shape
carat
color
clarity

a couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrgrl

Rough_Rock
recently my boyfriend and i have been ring shopping. we have some differences in taste, but i want us both to love the ring. he likes setting with side stones, i prefer channel settings. recently we found a wedding band we really like: it has princess cut channel set diamonds, but placed diagonally. however, we didn''t care for the ring that came with it and were looking at some other options, including a setting with sidestones.

here is a link to another thread that has a picture of what i am talking about: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-you-seen-a-band-like-this-on-the-internet.40252/

anyway, the center diamond pictured is not certifiied, which doesn''t thrill me. the jewelry store says they will set any outside diamond (except princess cuts) into one of their settings. we''re looking at about a .75 carat, ideal cut round, J+, SI1+ to purchase. if the side diamonds are of lesser quality, will there be a noticeable difference in appearance between the center diamond and the side ones? i mean, will it be like, "ooh, what a pretty center diamond, but the other 2 look like crap"?

also, is it weird to have one kind of channel setting on the band and another on the engagement ring? like, if i got an engagement ring with just one stone and then channel set princess diamonds, do you think that would be odd (since they are set diagonally in the wedding band)?

i didn''t realize ring shopping would be so difficult!

chrgrl

Rough_Rock
just boosting, so maybe i''ll get some replies...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally would not feel comfortable buying a stone that is uncertified. Would the jeweler be willing to send it to an independant appraiser before you buy? Then you''d have a better idea of what you''re getting.

Normally side diamonds are in the g-h range so i don''t think they''ll look bad. again, an independant appraisal will help answer this,

as for mixing bands...there are no rules..wear what you like
1.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
MrsSalvo's suggestions are good, especially about an appraisal agreement pre-purchase. For what you typically pay for a center diamond I believe you should expect a grading report.

Many companies offer melee or side stones better than J, but not all. You indicated 'lesser quality.' J is the border of near-colorless. K is faint yellow - so if the sides are K or lower I would expect that there might be a difference in appearance, particularly if the cut is not premium and/or they were graded by a lab that is less strict than AGS/GIA. You may want to get more information or - better yet - view the sides. Be sure to see them in several lighting environments if you have the opportunity, and view them alongside the proposed center.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results