shape
carat
color
clarity

9 karat gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does 9 karat gold wear down in the same way 18 karat does? I know it would not be as quick due to the hardness of the alloys. However would it last for as long as platinum or does it wear out over say 10 years or so?

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Pyramid,
One of my workmates has a 9ct gold wedding set that she has worn everyday for nearly 30 years now. I had a close look at it a couple of weeks ago because she asked me to clean it in my US, and it looked in pretty good shape considering how much wear it has had.

I don't know if it would be as durable as platinum, but that set seems to be holding up well!

Jen

Manmountain

Rough_Rock
In the USA, FTC guidelines tell us not to even stamp a karat mark in metal of less than ten karat.

I have seen older pieces from Europe of eight and nine karat. They may quite possibly have been fairly old. I don''t know. They did seem to have an appropriate hardness for jewelry, but I would expect them to turn my flesh green. I have never tried it, just a suspicion.

A common quick test for gold is to file a small notch in an unnoticeable spot on the jewelry and then to add a drop of nitric acid. No reaction indicates 14K+, brown staining indicates 10K+ and green foaming indicates an object of less than 10K. Copper, brass and nickel react by foaming green. You will note than 18K and platinum do not react. From my experience with this test, I would expect 8-9K to corode away in time even if they don''t abraid away quickly.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to everyone.

Manmountain

In the United Kingdom 9 carat gold is the most frequently seen gold, there are 18 carat gold too and very few pieces usually just wedding rings of 22 carat. We do not see 14 carat at all like is seen in USA. We never had 10 carat, our 9 is your 10. I have found a link though stating that most 10 carat jewellery in USA is actually 9 and a half carat.

http://www.24carat.co.uk/hardnessofgoldalloysframe.html

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what they write on that site about 9 and 10 carat gold but the link does not seem to work it just takes me back to the main index page:

American Alloys
Theoretically, these should be the same as English or International standards, however as the USA is still, to the best of our knowledge, using a law about two centuries out of date, from when testing was not quite as accurate as today, American jewellers are allowed a half carat tolerance. Fairly naturally they take this tolerance and use it to legally supply sub-standard alloys, and this adds to their profits. Because of this, if an American jeweller wishes to promote his jewellery more honestly and accurately, it becomes necessary for them to indicate this in some way, so that they add the word "plumb" after the fineness. This in itself we find amusing, as it comes from the Latin word for lead, which is the last thing you would wish to find in a gold alloy!

What's Wrong With 9 or 10 Carat?

Nine carat gold only contains 37.5% gold, so there is more base metal than gold. It is not surprising therefore that, like copper, it tarnishes, turns green or black, and does the same for your skin and clothes. Its only advantage over 18 carat is cheapness.
It can also be brittle, and is not as durable as 18 carat.
Ten carat contains 41.7% gold , unless it's American ten carat, in which case it may legally be only 9 1/2 carat, and therefore contains only 39.5% gold. Whichever, it still isn't very much gold, and still more base metal than precious metal.
If you want to wear gold jewellery, don't let us stop you!, also if copper was so wonderful, why doesn't everybody want their jewellery made from it?
In our opinion, 9 and 10 carat alloys aren't real gold.
In case you still wish to buy 9 carat gold jewellery, you should visit our 9 Carat Gold Website.

Manmountain

Rough_Rock
American alloys changed in the seventies. That is the time when it became fashionable for manufacturers to mention their new plumb alloys. Previous to that a half karat tolerance was allowed. Thus large school ring manufacturers could save substantial funds by deliberatly selling 9 1/2 karat as ten. I suspect the the half karat tolerance was originally allowed to help small manufacturers in an area where current technologies didn''t allow for the truly accurate alloying and processing into jewelry. Today, the tolerance for unsoldered goods is 0.3%, and for soldered goods, 0.7%.

Ironic as the use of the word plumb is, I believe that it is a reference to being square. As a builder uses a plumb bob to keep his construction straight and true.

Manmountain

Rough_Rock
I forgot. When the stamp act happened in the seventies, there was the problem of old half karat tolerance jewelry. Stamping a P (for plumb)was the easiest way to differentiate old inventory from new.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Manmountain for this information.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results