shape
carat
color
clarity

A compromise or a terrible idea?

TheyCall

Rough_Rock
My BF has asked me to ring shop and I have obliged, VERY willingly!! :)

However, I searched and searched and searched for the perfect ring to show him and when I found it I didn''t like the look with a wedding band. I had wanted a diamondless band with a diamond wedding band. It made the halo I fell in love with look like it was on the wrong ring. Awkward and sad all at the same time, it "belonged" on the diamond wedding band.

So i had an idea. I found a jeweler that I think my BF and I would love to work with (not that the BF knows it yet! haha!) and I found a perfect halo ring with the tiniest diamond band (2mm) that I LOVE from faceup. But am not in love with the profile view. Since the Jeweler is a certified bench jeweler, I thought that this could solve all of the BF''s issues of me choosing my own ring.

This is my idea, please let me know if you think I am being crazy.

I think it would be fabulous (if the BF agrees) to make an appoint with the jeweler and my BF to show them the ring in the case that I love from faceup and show a few examples of profiles that he has made and I like. Then, I would leave. Letting the jeweler and BF talk about it. I know I would like a dainty version of a cathedral setting and love this jeweler''s engraving work and think it could incorporate nicely into a basket or profile he and my BF could design together. Thus fixing the "missing surprise element" of me picking out the ring.

I completely trust the jewelers taste, I love everything he has made, and trust that my BF knows what I would like.

Do you think this is a creative solution my BF might appreciate or will this be a disaster?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a good solution. Why are you concerned that it would be a disaster?

TheyCall

Rough_Rock
I guess I don't. I think it is an excellent idea but I am afraid it is one of those ideas that are so wonderful in your head that they cannot possibly work out as planned.

Like, maybe he'll hate the idea because then he would have the stress of my not liking it because as much as he wants to surprise me with a ring, he would rather just know its one I'll like.

I just can't think like a boy. lol. I just wanted to hear some opinions on it before I get home from work and try to talk to him about it.
17.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
When you say diamond wedding band, do you mean the shank of the ering?

TheyCall

Rough_Rock
No, I mean the wedding band. I don't want a full eternity band, just the top.

I had originally wanted a diamondless ER shank but it looked very strange with the wedding band like this one. Now I am thinking I would like the opposite, plain wedding band and a diamond ER shank.

530648803_MV_LG.jpg

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I think I see...you want a 1/2 or 3/4 eternity band for your ering, and a plain band for your WB? I guess I''m confused because you mentioned a halo in your OP.

Have you looked at PS vendors? There are a million examples. My 2mm 1/2 eternity from WF is one. The stones are small though, 2-pointers. Are you sure you don''t want something more substantial?

TheyCall

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/8/2010 3:41:25 PM
Author: sunnyd
I think I see...you want a 1/2 or 3/4 eternity band for your ering, and a plain band for your WB? I guess I'm confused because you mentioned a halo in your OP.

Have you looked at PS vendors? There are a million examples. My 2mm 1/2 eternity from WF is one. The stones are small though, 2-pointers. Are you sure you don't want something more substantial?

Yes, that is what I am thinking. The halo is for the ER, i was just concerned that the er without diamonds on the shank looked off center when next to a WB with diamonds. To clarify, like this, but slightly larger diamonds in the halo and shank. This is 1/5 TW and they are too small. its like there is too much metal.

827346872364.jpg

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that you don''t have to get the band that "goes with" the ering. You can get the ering, then search around for whatever band you want later.

Personally, I like the look of a halo on a diamond shank more than a halo on a plain shank, but I have seen nice ones both ways.

I think it''s a perfectly fine idea to go the custom route and have your bf pick out some of the details. Lots of girls do it that way. Or if he doesn''t want the responsibility of deciding the details, you could just stay with him and talk to the jeweler too. Both my ering and wband are custom and I was the one to tell the jeweler what I wanted.

kagordo4

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/8/2010 3:58:31 PM
Author: elrohwen
Keep in mind that you don''t have to get the band that ''goes with'' the ering. You can get the ering, then search around for whatever band you want later.

Personally, I like the look of a halo on a diamond shank more than a halo on a plain shank, but I have seen nice ones both ways.

I think it''s a perfectly fine idea to go the custom route and have your bf pick out some of the details. Lots of girls do it that way. Or if he doesn''t want the responsibility of deciding the details, you could just stay with him and talk to the jeweler too. Both my ering and wband are custom and I was the one to tell the jeweler what I wanted.
This is what we''re doing sort of. I picked my setting from Tacori, and I don''t like the band that "goes with it." So we''re either having it custom made by Tacori or I''ll find something else I like.

If you''re in LOVE witht he setting then get it. You have plenty of time to find your wedding band.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Why don''t you just ask your BF what he thinks of the idea?

I do not think it is a "terrible idea", but it does not really matter what *I* think - you two need to figure out what works for you!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2010 3:50:43 PM
Author: HaloLove

Date: 6/8/2010 3:41:25 PM
Author: sunnyd
I think I see...you want a 1/2 or 3/4 eternity band for your ering, and a plain band for your WB? I guess I''m confused because you mentioned a halo in your OP.

Have you looked at PS vendors? There are a million examples. My 2mm 1/2 eternity from WF is one. The stones are small though, 2-pointers. Are you sure you don''t want something more substantial?

Yes, that is what I am thinking. The halo is for the ER, i was just concerned that the er without diamonds on the shank looked off center when next to a WB with diamonds. To clarify, like this, but slightly larger diamonds in the halo and shank. This is 1/5 TW and they are too small. its like there is too much metal.
Ah, I think you''re getting some terminology mixed up. You want a haloed stone with a diamond shank and debating a plain WB or one with stones. Right?

Okay, so the metal thing I completely understand. I wanted my own rings to have a ''barely there'' appearance as far as the metal goes. Have you looked at pave vs bead set vs channel set? If you''re going custom, you can take a picture of some examples and tell the jeweler that that''s what you want it to look like. I''d do a search through the SMTB forum, perhaps the multiple halo threads or profile thread to narrow down exactly what you want. A good jeweler will also make sure that the proportions of the stones in the halo and shank look good with the size of your main stone.

Take a look at Gypsy''s ering thread also, she''s the only example I can think of right now that has a diamond halo without stones in the shank and it''s beautiful.

Good luck with your search!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
So basically you want the jeweler and BF to pick out a profile view from a few that you''ve pre-selected?

I don''t see anything wrong with that. I have no idea if your SO will appreciate it though; you should ask him.

TheyCall

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I was planning on asking him when I got home, I just wanted to run the idea past everyone to make sure people didn''t throw up a red flag like, ''NO! I did this, it was awful.'' lol. That didn''t happen, so we''re all for go.

Also, It seems like everybody is confused about what I am deciding between anyways. I thought I cleared it up easily, but i see in the comments that I do not think we are seeing eye to eye and it is probably because it is confusing even to me. That is not to say you all haven''t been helpful - because you most certainly have been. I think the biggest problem is I do not know exactly what I want. I wanted the plain shank on the ering and the diamond shank on the wband originally because I don''t usually like both to be diamond. It is too flashy for me. However, when I tried it on, I didn''t like the plain shank with the halo + diamond shank wband; therefore, I am now looking at the reverse = diamond shank ering and plain wedding band. (Still with the halo on the Ering, that is not up for change)

as mentioned above, yes, you are right. I could just get the Ering and worry about the band later but that route was pretty disastrous for my cousin 2 years ago. Long story, but it ended with lots of fighting and tears and terrible things being said not because they meant it but because they were stressed trying to find it before the wedding. Not saying that happens to everyone but it was very sad to watch as close family.

I would feel more comfortable knowing at least what type of wband would look nice with the ering before buying it i guess.

Unfortunately, we didn''t get to talk about it because the replica rings I ordered from Eternity had not arrived before he went to work. Tonight it is!

P.S. Sorry for all the confusion.
32.gif

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to kind of change the subject but, I ordered some rings to try from Eternity Diamonds also and still have not received them. I was wondering if you could let me know when you ordered yours and how long it took to get them when they come in. To be fair, one of the rings I wanted to try was out of stock but they actually didn''t let me know that til 4 days after I ordered them and then another day for them to respond after I emailed back (1 day isn''t long).

I guess I''m just getting antsy lol I want to try some rings!!

TheyCall

Rough_Rock
not a problem! I ordered them last Tuesday and they came in yesterday''s mail. so... a week. :)

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much! Are you gonna take any pics of them on your hand? I''d love to see them
31.gif

TheyCall

Rough_Rock
This is the Anya, size 6.5, replica of a 0.8 carat. I wear a 4.5 and am looking at a 0.5-0.75 carat center stone. The halo on this one is so pretty that I am leaning towards a .5-.6 ct center stone. I feel like on my finger - both of the halos push these rings to larrrrrge.

2010-06-11 13.13.26.jpg

TheyCall

Rough_Rock
This is the Charlotte, size 6.5, replica of a 1 carat. Of the two rings, I think the Charlotte has band that is too thick and it is hard to visualize it with a smaller center stone. Right now, the stone is so large, the halo is hard to differentiate. I really like the anya though

2010-06-11 13.14.03.jpg

TheyCall

Rough_Rock
The profiles! Anya on the left, Charlotte on the right

2010-06-11 13.30.39.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results