shape
carat
color
clarity

A Book(s) Thread

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have posted once or twice to weigh in on Barbara Kingsolver and Margaret Maron, but I haven't reported on my own reading in a while. When I last wrote, I was finishing Vince Flynn's Consent to Kill about his protagonist Mitch Rapp who is a CIA counter-terrorism agent (read: assassin). Since then, I quickly went through his Act of Treason; Protect and Defend; Extreme Measures; and Pursuit of Honor. I think that Mr. Flynn got better and better as he matured as a writer. I dislike his politics, but I think he really delivers on an exciting story. I also find that he draws some likeable characters. Knowing that Mr. Flynn has recently struggled with health problems, I have also found myself rooting for him and praying for him, even though Karl Rove and Rush Limbaugh (whom I loathe) compliment his books in their opening pages!

After I finished Pursuit of Honor, I took a break from Mitch Rapp and Vince Flynn and read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee bender. It was, as described by someone, gorgeously weird. It was just what I needed for a break. It is about as unlike a graphic thriller based on geo-political realities as anything on earth. I enjoyed it a lot, but some of why I enjoyed it so much may just have been that it was so different from what I had been reading. It was also very easy to read!

I then reread Thomas Perry's first book about Jane Whitehead,Vanishing Act. Jane is an Indian (Native American/Seneca) woman who helps people in fear of their lives disappear. She also has enormous fighting skills and skills for survival in the wild, however, skills she derived in part from her background. The books about her are written with great respect. In Vanishing Act, there is a part where is pursued in a forest and becomes cold, wet, and frightened. There is no lack of realism in what she faces; she is not a super-hero. But in time she slowly comes into touch with things she learned about the forest from a Native American perspective and she realizes that although she is outmatched, she is not totally helpless. I had never reread any of the books about her, although I love all of them and could reread any of them again and again because they are so satisfying! I really highly recommend these books.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've just finished my fourth Isabel Dalhousie novel, The Careful Use of Compliments. (It looks like Alexander McCall Smith set out to use "The Sunday Philosopher's Club" as the common thread for these books, then dropped that and now just calls this series after its main character.) Isabel Dalhousie is a philosopher by profession, and a sleuth/interloper almost by happenstance; she gets pulled into situations largely because her moral code compels her to do so. Although these books are classified as "mysteries," the mystery elements almost always take back seat to the story arch of Isabel's life and the philosophical musings that tie it all together. At times the musings take me back to college, standing around the kitchen work table with a bunch of house mates, sharing a bottle of wine and debating the fine points of some moral conundrum or contemporary event.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this series. I consider myself fortunate that I came to it late, so I that I don't have to wait a year for the "next installment" to come out. But I'm going to have to pace myself so I don't run out too quickly - I think I'll have to look for Vanishing Act, which sounds very interesting!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bliss_cathy|1391734809|3609625 said:
BrittanyLovgonski|1391694175|3609184 said:
Just finished reading Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy

It's surreal but NOw I understand why others are so in love with Christian Grey.

Did you know it was based on fan fiction from a fan of twilight?

I haven't read Fifty Shades of Grey or Twilight, although I never had a reason not to read Twilight. No one ever told me I should read it, that's all.

I didn't want to read Fifty Shades of Grey, because to me, it sounded like a cheap ripoff of The Story of O. Has no one been comparing it to that? (I haven't followed closely. I just read about their contrived sado-masochistic relationship and thought: Story of O.)

AGBF
:saint:

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've read Divergent and Insurgent and am now working on Allegiant. LOVE the series! :D :D

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cozystitches|1393718689|3625506 said:
I've read Divergent and Insurgent and am now working on Allegiant. LOVE the series! :D :D

I finished Divergent yesterday and liked it, but am not sure if I like it enough to read the series. I'm going to wait until after the movie to decide. :))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been super busy since DH got sick in July then the wedding and school and I got sick and he got sick and....

It may not be great literature, but I've been on a murder mystery kick lately. I'm out of Sue Grafton alphabet books to read (made it all the way from A to W!) and have finished all but the latest of the Diane Mott Davidson catering series. Still need to go buy The Whole Enchilada.

Currently reading Agatha Christie books. Lots of them. LOVED And Then There Were None! Cat Among the Pigeons was great too (and had sparklies!!!)

Right now I'm reading:

A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple)
Appointment with Death

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ,

I just want to tell you about my experience going to a thrift store to find books. I bought 10 hard cover, mainly brand new first editions, for $20.00. I have decided that since people are reading electronicly, that books are going to become scarce. So I'm collecting books again. I love books and don't want them to disappear. I went looking to send a niece some books and now I'm having trouble letting go.

I haven't read much since 2005, so there is lot out there for me. I, too, like Nelson Demille and was happy to find 2 books of his that i had not read. I have a treasure trove on my coffee table. It honestly makes my happy.--no paperbacks.

Deb thanks for recommending the Vanishing act. I put it on my list. ( I know I'm supposed to underline)

Annette

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Memory of Vince Flynn:

I just finished The Last Man by Vince Flynn and enjoyed it thoroughly. I have been systematically working my way through all his Mitch Rapp thrillers (he has called them "thrillers" on their covers) for months now. I have said some disparaging things about his writing and his politics in this thread, although I have always maintained that his writing held my interest. The more that I read, however, the better his books grew as he matured as a writer. Not only did the books become quicker paced and more fluid, hard to put down, but his characters evoked more sympathy from me. He seemed to lose some of his hard edge.

I went to his Amazon author's page today as soon as I finished the last book I had read by him, which I noted was published in 2013, because I wanted to know when the next one would be coming out. He had grown on me that much. When I read that he had died in June 2013 I felt as if I had been punched in the stomach. I had never before read his biography except that he lived with his wife and children in Minnesota. I knew he had cancer, but I thought he was recovering. I really feel sad about losing him. He was born in 1966. He shouldn't have died so young. I wish I had written to him.

Deb/AGBF

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1393958324|3627322 said:
Hi ,

I just want to tell you about my experience going to a thrift store to find books. I bought 10 hard cover, mainly brand new first editions, for $20.00. I have decided that since people are reading electronicly, that books are going to become scarce. So I'm collecting books again. I love books and don't want them to disappear. I went looking to send a niece some books and now I'm having trouble letting go.

I haven't read much since 2005, so there is lot out there for me. I, too, like Nelson Demille and was happy to find 2 books of his that i had not read. I have a treasure trove on my coffee table. It honestly makes my happy.--no paperbacks.

Deb thanks for recommending the Vanishing act. I put it on my list. ( I know I'm supposed to underline)

Annette

Don't forget Half Price Books too!

I got a 21 volume set of Mark Twain books published in 1911 for just $20 (+10% off!).
Ran across Theodore Herzl's Zionist Writings -- in German -- that was published (best I can tell) in 1904 for just $2!!

Plus bunches of others!
We have run out of bookcases. Trying to figure out where to fit more bookcases...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found a new (to me) author that I really like. I just read And Then She Was Gone by Rosalind Noonan. It's about what a family goes through after their 17 year old girl is saved from her kidnapper 6 years after being abducted. I'd like to read Noonan's other books too. I think she's written five or six in total.

I also finished reading two of Kristin Hannah's books, Firefly Lane and Fly Away. They were good but I'm not usually a fan of stories that take place over decades. I have a few other books by Hannah to read.

Right now though I'm reading Linda Castillo's book, Her Last Breath. She writes about a police chief in Ohio's Amish country, and this is her latest in the series. Her books are a bit on the gruesome side at times, so I tend to gloss over those parts. Overall though, I really like Castillo's stuff.

I started to read Stella Bain by Anita Shreve but I couldn't get into it. It's not bad but it's a little slow. I like Shreve's books usually, so maybe I'll give it another try.

Has anyone ever read any of Maria Murnane books? http://mariamurnane.com/books/ Since I think I'm one of very few people who read chick lit here, I'm guessing no one has. I have a few of her books that I'm planning on trying after finishing Her Last Breath. I think I'll need something lighter to read after that one.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
MC|1393893173|3626863 said:

I finished Divergent yesterday and liked it, but am not sure if I like it enough to read the series. I'm going to wait until after the movie to decide. :))

I felt the exact same way, MC. I actually didn't pick the series up again until after Allegiant came out this last year. But I went back a re-read Divergent and warmed up to it much more upon a second reading. I finished the series, and while it's not among my top 10 or anything, it was enjoyable and has some unexpected heft in the third book.

I am a little concerned about the movie; first there is always potential to just really mess it up (Percy Jackson, anyone?), but also because the only thing I have ever seen Shaliene Woodley in is that ABC Family show that is very melodramatic and I hope she won't be a whiny Tris.

Speaking of unexpected, Cozy, you'll have to let me know what you think of Allegiant. We'll keep it spoiler free, but I am very interested in others' reactions to what I think was a gutsy final installment.

I found a new author recently, Intisar Khanani. She has two novels and one short story out, a self published author. Usually I find editing problems with self publishers, but these books do not suffer from that. Thorn is a retelling of the Goose Girl story and it's wonderfully written, just dark enough to not be immature, and very satisfying. Sunbolt was good, too, but felt cut off at the knees; waiting for the next installment to see if we get more resolution on the loose threads.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved Allegiant. Haha. Can't really say anything else without any spoilers. It did have more heft than I expected. I absolutely agree with the writer's POV. :saint:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1394129099|3628724 said:

I felt the exact same way, MC. I actually didn't pick the series up again until after Allegiant came out this last year. But I went back a re-read Divergent and warmed up to it much more upon a second reading. I finished the series, and while it's not among my top 10 or anything, it was enjoyable and has some unexpected heft in the third book.

I am a little concerned about the movie; first there is always potential to just really mess it up (Percy Jackson, anyone?), but also because the only thing I have ever seen Shaliene Woodley in is that ABC Family show that is very melodramatic and I hope she won't be a whiny Tris.

I'm also concerned about the movie...basically, I've been really excited ever since seeing the previews way back when they first started showing in the theaters, but after reading the book, I'm starting to wonder if I should go see it first by myself (or w/just my younger son) before I bring my DH along. I may have hyped it up too much and if it's stupid, it'll be a colossal embarrassment or he'll then get me back with a guy movie that will end up driving me nuts! hahaha One thing I had wondered about was Tris describes herself as short so I googled Shaliene Woodley (whom I hadn't heard of until the movie) and saw she's 5' 8". That's kind of BS to short gals like me! lol If 5' 8" is short, then I'm a mini-person!

Anyway, we went to the used book store yesterday and I was going to grab Allegiant if they had it, but they didn't...not sure what to read among my to-read stack (which is actually random books scattered around the house! ahhh)

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1394168271|3629108 said:

I'm also concerned about the movie...basically, I've been really excited ever since seeing the previews way back when they first started showing in the theaters, but after reading the book, I'm starting to wonder if I should go see it first by myself (or w/just my younger son) before I bring my DH along. I may have hyped it up too much and if it's stupid, it'll be a colossal embarrassment or he'll then get me back with a guy movie that will end up driving me nuts! hahaha One thing I had wondered about was Tris describes herself as short so I googled Shaliene Woodley (whom I hadn't heard of until the movie) and saw she's 5' 8". That's kind of BS to short gals like me! lol If 5' 8" is short, then I'm a mini-person!

Anyway, we went to the used book store yesterday and I was going to grab Allegiant if they had it, but they didn't...not sure what to read among my to-read stack (which is actually random books scattered around the house! ahhh)

I'm super psyched for the movie - and if my hubby doesn't want to go, I'll take a gal pal! I read all three, which I've posted before. I read the first only because I must read a book before I see the movie - I won't do the reverse. I really liked Divergent! I've posted this before that after that, I didn't care for the other books as much, but having said that....I would really recommend reading them MC! I'm glad I read the whole series at once, and it was great to get lost with the characters for such a ride.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Currently I'm reading The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer - I really like it! Anyone else reading this?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Currently I'm reading The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer - I really like it! Anyone else reading this?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb thanks for recommending the Vanishing act. I put it on my list.

I would really love feedback on Vanishing Act from anyone on the forum who reads it or any other of Thomas Perry's books. I started out with the Jane Whitehead series, but I believe I have now read everything that he wrote. I even obtained a long out of print book he wrote because I wanted desperately to read it! I think he is an incredible novelist. I might not recommend every book of his, but I love the Jane Whitehead series and there are other books of his that I think are real gems, too. He has a gentle touch; he often portrays his "villains" as sympathetic human beings. They sometimes (although not in the Jane Whitehead series) become co-protagonists with the law-abiding citizens who are in pursuit of them.

Deb/AGBF

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just read through this thread and thank you for all the recommendations. I am adding lots of them to my kindle. Looking forward to good reading!
Here are some I recommend (what I can remember for now at least).

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

Lolita by Nabokov

Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden by John Steinbeck

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Never Let Me Go by kazoo ishiguro

Mutant Message Down Under Marlo Morgan

Into Thin Air, Into the Wild, Eiger Dreams by Krakauer

World According to Garp, Cider House Rules, Prayer for Owen Meany, One Year Widow by John Irving

Jennifer Weiner books

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1393628095|3624954 said:
bliss_cathy|1391734809|3609625 said:
BrittanyLovgonski|1391694175|3609184 said:
Just finished reading Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy

It's surreal but NOw I understand why others are so in love with Christian Grey.

Did you know it was based on fan fiction from a fan of twilight?

I haven't read Fifty Shades of Grey or Twilight, although I never had a reason not to read Twilight. No one ever told me I should read it, that's all.

I didn't want to read Fifty Shades of Grey, because to me, it sounded like a cheap ripoff of The Story of O. Has no one been comparing it to that? (I haven't followed closely. I just read about their contrived sado-masochistic relationship and thought: Story of O.)

AGBF

I thought the same thing - cheap rip-off. But I think The Story of O is too obscure a reference for most. Not sure if even Marquis de Sade is ever evoked.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1372056113|3471200 said:
I took a brief detour from the re-reading Jan Karon's Mitford series to catch up with the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith - I just finished the latest in that series, The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection. I think each of these series can best be described as "comfort" literature... fairly simple but well-written stories in which the plots almost secondary to the characters, and you can rest assured that good will triumph in the end.

I had never heard of Jan Karon or her Mitford series. I have now read At Home in Mitford and have already started the second book in the series, A Light in the Window. I am definitely hooked! I think that I can really rely on your taste, VRBeauty, you seem to be able to predict the books I am going to enjoy!

This thread has really been wonderful for me, as I have said before. I need to know about books before I want to read them...and the contributors to this thread really give wonderful information on the books that are discussed in it. What a blessing this thread has been! Thank you once again for starting it, aviastar!

Deb/AGBF

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
violet3|1394219578|3629430 said:
MC|1394168271|3629108 said:

I'm super psyched for the movie - and if my hubby doesn't want to go, I'll take a gal pal! I read all three, which I've posted before. I read the first only because I must read a book before I see the movie - I won't do the reverse. I really liked Divergent! I've posted this before that after that, I didn't care for the other books as much, but having said that....I would really recommend reading them MC! I'm glad I read the whole series at once, and it was great to get lost with the characters for such a ride.

Upon recommendation from my 11 year old son, I just read Divergent. He really enjoyed the book and said I had to read it. We give each other recommendations, as we both love fantasy fiction. He also highly recommends the Christopher Paolini series on the dragons, starting with Eragon. :) I love that he gives me recommendations.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I saw this I thought of dragonfly. I bet she would score extremely high on this quiz! My score was pitiful. It has made me decide to read Crime and Punishment, which I am long overdue on reading! (But first I must finish the Mitford series and read The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.)

Deb/AGBF

BBC Quiz...http://www.listchallenges.com/kaunismina-bbc-6-books-challenge

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1394917233|3634757 said:
When I saw this I thought of dragonfly. I bet she would score extremely high on this quiz! My score was pitiful. It has made me decide to read Crime and Punishment, which I am long overdue on reading! (But first I must finish the Mitford series and read The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.)

Deb/AGBF

Just took this quiz, and it turns out I read 56 on this list, and have maybe 5 more listed in my "to read" stack... I was so glad/surprised to see a Nevil Shute book (A Town Like Alice) on the list!

eta: big fan of the Mitford series, though I think I really prefer the first several books as opposed to the last couple.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1394921044|3634770 said:

Deb/AGBF

Just took this quiz, and it turns out I read 56 on this list, and have maybe 5 more listed in my "to read" stack... I was so glad/surprised to see a Nevil Shute book (A Town Like Alice) on the list!

eta: big fan of the Mitford series, though I think I really prefer the first several books as opposed to the last couple.

56 is wonderful. I got a mere 36! I think I was saved by having a prep school education and having read a lot of the old English classics in high school English classes. I certainly have not kept up with modern reading.

I am sorry to hear that the Mitford series is better at the beginning since I have only read the first three books so far and was hoping that the series would continue to be as wonderful as it has been thus far!

Deb
:wavey:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1394931240|3634861 said:

Deb/AGBF

56 is wonderful. I got a mere 36! I think I was saved by having a prep school education and having read a lot of the old English classics in high school English classes. I certainly have not kept up with modern reading.

I am sorry to hear that the Mitford series is better at the beginning since I have only read the first three books so far and was hoping that the series would continue to be as wonderful as it has been thus far!

Deb

Oops... I don't think I worded it the way I meant - the series overall is grand, beginning to end - I've re-read the whole set maybe 3 times now? To me, the Mitford books really have an original voice, and that definitely continues throughout the series. The first couple are my favorite more because some of the recurring characters are still children while in the last couple books they've grown up - but the quality of writing remains consistently high and the stories pleasurable, and I would never start the series without reading all of the books.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1394932796|3634881 said:
AGBF|1394931240|3634861 said:

Oops... I don't think I worded it the way I meant - the series overall is grand, beginning to end - I've re-read the whole set maybe 3 times now? To me, the Mitford books really have an original voice, and that definitely continues throughout the series. The first couple are my favorite more because some of the recurring characters are still children while in the last couple books they've grown up - but the quality of writing remains consistently high and the stories pleasurable, and I would never start the series without reading all of the books.

Thank you so much for posting more about your thoughts on the Mitford series, marymm. I actually bought the next three books in the series from Amazon and was waiting in a state of high excitation for them. (I had to grab just anything off my bookshelf to read after finishing the last book of the series that I had in my house and am, therefore, now reading a book called Murder and Marinara. My usual choice of reading materials tells you why I don't have a higher score on the BBC classics list!)

Thank you, thank you!

Deb

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb - I'm so glad you're enjoying my old friends, the Mitford books!

I scored a lowly 25 on the BBC quiz. In several cases I'd read other books by authors on the list - I think I should be allowed additional half-points for that! :wink2: I've been addicted to lighter literature for many years now but I think trying to balance the many things demanding my attention had a lot to do with that. Now that my life is a bit less hectic and I have more time, I am starting to think about reading some weightier books, and maybe even re-visiting some of the authors I was introduced to in high school.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What an exciting find! I like thrift store books too, but in my case it's largely because I don't mind passing them on sending them to another thrift store so much if I bought then for them for next to nothing. :oops: I just don't have that much space, so every now and again I purge my bookshelves of books that I probably wouldn't want to re-read. Some books I pass on and then end up checking out again from the library, or buying in a thrift store, because it turns out that I do want to re-visit them! :lol:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Deb/AGBF

AGBF, I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours. :cheeky: I've only read 11 of the books listed, but I'm okay with that. To be honest, I just don't care for most books that are considered classics. The majority of those from that list that I've read were way back in high school, over 20 years ago. I read them because I had to, but I don't think I got much out of them. There are exceptions, of course, and I did enjoy a few required books. I think it's interesting that a lot of required reading in high school these days are newer books by popular authors like Jodi Picoult. They're more relevant and kids can relate to the subject matter more.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've read 9 on the list. And a couple few of them I didn't care for at all, like The Bell Jar. The Lovely Bones I don't see as a classic...I'd've put A Separate Peace on there in place of that, personally.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results