A face mask works better than a face shield

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both together are even more protective. Face shields were meant to be used in addition to face masks. Not instead of face masks.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
41FC5616-A0FF-4E3C-A0E4-F18F51D9D9A3.jpeg CFBA576B-F5E0-42D2-A788-4C839C4D0A1C.jpeg
D71617E2-B30D-466B-8406-175936009B5C.jpeg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both together are even more protective. Face shields were meant to be used in addition to face masks. Not instead of face masks.

I agree.

But I do see people wearing only a shield, even employees in stores.
I suspect some people prefer a mask because it's easier to breath.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But missy, how do you kiss when passion suddenly strikes?
Shields seem as romantic and sensuous as a head-condom.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But missy, how do you kiss when passion suddenly strikes?
Shields seem as romantic and sensuous as a head-condom.

:lol:
True. That’s where a hug and hand squeeze come in handy. Til we’re mask and shield free. Makes one appreciate the spontaneity of pre pandemic times. ❤️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree.

But I do see people wearing only a shield, even employees in stores.
I suspect some people prefer a mask because it's easier to breath.

Yeah. Reminds me of those who wear face masks *under* their noses. :/

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My child and I were just talking about this today. We had a grocery pick-up; we had on masks but the employee wore only a shield. He kept his distance and was outside, so I wasn't too spooked, but I'm seeing more and more of that. I'm sure people appreciate that shields are not as hot and don't hinder their breathing, but they either don't realize or don't care that shields don't do the job.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Makes sense.
When we inhale air it just moves around a face mask, and enters your lungs unfiltered. :blackeye:
But a proper face mask, worn properly, filters and stops many tiny contaminated airborne particles from entering your body.
Of course not all, but way more than when wearing only a face shield.

This makes complete sence but i must admit i did not think this before
i shell keep this in mind should we get community transmission again
thank you Kenny
and Missy too

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Early in the pandemic the news focused on the virus being spread through droplets emitted when somebody sneezes or coughs. A face shield makes sense in that case -droplets generally gave weight an would follow a gradual downward trajectory. Worn by the sick person, a shield would seriously interfere with transmission (but woe be to that kid in a stroller at the cougher’s feet) and worn by a potential recipient, a shield would protect both the nose and eyes from stray droplets that are, again, on a downward trajectory.

The six foot separation mandate seems to support the supposition that they coronavirus is transported primarily through droplets rather than airborne particles.

its only recently that medical journals have started to publish articles that suggest aerosol transmission - the transmission of viral material emitted by breathing rather than sneezing or coughing.

One of the clerks in my local grocery started using a shield rather than a mask pretty early in the pandemic. I have to admit I rolled my eyes at first. But now I appreciate that she’s doing that....

Personally, I wear a cloth mask when out in public, no face shield. And try to be intentional about things like grocery shopping so I spend as little time in enclosed, poorly ventilated spaces as possible.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An added bonus of face masks - pollen blocker!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a total myth @Dancing Fire put about by the ant-mask brigade. How many surgeons have dropped dead at the operating table after being in surgery for many hours?
I'd wear a mask but not a shield. I wouldn't be comfortable wearing a shield.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd wear a mask but not a shield. I wouldn't be comfortable wearing a shield.

I’d love to I’ve you one I’ve made, DF. Many people have commented on how comfortable they are. And I am on Sactown for the week...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our mask mandate specifically says face shields are not considered the same as face masks. So you could hypothetically be denied entry to a business, or forced to use a face mask anyway. Enforcement is impossible. Plus, if someone really can't use a mask for a medical reason, I'd think a shield would be better than nothing. All my healthcare professionals use both at the same time.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The people I see wearing face shields tend to be mostly elderly and/or handicapped. Its not the best but its better than nothing, and if thats what they can get on, fine.

As the armpit has been heating up, I have to say its been pretty rough to wear masks. I wear them inside public building and only when I am around others. but yeah...had a big ol asthma attack one day (it was 95 degrees) and I had to hurry up and get back to my car (safe zone)

However, I still wear a mask no matter what. Rona would probably not be very kind to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results