shape
carat
color
clarity

A new LOGR setting...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I bought this LOGR asscher setting to fit my cushion cut white topaz:

LOGR asscher.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I think the original setting was for a 11mm asscher, and I had it made for my 8.6mm cushion. I upgraded the diamonds, and also the gold to 18k. Unfortunately, I'm not that enthusiastic about the workmanship. You can see that the ridges on the top aren't very even.

IMG_3130a.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a profile shot where you can see the ridges a little better:

IMG_3114b.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And the other side:

IMG_3115c.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
The diamonds are mostly okay, but there are two bad ones - one with lots of bubble-like inclusions, and one with 3 concentric circle inclusions (it''s weird, I don''t know what it is).

IMG_3127d.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
With my stone. Not sure about this one...it''s odd to say that a white topaz looks washed out, but I don''t think the setting is doing anything nice for the stone.
40.gif

IMG_3133e.JPG

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Such a shame .. the original photo looks sooo nice. It would be perfect for an asscher I have sitting around (failed lan.bo4 setting attempt). Do you find the quality significantly different from before? I am meeting with LOGR tomorrow to return a ring and discuss workmanship - he lives not too far from me.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2009 8:02:36 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Such a shame .. the original photo looks sooo nice. It would be perfect for an asscher I have sitting around (failed lan.bo4 setting attempt). Do you find the quality significantly different from before? I am meeting with LOGR tomorrow to return a ring and discuss workmanship - he lives not too far from me.

Oh, Charmy...that''s going to be a interesting meeting! Please report back!!
31.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2009 8:02:36 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Wow, Charmy - how convenient!! I wish I could take my setting to him - there are things that are really hard to capture on camera.

It''s hard to say if the quality has generally gone downhill. The diamonds on the shank are set very evenly, but other parts look very ameteurish. My legacy-style ring is very nice though, so maybe it just depends on who crafted the mold?

And yes, I''m also interested in knowing how the meeting turned out - come back and post afterwards!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
overall it is a nice looking ring. Diamonds looks like it sets very well, would you want a non ridge look inside instead? would your jeweler be able to polish it down and remilgrain? or too much effort and cost?.... There is a setting that I'm dying to get its six prongs looks like a tulip/flower and I'm just waiting (so very long) to be able to purchase it for my portuguese peridot.

ETA: I love how your camera captures the details so nicely... I need a new camera
39.gif
and DH knows I've been yearning for a new for over a year! what kind is it again?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2009 9:58:30 PM
Author: D&T
overall it is a nice looking ring. Diamonds looks like it sets very well, would you want a non ridge look inside instead? would your jeweler be able to polish it down and remilgrain? or too much effort and cost?.... There is a setting that I''m dying to get its six prongs looks like a tulip/flower and I''m just waiting (so very long) to be able to purchase it for my portuguese peridot.

ETA: I love how your camera captures the details so nicely... I need a new camera
39.gif
and DH knows I''ve been yearning for a new for over a year! what kind is it again?
Hi D&T! I like the idea of ridges or some kind of ornamentation there instead of a plain bar between the big prongs, but this just wasn''t well executed. I don''t think a jeweler could polish those out - that would take away quite a bit of metal.

If this is the lotus setting you''re talking about, I have loved it for awhile: http://cgi.ebay.com/9-25-9-75mm-Round-Pave-Diamond-14K-Gold-Semi-Mount-Ring_W0QQitemZ390084805212QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDiamond_Solitaire_with_Accents?hash=item5ad2ddc25c&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

My camera is probably around 2 yrs old - it''s just a Cannon PowerShot SD1000, but it takes great macro shots for a point and shoot. You can also adjust the white balance, which I find works better than the pre-set lighting functions (cloudy, sun, fluourescent, etc).

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, so what do you think would be a setting that wouldn''t make it washed out? Is it the stone, maybe . . . the diamondesque feel of it, being white (I''ve never seen white topaz in real life) but maybe not as flashy? Or is it just not the right setting?

I''m not usually a halo or bezel girl, and know you just got that Legacy so you might be halo-ed out, but . . . when I looked at it I thought . . . yellow or rose gold halo . . . or at least some sort of bezel, to surround it with a bit of color gold. I don''t know . . . what is your next plan of attack?

(But, then again, I don''t think it looks horribly bad, just going with what you''re feeling about it.)

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2009 10:50:51 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
Hmm, so what do you think would be a setting that wouldn''t make it washed out? Is it the stone, maybe . . . the diamondesque feel of it, being white (I''ve never seen white topaz in real life) but maybe not as flashy? Or is it just not the right setting?

I''m not usually a halo or bezel girl, and know you just got that Legacy so you might be halo-ed out, but . . . when I looked at it I thought . . . yellow or rose gold halo . . . or at least some sort of bezel, to surround it with a bit of color gold. I don''t know . . . what is your next plan of attack?

(But, then again, I don''t think it looks horribly bad, just going with what you''re feeling about it.)
Well, even though the stone is very well-cut, it''s not going to have the flash of a white zircon or diamond, so I guess it can look kinda flat. Especially since most people see a clear stone and think, "oooh, diamond?!" It tends to pick up any nearby color, and I was worried that it would take on too much of a yellow or rose tint with the other gold colors, but it does need something. But all white, with diamonds on the shank looks like an e-ring wanna-be. I think I need a very delicate, micropave halo, with blue or pink sapphires on the shank - in white gold.

And me, halo-ed out? Never!!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/28/2009 11:25:11 PM
Author: cellentani
Date: 8/28/2009 10:50:51 PM

Author: fierypyropixy

Well, even though the stone is very well-cut, it''s not going to have the flash of a white zircon or diamond, so I guess it can look kinda flat. Especially since most people see a clear stone and think, ''oooh, diamond?!'' It tends to pick up any nearby color, and I was worried that it would take on too much of a yellow or rose tint with the other gold colors, but it does need something. But all white, with diamonds on the shank looks like an e-ring wanna-be. I think I need a very delicate, micropave halo, with blue or pink sapphires on the shank - in white gold.

And me, halo-ed out? Never!!

Ha!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/28/2009 10:37:55 PM

Date: 8/28/2009 9:58:30 PM
Author: D&T
overall it is a nice looking ring. Diamonds looks like it sets very well, would you want a non ridge look inside instead? would your jeweler be able to polish it down and remilgrain? or too much effort and cost?.... There is a setting that I''m dying to get its six prongs looks like a tulip/flower and I''m just waiting (so very long) to be able to purchase it for my portuguese peridot.

39.gif
and DH knows I''ve been yearning for a new for over a year! what kind is it again?
Hi D&T! I like the idea of ridges or some kind of ornamentation there instead of a plain bar between the big prongs, but this just wasn''t well executed. I don''t think a jeweler could polish those out - that would take away quite a bit of metal.

If this is the lotus setting you''re talking about, I have loved it for awhile: http://cgi.ebay.com/9-25-9-75mm-Round-Pave-Diamond-14K-Gold-Semi-Mount-Ring_W0QQitemZ390084805212QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDiamond_Solitaire_with_Accents?hash=item5ad2ddc25c&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

My camera is probably around 2 yrs old - it''s just a Cannon PowerShot SD1000, but it takes great macro shots for a point and shoot. You can also adjust the white balance, which I find works better than the pre-set lighting functions (cloudy, sun, fluourescent, etc).
Yes, that is the exact setting, still saved on my watch list, and pasted on a jpeg so I can keep for memories when I am ready
3.gif
. I have a digital camera right now, but I don''t adjust the white balance which I really need to play with it some more until the time comes to get a new camera

Those ridges do make it interesting. Its a beautiful ring congrats though, can''t wait til you set your gemmy in there
36.gif

empress

Shiny_Rock
I''d be tempted to go with baguette cuts for the band - or maybe even tiny cabs - to contrast texture of the main stone.

Or - colored stones on the band to set it off - they''d be far enough away that the topaz wouldn''t pick up the color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/28/2009 7:36:35 PM
I think the original setting was for a 11mm asscher, and I had it made for my 8.6mm cushion. I upgraded the diamonds, and also the gold to 18k. Unfortunately, I'm not that enthusiastic about the workmanship. You can see that the ridges on the top aren't very even.
Cellentani,
I would return that setting, the workmanship is not up the typical LOGR standards that I see, especially for the upgrades you paid for. A couple of grey diamonds are unacceptable when you pay for VS stones. JMO. He should remake it the proper way. Tell him there are grey diamonds, show him pictures if need be.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 7:21:32 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 8/28/2009 7:36:35 PM
Cellentani,
I would return that setting, the workmanship is not up the typical LOGR standards that I see, especially for the upgrades you paid for. A couple of grey diamonds are unacceptable when you pay for VS stones. JMO. He should remake it the proper way. Tell him there are grey diamonds, show him pictures if need be.
I agree with TL. For an upgraded ring, the basket isn't as nice as it should be, and as nice as I've seen it be. The white topaz is lovely, though I'm not sure that setting is right for it . . . I like the idea of baguettes in the shank.
9.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts, TL and Lauren - it''s getting packed up and sent out today. He was very professional, and I''m getting my full refund, including the $30 non-refundable customization fee. Ahh, time to start looking for another setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results