shape
carat
color
clarity

.91 vs. 1.01 size difference,please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bloodshot

Rough_Rock
Is there a noticable size difference between a .91 and 1.01 ct stone? Diameter of stones is 6.27 vs 6.47. Is that noticable???

ko

Rough_Rock
Hi Bloodshot
35.gif
No difference to the naked eye at all! The price difference is significant though.........

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
It depends on the set of eyes looking at them. But it''s been my experience that if you have diamonds of those sizes side-by-side most people can detect a difference. As the distance between the stones grows, fewer people can make the distinction.

Bill Scherlag

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Assuming they are both of the same cut quality, I think that''s definitely visible.

JD_MD

Rough_Rock
A tenth of a millimeter is definitely visible between a .90 vs. 1.01, but so is the differnce between a 1.27 and a 1.37 or a 1.56 and a 1.66. The question is, what's the goal?

If you want larger size for the same price, you can always go with with a lower color and/or clarity. If you don't mind paying $1500 more for the same color/clarity...go with the larger stone.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got from a vendor was the "two room test". My girlfriend and I were comparing 2 diamonds that were one color grade and 0.15 carats apart (2.27 and 2.42). When they were next to each other, we both swore we could tell the size and color difference if we looked closely at both stones. Once he randomly took each of the stones and placed each one in a separate room and had us look at them individually, neither of us had a clue which one was which.

My point is...once the stones are apart from each other, you won't even notice. Go with the one that catches your eye.

carrot

Rough_Rock
The difference in size between those two diamonds is not visually significant. But the price of a diamond just over a carat will be significantly greater than one just under a carat.

Buying shy of diamond weight break points (like 1.0 ct.) can save you a considerable amount of money without a visible difference. Further, making size your lowest priority will increase your ability to buy an exceptionally beautiful diamond, if you take the time to educate yourself first.

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/4/2005 11:33:41 AM
Author: JD_MD
A tenth of a millimeter is definitely visible between a .90 vs. 1.01, but so is the differnce between a 1.27 and a 1.37 or a 1.56 and a 1.66. The question is, what''s the goal?

If you want larger size for the same price, you can always go with with a lower color and/or clarity. If you don''t mind paying $1500 more for the same color/clarity...go with the larger stone.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got from a vendor was the ''two room test''. My girlfriend and I were comparing 2 diamonds that were one color grade and 0.15 carats apart (2.27 and 2.42). When they were next to each other, we both swore we could tell the size and color difference if we looked closely at both stones. Once he randomly took each of the stones and placed each one in a separate room and had us look at them individually, neither of us had a clue which one was which.

My point is...once the stones are apart from each other, you won''t even notice. Go with the one that catches your eye.

ditto to that!! I did the same test...couldnt tell.

JROC

Rough_Rock
I was looking for a diamond around the same sizes, I picked out 2 one was 1.05ct and the other was .93ct, I could hardly tell the difference and I have very good eyesight. Once it is the setting it is even more difficult to tell. However, the price difference was significant. They were both the same clarity and cut (roughly, H&A) but the color was two lower (F vs D on the .93) and the 1.05 was just about $2,500 more. So I went with the .93 and couldn''t be happier with my choice.

If she can''t tell the difference no one else will either, save yourself some money or put it into the setting, engagement vacation or the wedding/honeymoon.

Good luck.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
As the owner of a .97 carat stone, I say to go with the slightly smaller stone (I''m guessing the price difference is significant) and put the extra money to good use elsewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results