shape
carat
color
clarity

A face lotion for the dry chilly season?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering what everyone who''s now dealing with the onset of a colder, dryer season uses to keep their face from shriveling off into little pieces?
3.gif
9.gif

I wake up feeling like a dried prune AND I''m removing my makeup and moisturizing before bed. I even put some Vaseline around my driest spots - my nose and tzone.
Do you think this is more of a humidifier solution then a better face lotion? My nose and eyes feel dry as well every morning so thats why I lean towards the humidifier. I was also thinking that maybe I need to up my water intake? Who knows... someone here should! I''m sure!!
3.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I have used Oil of Olay twice a day since I was a young teen and even in our worst weather season (I''m in SoCal, which means while it''s not cold in October, humidity typically hovers in the single digits with lots of wind) I don''t have issues with facial dryness, while my hands and feet are cracked and yucky. I am not a product loyalty person (I don''t have to use a certain shampoo, etc.) but I love OOO.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I just upgraded to a richer moisturizer for winter, but you should also defnitely run a humidifier in your room at night.

I am sensitive-combo/oily/acne-prone, so it''s hard for me to find something with enough moisture that doesn''t also break me out.

I love the new Clinique Superdefense for oliy-combination skin - it also comes in combo-dry and very dry formulas. It has antioxidants and SPF 25, and is very moisturizing without leaving a greasy film. It''s a new formulation of an older product they use to carry, and I think that this one is much better.

Another thing that helps is exfoliating to remove peelies (I like Clinique 7-day Scrub Cream). Also, you may want to switch from a gel-based cleanser to a cream-based cleanser. I normally use Clnique Liquid Face Soap in Mild, but once it gets colder I''ll switch to the Extra Mild version for harsher conditions.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like Philosophy Hope in a Jar. I use it all year actually!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
The only thing that can save my face in the winter -- Cetaphil moisturizing cream (not the lotion.) It has the moisturizing power of Vaseline, but it''s not greasy, it''s hypoallergenic, it won''t clog your pores.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cetaphil is cool.

I also use jojoba oil and Nivea Creme, which is the poor woman's La Mer. If you have $$$, La Mer is supposed to be very good.

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks girls I''ll have to look into all these.

vespergirl Clinique was all my mom ever used and she always used to get comments on how she looked young for her age
1.gif
I''ve always had it in the back of my mind to switch to a brand name even as far as makeup goes but the price is daunting at the moment. I suppose I wouldnt mind spending it for a good face lotion and a solution to my desert face
3.gif
Thanks for the suggestion

neatfreak where do you get Philosophy Hope in a Jar? I''ve never heard of it.. I''m curious
33.gif

Lindsey Is the moisturizing cream version of Cetaphil sold in a little container rather than a squirt bottle? I''m trying to remember if I''ve seen it in walgreens or target.

JulieN do you use the jojoba oil and Nivea at the same time? Or are you saying you alternate?

thanks again! Im going to invest in everything until I find relief
3.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
For my face Olay, but for my body, hands, arms since I live in the dessert I use Aveeno. My skin use to itch from all the dryness and Aveeno is the only thing that helps for me.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been using Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion for about a month and it has really helped me. I used to really dry out around my eyes and I haven''t had any problems yet this winter. My hands are split right now from dryness and Neutrogena Hand cream helps them better than most.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Cetaphil cream is in a jar...my mom has the jar (usually for feet) and the pump bottle for body/face.

I used Retin A micro last year, so I definitely know dry, dry skin, and I was doing everything to moisturize. Jojoba oil, now, I mainly use as my cleanser and m/u remover instead of expensive Shu or DHC oils. After you wash your face and pat dry, you can use 1 or 2 drops instead of your regular moisturizer, or spot treat any dry patches. In some people, and with certain amounts/time of exposure, may cause itching, as in an allergic reaction. I get it if I slather my face and leave it on for 10 minutes, so I obviously don't do that.
1.gif
A lot of people like this method, but of course, does not work for everyone. It is very natural (I use 100% organic oil) and free of preservatives, silicones, or whatever else. Jojoba oil is a little thinner than olive oil, and doesn't smell like olive oil, so that is why I use it instead of EVOO, which would be fine, too.

Nivea Creme is rich...you want just a pea-sized dab and then warm it up by rubbing between your fingers before application. You can always use more if needed. If you're just using it on your face, the small $1 tins will last you forever. Alternatively

I don't use both at the same time, since they are both oil-based, so mostly do the same things.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey there! A great drugstore alternative to clinique is Neutrogena - I really like their anti-oxidant moisturizers - the day cream has spf 20. I also really like Olay, but I find they''re better if you don''t have super-sensitive skin. I think that they do have some lotions in fragrance-free formulas, so that''s a great hypo-allergenic option. My grandmother swore by Olay, and she always looked younger than her age.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m late to this thread but I love Kiehl''s! I use the Creme d''Elegance Repairateur and I love it. I have pretty dry skin and it moisturizes better than their regular Ultra Face Moisturizer.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2008 11:35:09 PM
Author: SailorsSweet<3
neatfreak where do you get Philosophy Hope in a Jar? I''ve never heard of it.. I''m curious
33.gif

At department stores or places like Sephora. It''s on the expensive side but it lasts forever. You literally only need a dab and I have the worst dry (but breakout prone) skin in the world.

Here''s a link:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P4633

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don''t use lotion anymore--as I like the tenacity of cremes. I use Nuxe face products--natural, gentle biotanicals. Great products. Their biotanical cleaning milk is gentle and the Creme Fraiche rich!

cheers--Sharon

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
I really like Avene for this. I have several of their creams (one for all over, another for a specific flaky trouble spot of mine) and really like them. I think the one I use all over is the Rich Moisturising Cream (something like that), and the thicker one is called Cicalfate.

I don''t know how widely available Avene is, though. I really like their line in general - quite gentle, not overly fragranced, doesn''t make me break out.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
My DH has been tormented (at times horribly) by dry skin his whole life, yet a lot of lotions make him break out, so we''ve experimented with many on his face.

The original Nivea (the heavy goop in a jar) is the only one he has used for the last ten years or so. Yeah, it seems like it ought to break you out like mad, but it really doesn''t, and it is SERIOUS moisturizer. I''m oily/sensitive/acne prone and it doesn''t break me out either- though, I don''t need it all the time like he does. He used to literally crack and bleed from dry skin- after I introduced him to Nivea he has not had that problem in years.

My mom has used it on her face for 20 years or so, and at 60 she can pass for late 30s because of no fine lines, despite years of tanning (bad mom!)

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
Clinique is AWESOME, and it''ll last you a lot longer than you think. A little goes a long way and I saw results very quickly!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2008 6:34:23 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
The only thing that can save my face in the winter -- Cetaphil moisturizing cream (not the lotion.) It has the moisturizing power of Vaseline, but it''s not greasy, it''s hypoallergenic, it won''t clog your pores.
I use the cetaphil moisurizing cream year round day and night...it changed my life! Its great!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I just found a really great moisturizer. My skin is usually dry, flaky, itchy, etc, especially in the winter months. I just got an Avon product called Rejuvenate. It''s a little jar of cream that is used in the evening. It''s been really moisturizing, and my pores on my nose are shrinking. I don''t have that greasy-over-lotioned feel in the morning, but my skin itself feels more supple.

AprilD

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies for all these suggestions.

Although I dont have problems with dry skin (exact opposite actually), my bf is desperately trying to find a non perfume and "cheap" moisturizer.

Im going to show him this thread!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 11:36:47 AM
Author: AprilD
Thanks ladies for all these suggestions.

Although I dont have problems with dry skin (exact opposite actually), my bf is desperately trying to find a non perfume and ''cheap'' moisturizer.

Im going to show him this thread!

Cetaphil. My DH uses it and loves it.

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
I use Arbonne (it''s a 5-step thing and the moisturizer is step 5) and since it''s the only thing I trust with my finicky skin, I basically just use 50% more during the wintertime.

I have also been known to rub vaseline on super-dry spots!

One thing to consider - what sort of thing are you using to remove your makeup at night? I often just use water but in the wintertime, I stop removing it all together b/c I find that the own oils in my skin overnight not only keep my face less dry, but it must "balance" the wintertime dry air b/c my skin is just as clear as normal. I would say that if you''re using anything alcohol-based to remove makeup, or water, that may be making it even more dry.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
I use Philosophy's when hope is not enough serum and then the hope in a jar. It is really good stuff. I would suggest getting a cool mist humidifier. I run one in all the rooms in my house every night. It helps with the dry noses and cracked lips.

My mom also use DHC olive oil. I have used it a few times and the consistency is great and it absorbs quickly without being greasy.

www.dhccare.com/DHC/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=1&Catalog=DHC+USA

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clinique just came out with a new face cream, for Dry Sensitive Skin. It is called On Call. I can''t rave enough about this cream. It is WONDERFUL!!! It leaves my face instantly hydrated and smooth. I LOVE it!!!!!!!

Linda

emeraldluvr

Rough_Rock
If you are using a product that''s called a "face lotion" then perhaps it is time to turn to a moisturizer. Facial lotions are not meant to really give you the hydration that you need and apparently your skin is thirsty for some water so go out there and get yourself a good facial moisturizer.

I''ve been using this product from Sephora called "Magic White Ice" by Arcona. It is a very light gel, I am not crazy about the scent at all but it works fine for me because I apply a thick SPF over it.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi SailorsSweet.
35.gif
It''s a constant battle, isn''t it??

I''m thinking along the same lines as Laughwithme - what are the other products that you use on your face? Some soaps can be super-drying, so you may want to think about a gentler soap. Review the ingredients in your make-up remover and any toner you might use also. You may want to switch to something for sensitive skin.

Are you drinking enough water?? I find that when the weather gets colder I tend not to drink as much water because water always seems to come cold, which in turn makes me feel cold. Like, do I really want ice water at a restaurant when it''s 20 degrees out?? In the winter I try to drink bottled water at room temp or I''ll even drink warm water out of the tap. If I don''t get enough water, my lips are the first to get really dry, then my cuticles. Just a thought.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nivea creme works for me, great on hands too.

niccia

Shiny_Rock
After hearing so many good things about Clinique on here, I went and got some myself. Usually I stick to Lancome, but the bottle their foaming cleanser comes in drives me nuts (it always spills out the cap). I am 30 with normal to dry skin...I wanted to try the On Call but we don''t have it here yet, so I bought : the foaming cleanser, super defense moisturizer, and all about eyes. The lady told me I should really use two cleansers; one to remove makeup and one to clean. I barely wear any makeup apart from Jane Iredale powder and Lancome blush so I didn''t take her advice. Anyway, so far I am really liking it. My skin feels great, and it is amazing how fast you get addicted to moisturizing... I also like that their products don''t smell like fragrance. Thanks for the recs, and also, do any of you ladies use the turnaround microdermabrasion creams? If so, do they really make a difference? I don''t like to put anything too harsh on my skin.
emteeth.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2008 2:33:25 PM
Author: niccia
After hearing so many good things about Clinique on here, I went and got some myself. Usually I stick to Lancome, but the bottle their foaming cleanser comes in drives me nuts (it always spills out the cap). I am 30 with normal to dry skin...I wanted to try the On Call but we don''t have it here yet, so I bought : the foaming cleanser, super defense moisturizer, and all about eyes. The lady told me I should really use two cleansers; one to remove makeup and one to clean. I barely wear any makeup apart from Jane Iredale powder and Lancome blush so I didn''t take her advice. Anyway, so far I am really liking it. My skin feels great, and it is amazing how fast you get addicted to moisturizing... I also like that their products don''t smell like fragrance. Thanks for the recs, and also, do any of you ladies use the turnaround microdermabrasion creams? If so, do they really make a difference? I don''t like to put anything too harsh on my skin.

emteeth.gif

I bought On Call, it is wonderful!!!!! I can''t rave enough about it. I know you will love it.

ms_claudia

Rough_Rock
Check out www.makeupalley.com, it''s basically pricescope for makeup and skin products

Do get a humidifier, it worked wonders for me.

Try switching cleansers in the winter time, I ditch any foaming/bubbling/soap type of cleansers during the winter b/c the sulphates/sulfates (forgot which is the proper spelling) strip your skin of moisture.

I like Philosophy''s Purity Made Simple for a winter time cleanser, it takes off all my makeup (including eye makeup) and it leaves my skin soft... it''s got oils in it.

Another remedy for dry skin is to take a hot steamy shower to plump and moisten your skin, then about half way through the shower I rub a couple of drops of extra virgin olive oil, yes the stuff in your kitchen cabinet, on my face (and everywhere else... great stuff). It won''t break you out, it has anti aging benefits, and it leaves your skin oh so soft moist and glowing.

Have you tried Egyptian Magic Healing Cream? It''s got a cult following and I never understood why until I bought some. It''s the holy grail of all purpose products... Use it on my hands, lips, elbows, cuts, scrapes, zits, anything that I''m afraid will scar or blemish, night cream, and also as a serious facial moisturizer/eye cream on those super bitter cold days and nights. A very tiny little bit goes a looooooong way on your face. I swear my skin looks younger in the morning when I use this as my night cream. The ingredients are the best part: beeswax, bee propolis, honey, extra virgin olive oil. That''s it... no long chemical names that you can''t pronounce.

Hope this helps... gosh that was long sorry... lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results