shape
carat
color
clarity

A highly individual primer to Indian bridal jewelry

Hi everyone! There was a bit of interest in a thread like this over on a different thread so I thought I’d write something up... just as an FYI that jewelry is highly specific to the different communities and subcultures that a person belongs to so this is just borne from my experience. Maybe others would also like to chime in :) I didn’t do pictures because it was really hard to find a representative one... there are several different types of necklaces for example, so which one should I include here? :doh: I put the names though to make it easy to google. Hope this is interesting for people to read :) @RunningwithScissors @Daisys and Diamonds @kipari hope this isn’t too much :D

Traditionally, in terms of decorating the bride, there are a ton of things she must wear (not all of them are jewelry). Nowadays, not all brides wear all of them, but out of the 16 you can usually see people incorporate at least 9 or 10. I usually see people hitting 12 of these, easy.

- outfit: self explanatory :D most common are lehengas (blouse skirt and scarf/stole), saris (blouse, petticoat and long draped fabric), kurtas (tunic, pants and scarf/stole). Most brides usually take a second scarf/stole (called a dupatta) and wear it on their heads like a veil.

- bindi: the dot between the brows. Used to be applied with vermillion powder, but nowadays you can buy stick on ones.

- sindoor: red vermillion powder that is applied to the middle parting of the hair by the groom during the ceremony. It signals a married woman.

- kajal: kohl for the eyes (though usually brides nowadays just use eyeliner)

- hair decoration: traditionally the hair is twisted into either a braid (in the south) or a bun (in the north) and decorated with flowers.

- Head ornament: an ornament worn at the hairline. If it’s a pendant in the centre, often round/oval, sometimes with a drop, it’s called a maangtikka. If it has lines of metal/stones framing the pendant from on either side till the ears and possibly down the middle of the head, the lines are called a mathapatti. If it’s a triangular shaped pendant worn to the side, in the hair, almost touching the temples/ear, it’s called a passa.

- earrings: again different types and shapes are worn. If your earring is really heavy, you can get a decorative ear chain that hooks around your whole ear and keeps it from falling off. Popular styles are jhumkis/jhumkas, which are shaped almost like an umbrella/bell, chaandbalis, which have a wide crescent moon like shape, chandeliers, jhalars, which are like long earrings with long thin strings (???) like a tassel almost?

- nath: nose ring. A very quintessentially bridal thing, while others might wear a small nose ring (especially if they have a pierced nose), bridal naths tend to be pretty elaborate and heavy and can sometimes be held up by a chain to stop the nose from tearing. Guests will usually just wear a stud if at all, unless they’re the mother/sister of the bride.

- necklaces: a lot of brides barely stop at one. Two or more is pretty common. You can find everything from chokers to collar necklaces to bib necklaces to long necklaces. Some quintessentially Indian ones are the tevta, which is a thick large pendant on a bunch of pearl or coloured stone strings held closely together as a rope, aadh, Which is a block of gold as a choker which continues down in a rectangular shape and ends in a series of triangles, Rani haar, which is just a name for a long dramatic necklace, satlada, which is a collection of 7 pearl strings with small pendant spacers dangling between each string, gulbandh, which is like a collar necklace that starts at/under the collarbone, etc. The most important necklace for a married woman is the mangalsutra, which is like a pendant on a string of black and gold beads that the groom makes the wife wear during the ceremony. It’s like the wedding ring for Indians. Nowadays fewer brides wear one everyday after marriage, but that was the norm back in the day.

- bangles: made of glass or gold or lac (which is a kind of resin, I think) is a must have for brides. These are slipped on to the wrist, not opened with a clasp. Kangan or chudiyan are other words for bangles. The bridal chooda, as it’s called in some parts of the country, is super important. They can also wear thick bracelets (which are openable with a clasp of some kind), called a kada. Some brides tie kaleere, which are like umbrella shaped hangings, to their wrists and then shake them over their female unmarried relatives and friends’ heads, if a kaleera falls on a girl it means she’ll get married soon (so sort of like the bouquet tradition in Christian weddings :))

- bajubandh: armlet, worn on upper arm. Much more essential for a South Indian bride.

- rings: traditionally, brides wore hathphool, which is like a collection of rings that are attached with chains/harness to a bracelet (kada) at the wrist. Traditionally, brides wore aarsi, which are rings with mirrors on them, on one finger (I think the thumb?) so that they could catch a glimpse of their husbands.

- mehendi: or henna. Again, quintessentially bridal, though guests apply it too. But it’s done differently. Guests usually just put some on their palms or back of the hand, but the bride’s henna is more elaborate, traditionally goes all the way up to her elbows or even upper arm, and knees (though nowadays hands, forearms and feet only is more common).

- kamarbandh: waistband. Can be cloth these days, but usually metal (gold). Much more essential for South Indian brides.

- perfume: so you smell nice :D

- foot accessories: anklets (pajeb or payal). Traditionally it was not made of gold (at least in some parts of the country) because you didn’t wear gold on your feet! Also, toe rings (bicchua). Toe ring on the second toe was considered a symbol of a married woman though nowadays I know very few women who wear them daily. Also, like pajeb, made of silver traditionally.

Whew. For the 2 people who made it all the way to the end, I hope it was informative and fun to read :D

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Thank you!!! We have just finished Indian style food (I'm German and DH is French, so my attempt at Indian cuisine is approximative and the tikka masala is from patak's :oops:) : chicken korma, chicken tikka, butter chicken.
Immersing myself into the BLING now... Lots of Google image search will be involved

:kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Thank you!!! We have just finished Indian style food (I'm German and DH is French, so my attempt at Indian cuisine is approximative and the tikka masala is from patak's :oops:) : chicken korma, chicken tikka, butter chicken.
Immersing myself into the BLING now... Lots of Google image search will be involved

Oh I just had butter chicken for dinner! Ugh, such a perfect food. I love cooking it for my foreign friends - they’re always suitably impressed and really it’s like the easiest dish in the world to make. I haven’t told them yet how easy it is so that I can lap up the accolades ;)2

I’m sure your indian cooking is better than my german/French cooking! My kitchen hasn’t yet recovered from my last attempt at creme brûlée. I find French food some of the most intimidating in the world to cook. I’m comfortable with Italian when it comes to European cuisines, but all others scare me. I’m much better at eating them than cooking.

Enjoy the bling extravaganza! It’s really fun for me - most of my foreign friends arent into bling (or at least not indian bling, they’d rather talk western style stuff) and my Indian friends already know all of this of course, and we rarely to never buy indian accessories of our own since we can just borrow from our mothers :D

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I just had butter chicken for dinner! Ugh, such a perfect food. I love cooking it for my foreign friends - they’re always suitably impressed and really it’s like the easiest dish in the world to make. I haven’t told them yet how easy it is so that I can lap up the accolades ;)2

I’m sure your indian cooking is better than my german/French cooking! My kitchen hasn’t yet recovered from my last attempt at creme brûlée. I find French food some of the most intimidating in the world to cook. I’m comfortable with Italian when it comes to European cuisines, but all others scare me. I’m much better at eating them than cooking.

Enjoy the bling extravaganza! It’s really fun for me - most of my foreign friends arent into bling (or at least not indian bling, they’d rather talk western style stuff) and my Indian friends already know all of this of course, and we rarely to never buy indian accessories of our own since we can just borrow from our mothers :D

I'm sure your French cuisine rocks!!

Do you mind sharing what you personally prefer, how you chose to dress and accessorize for your wedding? I don't mean to be too nosy, please ignore if too personal.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
This is an awesome thread, thank you so much @AllAboardTheBlingTrain!

We'd all love to see your Indian jewelry! Yes, we can google it, but gosh its more fun to see yours!

One of my best friends growing up was South Asian. I was so fortunate to have known her family (who treated me like one of their own kids!) Some of my fondest memories were helping her mom roll out pooris and drop them in the hot oil and watch them sizzle. And making the homemade cheese. No Indian restaurant will ever compare to Mrs Gupta's kitchen! When I went away to college and complained about the horrible food, she sent me a homemade spice mixture to sprinkle on the cafeteria food. I felt so loved!

:kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

I'm sure your French cuisine rocks!!

Do you mind sharing what you personally prefer, how you chose to dress and accessorize for your wedding? I don't mean to be too nosy, please ignore if too personal.

I’m not married yet :D but I can tell you what I like to see or what I think is a cohesive look!

So leaving aside all the non jewelry stuff (which is all pretty non negotiable, honestly, though I don’t like a LOT of mehendi because I think it looks busy):

- for the head: if you have a big forehead, then a mathapatti looks good. If you don’t, then I prefer just the maangtikka and not a mathapatti along with it because it can overwhelm the face. I also like passas, and people often wear passas and maangtikkas together, which I like as long as they match.

- earrings: I like big bold earrings. Chandeliers and chaandbaalis are my fav and I love the look with the ear chain.

- nose ring: they’re exceptionally uncomfortable but I LOVE the super decorative kind that need to be held up with a chain. I’ve attached a picture that I’ve been obsessing over for the last year (from google, that’s not me).
14AC5126-7245-4C74-B290-E7755949849B.jpeg

- necklaces: I’m partial to a layered look, with either a collar/choker and a rani haar with it. I don’t like satladas somehow, but they’re really effective for coverage!

- I like waistbelts a lot! I think they accentuate the waist beautifully.

- I am not the biggest fan of armbands because they’re uncomfortable. I actually like “toned down arms” because you’re covered in mehendi anyway. So I prefer colourful glass bangles to gold, and I wouldn’t want to wear a ring on every finger. One or two is enough. I love hathphools but not for a bride somehow.

- I don’t like anklets and toe rings much, but I think I’ll be forced into wearing a toe ring for tradition’s sake, so I’m going to stick to a plain band only. They’re really uncomfortable if overly decorative.

ETA: as for outfits, it depends on where you’re from really. North Indian brides usually wear lehengas, Sikh women often wear kurtas, South Indian women and Bengali women typically wear saris. There’s a lot more subcategories etc. also the typical colours vary depending on where in the country you’re from.

Last edited:
This is an awesome thread, thank you so much @AllAboardTheBlingTrain!

We'd all love to see your Indian jewelry! Yes, we can google it, but gosh its more fun to see yours!

One of my best friends growing up was South Asian. I was so fortunate to have known her family (who treated me like one of their own kids!) Some of my fondest memories were helping her mom roll out pooris and drop them in the hot oil and watch them sizzle. And making the homemade cheese. No Indian restaurant will ever compare to Mrs Gupta's kitchen! When I went away to college and complained about the horrible food, she sent me a homemade spice mixture to sprinkle on the cafeteria food. I felt so loved!

:kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

I’m sorry @RunningwithScissors but I don’t post pictures of myself on the internet :cry: I had a really bad experience on another forum where a user pieced together information about me from my pictures and posts and ended up threatening me. They’d found out a lot about me. It took me a long time to join any forum after that. That’s also why I never allude to where I currently live and try and obfuscate personal details. I hope you understand!

Your best friend’s mom sounds so wonderful! Indian aunties are the BEST!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not married yet :D but I can tell you what I like to see or what I think is a cohesive look!

So leaving aside all the non jewelry stuff (which is all pretty non negotiable, honestly, though I don’t like a LOT of mehendi because I think it looks busy):

- for the head: if you have a big forehead, then a mathapatti looks good. If you don’t, then I prefer just the maangtikka and not a mathapatti along with it because it can overwhelm the face. I also like passas, and people often wear passas and maangtikkas together, which I like as long as they match.

- earrings: I like big bold earrings. Chandeliers and chaandbaalis are my fav and I love the look with the ear chain.

- nose ring: they’re exceptionally uncomfortable but I LOVE the super decorative kind that need to be held up with a chain. I’ve attached a picture that I’ve been obsessing over for the last year (from google, that’s not me).

- necklaces: I’m partial to a layered look, with either a collar/choker and a rani haar with it. I don’t like satladas somehow, but they’re really effective for coverage!

- I am not the biggest fan of armbands because they’re uncomfortable. I actually like “toned down arms” because you’re covered in mehendi anyway. So I prefer colourful glass bangles to gold, and I wouldn’t want to wear a ring on every finger. One or two is enough. I love hathphools but not for a bride somehow.

- I don’t like anklets and toe rings much, but I think I’ll be forced into wearing a toe ring for tradition’s sake, so I’m going to stick to a plain band only. They’re really uncomfortable if overly decorative.

Thank you for sharing!!
When the day will come you'll be a stunning bride. With so many more elements to coordinate, the whole outfit planning is a whole new level of complicated!!!

What about the main colour ? Is it red?
Are the jewelry pieces made /bought to match an outfit or vice versa, or does one try to go for neutral colours to be able to match to many possible outfits?
Would most people expect everything to be fine jewelry pieces and rather, say borrow from family members or would it be ok to do (partly) costume to match a specific outfit?

I know jewelry is more important generally in Indian culture than in my sober (boring) minimalistic Lutheran German culture of origin... So maybe more people will have multiple sets of fine jewelry ?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I’m sorry @RunningwithScissors but I don’t post pictures of myself on the internet :cry: I had a really bad experience on another forum where a user pieced together information about me from my pictures and posts and ended up threatening me. They’d found out a lot about me. It took me a long time to join any forum after that. That’s also why I never allude to where I currently live and try and obfuscate personal details. I hope you understand!

Your best friend’s mom sounds so wonderful! Indian aunties are the BEST!

Totally understand! Sorry you had to go through that.

Thank you for sharing!!
When the day will come you'll be a stunning bride. With so many more elements to coordinate, the whole outfit planning is a whole new level of complicated!!!

What about the main colour ? Is it red?
Are the jewelry pieces made /bought to match an outfit or vice versa, or does one try to go for neutral colours to be able to match to many possible outfits?
Would most people expect everything to be fine jewelry pieces and rather, say borrow from family members or would it be ok to do (partly) costume to match a specific outfit?

I know jewelry is more important generally in Indian culture than in my sober (boring) minimalistic Lutheran German culture of origin... So maybe more people will have multiple sets of fine jewelry ?

I think whether you wear costume or fine jewelry totally depends on finances and priorities. I should point out that labour costs are not so expensive in India so jewelry isn’t as expensive as the same thing would cost in a western country, especially Europe (European jewelry prices are eye watering for me!). Also, a lot of people get real gold but synthetic gemstones (and glass instead of uncut diamond). A lot of the time jewelry is inherited so you’re wearing at least some stuff that is passed down over generations, which also helps cost-wise. I think most people would buy jewelry before buying their outfits, but I know a lot of people do it the other way round as well. Usually you use white (as in polki or glass), pearls, red or green stones (emerald, ruby, tourmalines) which are all pretty neutral colours I feel. Traditionally you were supposed to wear all fine jewelry (not costume) and whatever you wear on your wedding ceremony is yours to keep (so you may borrow for the other ceremonies but not the wedding ceremony) but that’s not always how it is these days.

As for outfit colours - it depends on what part of the country you’re from! I think I’ll be pretty much expected to wear red but I might give everyone a heart attack and go with a different colour like yellow. Only things that my mom will put her foot down over is white and black, but I’m fine with that since I don’t want to wear those colours anyway (white is a funereal colour where I’m from and black is inauspicious).

edit: also, yes, if you can afford it you generally would own a few sets of fine jewelry. If you’re reasonably well off you probably also own some sets of western style jewelry since you can actually wear those to other weddings, other ceremonies during your own wedding celebrations etc. I’ve seen people wear indian style jewelry made out of diamonds and WG too - sort of like a blend of both!

2nd edit: also, most coloured gemstones used in Indian jewelry, even if not synthetic, are usually pretty heavily treated. You can buy super fine quality gemstones of course, but usually in western-style designs. Also, I would say that cabs are more popular than faceted stones for traditional styles, at least in larger sizes.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! There was a bit of interest in a thread like this over on a different thread so I thought I’d write something up... just as an FYI that jewelry is highly specific to the different communities and subcultures that a person belongs to so this is just borne from my experience. Maybe others would also like to chime in :) I didn’t do pictures because it was really hard to find a representative one... there are several different types of necklaces for example, so which one should I include here? :doh: I put the names though to make it easy to google. Hope this is interesting for people to read :) @RunningwithScissors @Daisys and Diamonds @kipari hope this isn’t too much :D

Traditionally, in terms of decorating the bride, there are a ton of things she must wear (not all of them are jewelry). Nowadays, not all brides wear all of them, but out of the 16 you can usually see people incorporate at least 9 or 10. I usually see people hitting 12 of these, easy.

- outfit: self explanatory :D most common are lehengas (blouse skirt and scarf/stole), saris (blouse, petticoat and long draped fabric), kurtas (tunic, pants and scarf/stole). Most brides usually take a second scarf/stole (called a dupatta) and wear it on their heads like a veil.

- bindi: the dot between the brows. Used to be applied with vermillion powder, but nowadays you can buy stick on ones.

- sindoor: red vermillion powder that is applied to the middle parting of the hair by the groom during the ceremony. It signals a married woman.

- kajal: kohl for the eyes (though usually brides nowadays just use eyeliner)

- hair decoration: traditionally the hair is twisted into either a braid (in the south) or a bun (in the north) and decorated with flowers.

- Head ornament: an ornament worn at the hairline. If it’s a pendant in the centre, often round/oval, sometimes with a drop, it’s called a maangtikka. If it has lines of metal/stones framing the pendant from on either side till the ears and possibly down the middle of the head, the lines are called a mathapatti. If it’s a triangular shaped pendant worn to the side, in the hair, almost touching the temples/ear, it’s called a passa.

- earrings: again different types and shapes are worn. If your earring is really heavy, you can get a decorative ear chain that hooks around your whole ear and keeps it from falling off. Popular styles are jhumkis/jhumkas, which are shaped almost like an umbrella/bell, chaandbalis, which have a wide crescent moon like shape, chandeliers, jhalars, which are like long earrings with long thin strings (???) like a tassel almost?

- nath: nose ring. A very quintessentially bridal thing, while others might wear a small nose ring (especially if they have a pierced nose), bridal naths tend to be pretty elaborate and heavy and can sometimes be held up by a chain to stop the nose from tearing. Guests will usually just wear a stud if at all, unless they’re the mother/sister of the bride.

- necklaces: a lot of brides barely stop at one. Two or more is pretty common. You can find everything from chokers to collar necklaces to bib necklaces to long necklaces. Some quintessentially Indian ones are the tevta, which is a thick large pendant on a bunch of pearl or coloured stone strings held closely together as a rope, aadh, Which is a block of gold as a choker which continues down in a rectangular shape and ends in a series of triangles, Rani haar, which is just a name for a long dramatic necklace, satlada, which is a collection of 7 pearl strings with small pendant spacers dangling between each string, gulbandh, which is like a collar necklace that starts at/under the collarbone, etc. The most important necklace for a married woman is the mangalsutra, which is like a pendant on a string of black and gold beads that the groom makes the wife wear during the ceremony. It’s like the wedding ring for Indians. Nowadays fewer brides wear one everyday after marriage, but that was the norm back in the day.

- bangles: made of glass or gold or lac (which is a kind of resin, I think) is a must have for brides. These are slipped on to the wrist, not opened with a clasp. Kangan or chudiyan are other words for bangles. The bridal chooda, as it’s called in some parts of the country, is super important. They can also wear thick bracelets (which are openable with a clasp of some kind), called a kada. Some brides tie kaleere, which are like umbrella shaped hangings, to their wrists and then shake them over their female unmarried relatives and friends’ heads, if a kaleera falls on a girl it means she’ll get married soon (so sort of like the bouquet tradition in Christian weddings :))

- bajubandh: armlet, worn on upper arm. Much more essential for a South Indian bride.

- rings: traditionally, brides wore hathphool, which is like a collection of rings that are attached with chains/harness to a bracelet (kada) at the wrist. Traditionally, brides wore aarsi, which are rings with mirrors on them, on one finger (I think the thumb?) so that they could catch a glimpse of their husbands.

- mehendi: or henna. Again, quintessentially bridal, though guests apply it too. But it’s done differently. Guests usually just put some on their palms or back of the hand, but the bride’s henna is more elaborate, traditionally goes all the way up to her elbows or even upper arm, and knees (though nowadays hands, forearms and feet only is more common).

- kamarbandh: waistband. Can be cloth these days, but usually metal (gold). Much more essential for South Indian brides.

- perfume: so you smell nice :D

- foot accessories: anklets (pajeb or payal). Traditionally it was not made of gold (at least in some parts of the country) because you didn’t wear gold on your feet! Also, toe rings (bicchua). Toe ring on the second toe was considered a symbol of a married woman though nowadays I know very few women who wear them daily. Also, like pajeb, made of silver traditionally.

Whew. For the 2 people who made it all the way to the end, I hope it was informative and fun to read :D

Fascinating
I want at least 60% of that !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

ETA: as for outfits, it depends on where you’re from really. North Indian brides usually wear lehengas, Sikh women often wear kurtas, South Indian women and Bengali women typically wear saris. There’s a lot more subcategories etc. also the typical colours vary depending on where in the country you’re from.

This sounds so beautiful

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh now I want lots more pictures both of the wedding outfits & jewelry!
I'm sorry about what you went thru on the other forum- totally terrifying I'm sure!

Ohh now I want lots more pictures both of the wedding outfits & jewelry!
I'm sorry about what you went thru on the other forum- totally terrifying I'm sure!

Thank you (hug). If you do want to just look at the stuff, there are some Instagram pages you can check out! Sabyasachi is an extremely famous designer and he also designs jewelry so his main brand page and his page featuring women who have worn his stuff are both really fun to see (sabyasachiofficial and bridesofsabyasachi). Another cool Instagram to check out is wedmegood and wedmegoodsouth (they’re a wedding planning resource + blog that post a LOT of wedding content. Basically the most famous in India. They have a website with a blog and more pictures as well - wedmegood.com). If you’re a video person, there are some really cool wedding videographers. The most famous in India is probably The Wedding Filmer, or perhaps The Wedding Story, and they post short videos of actual people getting married to YT. Might be easier to navigate this than to just search on google! You can also catch a glimpse of pretty much everything I have written about here in these places, and the WMG site has a search function, so if you search for any one of these terms it’ll pull up pics of real brides wearing them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, 60% of that will land you up to where modern brides are today :D if you do want to buy something just for fun there are a lot of brands that sell costume jewelry that looks like the real thing... I can hunt up a few good ones!

Is it ok culturally for a western person to wear it for fun ?
We do have lots of Indian people here and i wouldn't want to offend anyone

But its just sooooo pretty
Ive always loved looking at it
I also think the tradional clothes are beautiful
ive been watching a few Indian movies on netflex of late

im sad to read toe rings are uncomfortable - i tried one (or more :lol-2: ) and found that too
I also love anklets and arm cuffs

Is it ok culturally for a western person to wear it for fun ?
We do have lots of Indian people here and i wouldn't want to offend anyone

But its just sooooo pretty
Ive always loved looking at it
I also think the tradional clothes are beautiful
ive been watching a few Indian movies on netflex of late

im sad to read toe rings are uncomfortable - i tried one (or more :lol-2: ) and found that too
I also love anklets and arm cuffs

Absolutely! I don’t know if my perspective kinda differs from others on this though, I really don’t mind anyone wearing anything from my culture as long as it’s done in a respectful way and not like it’s a Halloween costume. I think maybe some things like headpieces, bindi, sindoor or henna are hot buttons for cultural appropriation so I would stay away from those and only wear henna or maangtikkas if attending an Indian wedding or something (bindi and sindoor have like religious significance so maybe not those), if you want to be super careful to not accidentally offend, but the earrings/necklaces/bangles/bracelets? Go for it :) tbh I think intent really matters!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
The instagram page was so colorful & interesting! What a contrast to western white gowns!
There was 1 woman in black with some gold; and difficult colored bindi. I always thought they are only red, but I noticed a green one.

I love the headpieces!

The instagram page was so colorful & interesting! What a contrast to western white gowns!
There was 1 woman in black with some gold; and difficult colored bindi. I always thought they are only red, but I noticed a green one.

I love the headpieces!

Black is an unusual colour for the wedding ceremony, but people do wear black for the sangeet (a pre wedding ceremony), cocktail or the reception. Also, I think bindis were traditionally commonly red (since they commonly were made with vermillion powder) but now they’re like all possible colours!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results