shape
carat
color
clarity

A Bipolar Pairing? EC with Rose Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ndnyhagen

Rough_Rock
I''m appealing to you design experts for an opinion. I have a capricious dream of a simply set Emerald Cut solitaire set in platinum as my, hopefully soon to be, engagement ring. I am also completely enamored of Rose Cut diamonds. In my mind, these are both on the "glassy" side of the diamond cutting spectrum and should match well. Would you think there might be a good way to pair the 2 cuts for a one of a kind wedding set? Maybe EC solitaire flanked by Rose cuts and, maybe, an eternity band with all Rose Cuts or alternating Baguettes and Rose Cuts? Pondering this possibility has dragged me away from Olympics coverage. (Go Team USA!!!
9.gif
) Anxious to hear your opinions and design ideas!
13.gif

Thank you!

lornajs

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 8:37:01 PM
Author:ndnyhagen
I''m appealing to you design experts for an opinion. I have a capricious dream of a simply set Emerald Cut solitaire set in platinum as my, hopefully soon to be, engagement ring. I am also completely enamored of Rose Cut diamonds. In my mind, these are both on the ''glassy'' side of the diamond cutting spectrum and should match well. Would you think there might be a good way to pair the 2 cuts for a one of a kind wedding set? Maybe EC solitaire flanked by Rose cuts and, maybe, an eternity band with all Rose Cuts or alternating Baguettes and Rose Cuts? Pondering this possibility has dragged me away from Olympics coverage. (Go Team USA!!!
9.gif
) Anxious to hear your opinions and design ideas!
13.gif

Thank you!
sounds really interesting and different. seems to me would be a very unique eng ring - simple and quite modern in appeal, yet classic and therefore last a lifetime. what kind of proportions were u thinking of?

ndnyhagen

Rough_Rock
Lornajs,
Thanks for your reply. I kind of have my heart set on a 1.75 ct. to 1.99 ct. Emerald Step Cut solitaire. Should Rose Cuts work their way into this design, I would want them sizable enough to "show up" but moderate enough not to take anything away from the gorgeous EC. If it makes aesthetic sense to integrate Rose Cuts, I surely don''t want them mistaken for RB''s. (That would kind of defeat the uniqueness of this pairing, no?) Opinions, design ideas, anyone?
Thank you!
37.gif

lornajs

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 10:53:23 PM
Author: ndnyhagen
Lornajs,
Thanks for your reply. I kind of have my heart set on a 1.75 ct. to 1.99 ct. Emerald Step Cut solitaire. Should Rose Cuts work their way into this design, I would want them sizable enough to ''show up'' but moderate enough not to take anything away from the gorgeous EC. If it makes aesthetic sense to integrate Rose Cuts, I surely don''t want them mistaken for RB''s. (That would kind of defeat the uniqueness of this pairing, no?) Opinions, design ideas, anyone?
Thank you!
37.gif
Hi there. I replied to this already, but it didn''t "stick", so am doing it again (so if it turns up later twice, you''ll know why!). The more I think about the rose cut side stones, the more I like the idea. Really interesting, bold - yet classic.
If I can make a suggestion, how about getting your jeweller to do a mock-up for you? I went to a jeweller earlier this week, and she put the loose stones on a pre-existing setting (stoneless) to give me a feel for the look / proportions (she used blue tack! ha). It was really super helpful. To get your ring just right (and to confirm you design idea before you go ahead), I think it''s well worth the effort. It''ll also give you a chance to get a feel for the proportions of the side stones. Sometimes larger sized side stones can look fab! If you do a mock up with a couple of sizes, then you''ll know for sure what will work best for your design. Just a thought.... Good luck!
BTW, bought my 3 stone criss-cut ring today - being resized and I pick it up Tuesday. Can''t wait!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Solitaire EC and rose cut wedding band sounds great!
9.gif

Mixing these shapes in the same ring sounds a bit baffling... have you seen a ring with such combination that you liked?

The plan sounds very intriguing! hope the hints below might help
4.gif

Btw. what if there were some (non-rose cut) 'transparent' diamond sides next to the EC? I don't know how to call them or if this pair below is not just a fluke of history, but this is what I mean:

0143-00132_Pic.jpg

They surely are thin, flat and HUGE - LINK to source. The image of a EC ring with 'diamond wings' comes out of pairing these two with a unsuspecting EC at least as long as these are wide (8mm!)

Rose cut eternity band sounds allot safer:
12.gif

Of the sellers posting here, DimendScassi makes a single-row eternity band with rose cuts.
This one below... is something else.
Link to the one below.

RoseCutBand.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
H''eh... didn''t think I''d find this bit again, but here''s what a stone like those sides look like mounted.

The example (LINK) looks rather cool to me.
5.gif

DSCN7275.jpg

ndnyhagen

Rough_Rock
Ana,
Those fantasy cuts are beautiful. I had seen Dimend Scaasi''s single row Rose Cut eternity band. (That''s what actually got me to thinking....a very dangerous thing.
40.gif
) I had recently seen a Tiffany eternity band alternating baguettes with RB''s. A really pretty combination. I just can''t visualize what the Rose Cuts would look like in that equation. I am in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area. I have seen only 1 vendor in this area with a Rose Cut necklace on display. My jeweler seems to be convinced that Rose Cuts are just a fad. I''m wondering if anyone out there is integrating this unique cut into their designs. It''s truly an acquired taste. I wonder at the glassy/mirror effect of the EC''s and Rose Cuts side by side. (?) Hope this thread doesn''t die before more people weigh in.
37.gif

Thank you!

ndnyhagen

Rough_Rock
Can anyone one else help by weighing in on this one? I have put in a request, through my personal jeweler, for Emerlad Cuts on the square side. I think they might make a more aesthetically pleasing pairing for any Rose Cuts I might consider in an anniversary style wedding band. (I''m thinking 5 Rose Cuts on this band...)
33.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, here are my thoughts...

I LOVE rosecuts, and I LOVE ECs...but I''d be very hesitant to put the two together. Maybe a single row "pebbly" band like the one Ana posted next to a simple solitaire might be interesting...

I think...in general...that things are often "outside of the box" for a reason.

I tried to ''design'' a ring once, and I got exactly what I wanted. The problem was that what I wanted looked a lot better in my head than it did in real life!

If you do decide to take this route, I''d be sure the designer draws many detailed drawings of what he has in mind so that you know and really love what you''re getting. Custom designs like this can''t be returned...

Unfortunately your idea is so unusual, you can''t go to a jewelry store and try similar things on to see how you like them.

Just some of my random thoughts..

Good luck!
widget

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... are the rose cuts going on a band next to the EC ring, or will they be incorporated in the same ring? (not clear, to me...).

Having the rose cuts on a separate ring gives options.

Although I usually have no trouble making up impossible jewelry designs, I have a hell of a time picturing any cute combination of rose cuts and EC (let alone whatever lacy designs with tiny milimetric chips of rose cut diamonds - that doesn''t count, I suppose).

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Widget and Val about combining EC and Rose Cut in a ring, now making Diamonds By The Yard kind of chain with RC - that's another story.

They can be bigger, give that "airy" feel to bezel part and get reed of "culet" and flipping problems. Plus if they all are slightly different shapes - even better for me, Val ever seen one?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Word of caution: I couldn't make a popular design if I tried! It is fun though
2.gif

Hope you don't mind...

If I am thinking twice, there may be at least a few real ring designs pairing transparent gem slices (or rose cut diamonds) with faceted diamonds: some are a series of band rings with inserts by Scavia and another probably a small series of wide rings with emerald cut diamonds set on a band of very fine carved filigree by Buccellati. Both are rather funky fashion rings. beautiful, but surely nothing traditional by any stretch of the imagination. I could not find either in pictures online. The rings by Scavia were the inspiration for the thing below (well, hope you have a healthy sense of humor!... the originals are quite something).

rosestep.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2006 2:36:43 PM
Author: Pricescope

They can be bigger, give that ''airy'' feel to bezel part and get reed of ''culet'' and flipping problems. Plus if they all are slightly different shapes - even better for me, Val ever seen one?

Yeah... both online and off. These have been quite fashionable for a century or so!

Right now, there is an example on Karen Bleifer''s website. And the most beautiful example I have ever seen was a chain set with pearls and three doble rose cuts collet set. Not large, but well made and overall an amazing piece. It was sold in a auction here... no pictures.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: valeria101
I couldn''t make a popular design if I tried! It is fun though
2.gif
Not true, Ana!!!!

I think your photoshop morph is JUST FABULOUS!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Now I want a ring like that!!!

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 5:41:37 PM
Author: widget

Author: valeria101
I couldn''t make a popular design if I tried! It is fun though
2.gif
Not true, Ana!!!!

I think your photoshop morph is JUST FABULOUS!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Now I want a ring like that!!!

widget
Me too!!! That is awesome!!
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
gosh i love everything in here, ana that first one you posted is just fabulous! i want it!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Ana, your ring looks better than the original!! So pretty!!

ndnyhagen

Rough_Rock
Ana,
Thanks, as always for your insights and gorgeous artwork! Believe it or not, I am more of a traditionalist...but with a twist.
37.gif
What I''ll be discussing with my jeweler next weekend is a 1.75 to 1.99 ct EC solitaire in a platinum european setting similar to Mark Morrel''s. I''d like a 5-stone Rose Cut wedding band to nestle up next to my solitaire. As I''m hoping for an Emerald Cut on the square side, but not an asscher, I''m hoping that the Rose Cuts, roundish in shape, will compliment such an Emerald Cut.
I plan to wear the 2 rings together most of the time. That cool Rose Cut band will give me a little bit different option than my geometric solitaire to wear alone or when travelling. I appreciate all of your feedback. PLEASE keep it coming!
36.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are too good, ladies!
5.gif

The truth is... I like them odd, and it shows ...

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 2:36:43 PM
Author: Pricescope
I agree with Widget and Val about combining EC and Rose Cut in a ring, now making Diamonds By The Yard kind of chain with RC - that''s another story.

They can be bigger, give that ''airy'' feel to bezel part and get reed of ''culet'' and flipping problems. Plus if they all are slightly different shapes - even better for me, Val ever seen one?
I saw one of those in an estate jewelry case at my local jeweler!! It was AMAZING. The platinum links of the chain were almost shaped like paper cilps and it had lots of little bezel-set rose cuts. Gorgeous. I think it was from the 1920s.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2006 8:36:33 PM
Author: ndnyhagen

What I''ll be discussing with my jeweler next weekend is a 1.75 to 1.99 ct EC solitaire in a platinum european setting similar to Mark Morrel''s. I''d like a 5-stone Rose Cut wedding band to nestle up next to my solitaire.
Can''t wait!

These guys seem to have allot in common - EC and rose cuts. Even in a not so hot picture
38.gif

bipolar.JPG

ndnyhagen

Rough_Rock
Ana,
This combination is perfect! Now I need to get my boyfriend and jeweler on board.
28.gif
Thank you for your help putting these rings together. You are a master!
Best regards,
Nancy
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results