shape
carat
color
clarity

A little worried about color of my diamond. Any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dynastar

Rough_Rock
Ok so I bought a fantastic diamond from WF. It was a 1.52 G VS1 and is really remarkable. Its a superideal cut stone. The only problem I have is that sometimes I find myself looking at it and thinking..."Hmm it does have a yellow tint" but this happens only indoors and only in certain lighting conditions. My question is "does this happen with stones that aren''t D-F"? And YES I know it is not colorless so I''m not saying it should be. My stone faces up really white outside and I was thinking that G shouldn''t be THAT apparent unless you put it up next to a D-F. I can''t tell if its the light that the rooms give off and the diamond returns so much of it that it gives off the "yellow room" light. Infact I have noticed that when in a room painted in blue walls, the diamond looks blue. So if anyone can help alleviate my worrying, I would appreciate it. I just want to know if people out there with really great cut G rounds have issues with people thinking they are yellow. And I know, I bought a near colorless and shouldn''t expect it to be colorless because it isn''t. My issue is that sometimes I''m baffled by it''s going from clear and white in some setting to just the faintest hint of warmth in others. I just figured it would have a more constant look rather than appearing like 2 different diamonds sometime and I can''t figure out if it''s that 1) the light causes the difference in color 2) the G is showing up more in certain light 3) both 1&2 BTW it is set in a pave halo platinum setting so there is some contrast there sometimes.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
It probably appears like 25,000 different diamonds for every different light situation it could possibly be in.
1.gif

You don''t have anything to worry about. My e-ring is an H, and no one (including me) has ever thought it''s yellow. In fact, just the opposite. People assume that my diamond is an F. Odd, but true.

This morning, on the way to work, I noticed that my diamond looked a little VIOLET. How odd, I thought....and then I realized it was picking up color from my royal purple jacket!
1.gif

Rest easy - I''m sure the stone is beautiful and *appears* un-yellow!
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is the lighting and environment you are in. i have a well gut ''g'' and a smaller ''d'' that are virtually indistinguishable color-wise. diamonds by nature are greatly effected by lighting and environment and will look different in various situations.
relax and enjoy your diamond!
36.gif

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
I have a GIA-certified D, but still sometimes see a hint of yellow through the girdle. I know full well that it *must* be a reflection of the walls or whatever, or it wouldn''t be a D. I bet you''re seeing the same effect, and it''s nothing to do with the diamond''s own colour (or lack of it).

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
I had the opportunity today to compare 1.5ct GIA certified G and H pears. They were almost indistinguishable indoors, but outside in the sunlight there was a noticeable difference in color. The H was distinctly more yellow despite both rating near colorless. Obviously, the lighting and surroundings generally can have a material impact on the color appearance of a diamond.

I''m not color sensitive (I have an M color that that I really like) but even my 2ct F takes on a yellowish tinge under certain lighting conditions. In sum, I wouldn''t sweat it. Any diamond will pick up color from the environment, including the ambient light sources.

dynastar

Rough_Rock
Thank you for replying to my message. I feel a lot better now about the diamond.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Replace all your light bulbs with ge reveal light bulbs and clean any shades and the problem will go away :}
but be prepared to do a lot of cleaning.
The yellowish light of standard bulbs and the blue from flourecent lights hide a lot of dirt and grime!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Just today I was looking at my ring in my office which has brown/tan wallpaper and horrible office lights....My stone is an E and it looked tinted. it was certainly the lighting! Don''t sweat it. A G is a nice white color!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You bought a little package of mirrors and windows.

Now buy some blue shirts.

Be happy.

dhog

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/16/2006 11:51:06 PM
Author: kenny
You bought a little package of mirrors and windows.

Now buy some blue shirts.

Be happy.
and hopefully it will sing the blues

I agree with everyone here

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I have an E and once when I was in a bright yellow room it reflected back the colors. I freaked out and put it up to a blindingly white napkin and it looked even whiter than the napkin.

But in the middle of the room on my hand, it flashed back rainbows.

It could be the room you''re in.
36.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Actually when diamonds display the various colors around them, that is demonstrating that it is a really good stone.

When the diamond picks up colors that are part of the environment, it shows that it is gathering the lighting or color environment around it and refracting out the from the crown of the stone.

I would be more worried if stones didn''t refract the various shades of colors it is in.

Recently on the forum some have expressed that diamonds do not gather light from their girdles and pavilions ( as well as the crown area). I think this disproves that theory.

As far as what you see in sunlight ( as gemklectr wrote), different parts of the world have different levels of UV, glare and other characteristics that can alter it''s appearance significantly.

A really highly refractive stone will only refract what it is given. If it is an overcast day, where the light is grey, it will refract the gray color.

If the stone receives yellow color from the hue of incandescent lighting, that is normal.

For that color grade that you purchased, you should not see any yellow caused by the body color of the stone. What you are seeing is the result of the color environment where you are.

Rockdoc

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone above. A well-cut G stone is a very, very white stone indeed. My first diamond was a G and I never noticed any warmth at all. To most casual observers, your ring could pass for a D/IF I''m sure!

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
I do not like wearing yellow clothing because my ring will pick up those colors and look yellow,lol
I like to wear blue though becuase with the faint flour and the blue it picks up it looks so pretty:)

koko

Shiny_Rock
I have the best book on diamond bridal jewelry by Penny Proddow & Marion Fasel called "With This Ring, the Ultimate Guide to Wedding Jewelry".....It has wonderful glossy photos of celebrity erings, and also is very informative & educational.....in the book GIA gemologist John King says most people cannot discern the difference between a D stone and an I, the lowest color grade for white diamonds. However, jeweler Fred Leighton says "Over time you will notice more about the diamond you wear on your hand every day and a good white diamond is always white, it never gets yellow." I notice that my EC diamond (E colorless) looks really white against the white gold setting it''s in......is yours set in yellow or white gold? I''m sure it''s in a platinum or white gold head though......I''ll bet it''s just picking up a reflection of yellowish lighting indoors or something like that.....
34.gif
It''s probably just got a warmer "glow" to it by indoor lighting.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2006 12:49:49 PM
Author: koko
.....in the book GIA gemologist John King says most people cannot discern the difference between a D stone and an I, the lowest color grade for white diamonds.
Interesting statement that I never heard before. Did he offer more information? I have always thought that DEF were considered "colorless" and GHIJ "near-colorless".
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Koko, I have that book too - it says " Most people cannot discern the difference between a D stone and an I, the lowest grade for white diamonds. Why should anyone be expected to make such subtle distinctions when the difference between a D color grade and an I to an untrained eye is ( probably small) according to King."

I just wanted to clarify the above, IMO colour sensitivity can vary, but maybe generally speaking some lay observers with only a casual glance at two diamonds, say of these colour ranges, wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I have read that an I colour can be where the untrained eye can begin to detect colour in a round, the industry tends to go by this idea. Of course, your diamond Miss Lynn and Mara's J's are FABULOUS cuts and look plenty white enough for MOI!
3.gif

Koko - my Hubby thinks that book is DANGEROUS TO HIS WALLET and would love to see it where it belongs, in his opinion, in the bin!
6.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I tend to think that book''s a little off when it comes to judging people''s color sensitivity. I think some people can''t distinguish between D and I, but many people including myself can see the difference between the two when they''re side by side. I can see the difference between F and I and G and I when side by side. When I compared my F radiant to an H radiant in a jewelry store, I could also see the color difference. So, I would guess most people can definitely see the difference between D and I.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is misleading too, you would probably find a fair mix of both with different colour perceptions in a " taste test."

koko

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/19/2006 2:44:42 PM
Author: Lorelei
Koko, I have that book too - it says '' Most people cannot discern the difference between a D stone and an I, the lowest grade for white diamonds. Why should anyone be expected to make such subtle distinctions when the difference between a D color grade and an I to an untrained eye is ( probably small) according to King.''

I just wanted to clarify the above, IMO colour sensitivity can vary, but maybe generally speaking some lay observers with only a casual glance at two diamonds, say of these colour ranges, wouldn''t be able to tell the difference. I have read that an I colour can be where the untrained eye can begin to detect colour in a round, the industry tends to go by this idea. Of course, your diamond Miss Lynn and Mara''s J''s are FABULOUS cuts and look plenty white enough for MOI!
3.gif

Koko - my Hubby thinks that book is DANGEROUS TO HIS WALLET and would love to see it where it belongs, in his opinion, in the bin!
6.gif
Ha, Lorelei!! My husband doesn''t get to peek into my top secret diamond research work....ha,ha.... I actually think that what the gemologist meant in our book was that the average person can''t tell the difference between a D & an I once it''s mounted and in your ring, so why pay the difference? I think I could tell because I would look at it a lot. But others wouldn''t be able to tell the difference by looking......maybe?
34.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree Koko - what about those huge emerald cuts in there - the Harry Winston in particular????
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I like to show Hubby instead of dropping hints in case we win the lottery, but I think it has the opposite effect of scaring the pants off him!
41.gif

koko

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 11:27:46 AM
I agree Koko - what about those huge emerald cuts in there - the Harry Winston in particular????
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I like to show Hubby instead of dropping hints in case we win the lottery, but I think it has the opposite effect of scaring the pants off him!
41.gif
Oh, yes!! And how about the Vera Wang EC ( page 102) East-West setting in the eternity ring with baguettes....my, my.....we can certainly dream!! I think my husband would be terrified too, if I let him in on my "secret desires!!" Kind of like if he came home today & said he wanted to "upgrade" from his Toyota Tacoma truck to a Porsche.....Ha,ha.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HEHEHE...gotcha, the VW east west EC - I have the book on my lap, it is a real treasure for us jewellery addicts...ha ha HA HA HA!!!!

My dream is the HW on page 112, the middle one
18.gif
( we really need a drool icon!) Or on page 107, the HW ducktail setting....

I swear my book terrifies my Hubby, you had better keep yours hidden Koko!!

I like to browse through it and have evil thoughts, preferably with a box of chocolates
3.gif
3.gif

koko

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 11:56:09 AM
HEHEHE...gotcha, the VW east west EC - I have the book on my lap, it is a real treasure for us jewellery addicts...ha ha HA HA HA!!!!

My dream is the HW on page 112, the middle one
18.gif
( we really need a drool icon!) Or on page 107, the HW ducktail setting....

I swear my book terrifies my Hubby, you had better keep yours hidden Koko!!

I like to browse through it and have evil thoughts, preferably with a box of chocolates
3.gif
3.gif
Oh, my.....not trying to "hijack" this topic, but that Harry Winston is a real stunner.....it''s what I think of when I think "classic, timeless" EC for the ages....
34.gif
. It really is the ideal setting for our beloved EC!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops sorry Dynastar for the hijack, but if you could see this book you would understand
3.gif
I think you are just noticing the variances of different lighting situations and it is nothing to worry about. Enjoy your diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results