shape
carat
color
clarity

A friend of a friend resced a pregnant mare and...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The foal (a little colt) was born early this morning. Mother and baby are doing fine. The pregnant mare was scheduled to be euthanized if not adopted out.

newfoal2.JPG

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Thank your friend for me. I am so happy that she took in a rescue; hope mommy and babe are doing fine and have a happy life now.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam, how wonderful of your friend's friend to adopt her and now her baby. Why was she due to be killed, just because there wasn't a home for her?
38.gif

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Awwww....aren''t they cute.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your friend of a friend is a hero! People like that restore my dwindling faith in humanity.

What a beautiful mare and baby!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
30.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She was probably going to be killed because there was no home for her. I just e-mailed my friend to ask whether they''ll be keeping the colt also - I''ll post that here when I get the answer.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend just wrote back "I think she is going to try to place both the colt and the mare eventually. But those plans may change if they become too attached to them. She''s a school teacher though and will be going back to work soon--so I don''t know. they have plenty of stalls in the barn and plenty of pasture area. They rent a farm in Chesterfield Township in northern Burlington County (New Jersey) and it has lots of room"

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/20/2008 12:12:22 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux
She was probably going to be killed because there was no home for her. I just e-mailed my friend to ask whether they'll be keeping the colt also - I'll post that here when I get the answer.
Thank goodness for your friend taking her.
emrose.gif
It just breaks my heart, that poor horse had to face the slaughterhouse most likely and still people continue to breed.
29.gif

God bless your friend.

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
wow, that little foal is going to be a beautiful horse!! i love the coloring!! your friend sounds like wonderful person!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwwww! ADORABLE!!!
9.gif

Madam, thank you for sharing this! And please tell your friend "thank you" for rescuing this beautiful girl and her baby! We need more people like her in this world!!!
36.gif

Lorelei, I''m involved with a horse rescue based in Maryland. They specialize in Thoroughbreds . . . in fact, that''s where my Red came from. They go to a local horse auction every week and bid against the "killer buyers" who are buying Thoroughbreds to send to slaughterhouses in Canada and Mexico. (The killer buyers usually look for larger horses, like Thoroughbreds and drafts, since they are paid per pound by the slaughterhouses. So, larger horses are generally more at risk than a pony or miniature horse would be.) Sometimes the rescue outbids the killer buyer at the auction, and sometimes the rescue buys horses directly from the killer buyer ~ they just pay the killer buyer more than he could have gotten for the horse at the slaughterhouse. Many people think it''s only older, sickly horses who are sent to slaughter. This is absolutely NOT TRUE! Many, many healthy horses are slaughtered in Mexico and Canada on a daily basis. Fortunately, horse slaughter is a thing of the past here in the US. However, the slaughter houses in Mexico and Canada are typically much worse than the ones in the US ever were. (And they were BAD!) Also, the ride to the slaughter house is very hard on the horses. They usually cram entirely too many horses onto a trailer that wasn''t made to haul horses in the first place, and they don''t typically stop to allow the horses to eat/drink. The ride is usually a very long one. I''m guessing that maybe this mare was going to face the same fate, if Madam''s friend had not adopted her.
38.gif
29.gif

OK, you guys have found my soapbox issue! LOL!
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/20/2008 12:23:03 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Awwwww! ADORABLE!!!
9.gif

Madam, thank you for sharing this! And please tell your friend 'thank you' for rescuing this beautiful girl and her baby! We need more people like her in this world!!!
36.gif

Lorelei, I'm involved with a horse rescue based in Maryland. They specialize in Thoroughbreds . . . in fact, that's where my Red came from. They go to a local horse auction every week and bid against the 'killer buyers' who are buying Thoroughbreds to send to slaughterhouses in Canada and Mexico. (The killer buyers usually look for larger horses, like Thoroughbreds and drafts, since they are paid per pound by the slaughterhouses. So, larger horses are generally more at risk than a pony or miniature horse would be.) Sometimes the rescue outbids the killer buyer at the auction, and sometimes the rescue buys horses directly from the killer buyer ~ they just pay the killer buyer more than he could have gotten for the horse at the slaughterhouse. Many people think it's only older, sickly horses who are sent to slaughter. This is absolutely NOT TRUE! Many, many healthy horses are slaughtered in Mexico and Canada on a daily basis. Fortunately, horse slaughter is a thing of the past here in the US. However, the slaughter houses in Mexico and Canada are typically much worse than the ones in the US ever were. (And they were BAD!) Also, the ride to the slaughter house is very hard on the horses. They usually cram entirely too many horses onto a trailer that wasn't made to haul horses in the first place, and they don't typically stop to allow the horses to eat/drink. The ride is usually a very long one. I'm guessing that maybe this mare was going to face the same fate, if Madam's friend had not adopted her.
38.gif
29.gif

OK, you guys have found my soapbox issue! LOL!
2.gif
IG, you and I are both on the same soapbox. For anyone who wants to try to help these poor horses, there are many ways you can do so. Here is a charity that does great work and they are now campaigning internationally.

http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The whole Thoroughbred game stinks.
29.gif
The race horses who don''t win races are either sold to slaughterhouses or killed for the insurance money.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some more info: My friend says "The vet said she looks like she''d foaled before--so it is hard to know why she was turned in to a kill shelter in the first place. In these times it could be that she had a good time and someone lost the farm due to foreclosure like what happened to Chunk the fat cat."

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/20/2008 12:30:09 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux
The whole Thoroughbred game stinks.
29.gif
The race horses who don''t win races are either sold to slaughterhouses or killed for the insurance money.
OH, DON''T EVEN GET ME STARTED!!!
29.gif

Google "Alydar" and see what you find. My horse, Red, is a grandson of Alydar, so it pisses me off even more!!!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

Here''s a link to the horse rescue Red came from, and that I continue to support: http://www.midatlantichorserescue.org/

This is the organization I belong to, which supports the rescue I mentioned above: http://www.midatlantichorserescue.org/friends_of_twilight.htm If anyone is interested in joining, PLEASE feel free to do so! We need all the help we can get!
21.gif

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
Awww I''m so glad your friend was able to rescue this mare. She is so pretty and her little baby is adorable. Bravo!
thum12.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yay for mommy and baby!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
people are walking away from their homes because they can''t afford them.....and leaving their horses and pets behind. or in the case here, someone dumped a pony in the hills. a woman found said pony and has done everything to find the owner.....how do you lose a pony?! however, no one is stepping up to claim it. good news is that there is interest in adopting it. one can hope it is a legit offer and home and not for animal experiements and/or slaughterhouse.

movie zombie

ps your friend is a HERO.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful thing your friend did
1.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/20/2008 7:26:32 PM
Author: movie zombie
people are walking away from their homes because they can''t afford them.....and leaving their horses and pets behind. or in the case here, someone dumped a pony in the hills. a woman found said pony and has done everything to find the owner.....how do you lose a pony?! however, no one is stepping up to claim it. good news is that there is interest in adopting it. one can hope it is a legit offer and home and not for animal experiements and/or slaughterhouse.

movie zombie

ps your friend is a HERO.
MZ, I''ve heard a lot of horror stories about people who can''t afford to keep their horses anymore, so they just turn them loose! I bet that''s what happened to this poor pony.
38.gif

I mean, I understand that it''s getting very expensive to keep horses because the price of hay and grain is going up so fast and the economy is so lousy right now, but there ARE options! There''s just no excuse for people turning these poor horses loose to fend for themselves.
29.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww they''re beautiful!!!! I love them!

NuiX

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 12:03:30 PM
Author: Lorelei
Madam, how wonderful of your friend''s friend to adopt her and now her baby. Why was she due to be killed, just because there wasn''t a home for her?
38.gif

The way people discard animals makes me so very sad
15.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awwww! What an adorable baby and a pretty mama! That''s great that your friend rescued her.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Oh how beautiful they both are!

I can''t believe that people would put a healthy animal down: especially a pregnant one. That is just so desperately sad.

Your friend is a true hero for rescuing these lovely animals.

x x x

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Awe I''m glad mare & foal are being cared for.
emlove.gif

There is a rescue here called Shiloh & I know they pick up a lot of horses from auction. It is so sad to see pictures of the horses they couldnt take.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Love her, SO CUTE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results