit card, they will be fined and can lose their ability to accept credit cards. Thanks for bringing that to my attention
naughty.gif

::sigh:: it is so difficult to get a point across on here. REALLY all I am trying to say IS from my experience, and I have been doing compliance within the vendor industry for years, that the majority of the consumers we have interviewed, dealt with their complaints, etc will not do business with online vendor for large ticket items ESPECIALLY if they do not accept credit cards. In our case, my fiance paid sales tax, but he would have paid the same % if he used his credit card online(and I would have been forced to put an order in to prohibit the vendors ability to accept credit cards, IF he found an online vendor that was willing to take his card. SOOO, all in all not all B&M's are bad and over charge when you see it from a security perspective.

AGGHHHHH does anyone see my point? LOL

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 4/16/2004 2:31:38 PM Bridget wrote:

::sigh:: it is so difficult to get a point across on here

AGGHHHHH does anyone see my point? LOL
----------------

Bridget, your mistake here is that you think people aren't getting your point. They are "getting it", they just don't happen to agree with it.

1. Nearly every REPUTABLE vendor here accepts credit cards....at least on purchases within the U.S. Yes, some vendors in the U.S. don't.....but Pricescope isn't about vendors of general merchandise all around the U.S. It's about vendors of finely cut diamonds, so that limits the pool a bit for discussion purposes.

2. In nearly every case, they offer their set price. If you elect to pay with cash, they offer a DISCOUNT. That's not the same as "charging more" for a credit card. A discount is an allowance that a vendor makes in exchange for more favorable terms.....and there is nothing against the law about that at all.

Bridget

Rough_Rock
Umm, it isn't a matter of opinion, it is the fact that you are protected when you use a credit card and not use cash.

I wasn't the one that said there is a mark up when using a credit card, another poster said you pay 2-3% MORE for using a credit card, which is IN FACT out of compliance and the merchant will be fined/terminated from accepting credit cards. Having a DISCOUNT is NOT. So you see, big difference between discounting a customer to use a bank draft and charging them MORE for a credit card. There is no opinion here, just facts. Again, my point would be, that most people do not wish to buy large ticket items from the internet, especially if they can't use a credit card. This is another FACT, not an opinion. (we base our facts from a ton of research and interviews of merchants/consumers on the marketing side of our industry)

I know many vendors online accept credit cards, hell I wouldn't have a job if they didn't, but not all do!!! Keep smiling...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results