shape
carat
color
clarity

7k budget + 5 business days left = mission from god :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tomcat_freak

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I''m so glad that I found this site before making huge (in)decision! Time isn''t exactly on my side as I need to get the hardware by early next week, but the materials found in this site have been very informative and helpful (a bit overwhelmed, I might add.. Hence the question..).

After doing some research one of the more attractive ones I''ve been offered by a local vendor is 1.28 carat, sI1, H, asking 6200 (claimed good or above cut). I still need to get a copy of GIA certificate to see the actual numbers, but assuming that it does have "good" cut then do you think the price is fairly reasonable?

thanks a bunch!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I'm fairly new here but without all the numbers (angles, depth, table) it's going to be hard to say whether that's a fair price or not.
You could pricescope your diamond above and search for similar diamonds in the same size and see how they fair.

Oops and welcome to PS!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey t_f
35.gif
welcome to ps!

i would be leary of this ''good'' cut and the price reflects that. unless the gia report is brand new, there won''t be enough information on it to really tell anything about the stone (unless it''s even worse than just good judging by the depth and table alone). if he has the capabilities of running a sarin on it, the information would prove helpful in judging cut quality. more than likely this is just a mediocre stone at an average price.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
What about something like this?
1.206 I/VS2 ACA Diamond 6526$ (Assuming you were looking for a RB).

Remember carat weight does not equal size...
You can get a stone from a vendor here in that amount of time. Do you know what sort of setting she wants?
A little more info and we can help ya out!
34.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Mat, that stone is
30.gif
!

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Let me add another vote for the stone that Matadora found.
I also want to back her up with the fact that you could have that stone from Whiteflash by the end of the week. If you want to go with a setting that they have in stock, you could have a fantastic complete ring by week''s end.

I''m not sure how much diamond research you have done, but ti is worth saying that I would never buy a diamond with a "good" cut. Cut is the most important "C" in the beauty of a diamond and a super ideal cut stone like the one from WF would be FAR superior to anything with a "good" cut.

good luck

tomcat_freak

Rough_Rock
Hello again,
1.gif

Thanks all for your feedback. I must say the stone that Matadora found looks so lovely!
30.gif
Probably what I'll do at this point is to check the local stone again with real #s, and if it does turn out to be just a "good" cut stone then I'll have to give whiteflash a call before getting too late. I take that whiteflash is pretty reputable eh? Didn't have any clue about AGS and H&A until today.. Will keep you guys posted -- Pls help this poor soul to get thru this.
9.gif

sluke

Shiny_Rock
Tomkat,

I''d help a friend a couple weeks ago to look for a diamond since she didn''t want to deal with the details, and she wanted it right away...the instant gratification. Had another friend call Whiteflash (where I got my ring) on her behalf, and Renee narrow three choices. She ended up with a I color, SI-1 from their Expert Selection (an almost H&A) 1+ carat which she is thrilled with. Since she picked a ring from their collection, the whole process took less than 2 days!

Good luck!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow, rounds are def not my thing but the stone Matatora found is SO gorgeous!! Why mess around with a "good" cut when you could have that one?
30.gif

tomcat_freak

Rough_Rock
Hey guys.. I''m back again.
1.gif

I really like this one, but the budget constraint has made me look into the ones priced slightly lower like (this and that)... Then, all of sudden, so-called "expert selections" are starting to look more attractive in terms of price-performance ratio, like this stone. Arrrgh, I can''t decide!!
32.gif
I suppose you can''t hardly tell a thing between 1.0 and 1.28 in terms of perceived size, huh (focus more on the quality of cut?)?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, at this point, I think the thing to do would be to call WF and have them pull all 4 stones, and talk to them.

E B

Ideal_Rock
TomCat,

There will be a size difference between a 1 and a 1.28...but it wouldn''t be HUGE. How about a middle of the road? H, SI1s are a lot of people''s "sweet spots". Mine included, though I have an "I" and I love it!

1.12 H, SI1 0.9 on the HCA, $6370

From the AGS report, this looks to be a ridiculously clean SI1.

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Yes WF is VERY VERY reputable and can have your stone and ring (if stocked) shipped to you ASAP. I just bought an expert selection 1.02 E SI2 that''s eye clean. If you''re looking at those, then call and ask them if they''re eye clean, they''ll be honest. They were with me! Good luck.

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Make sure to ask for the pricescope discount price and you''ll get a bit off the listed price. I''m not sure of the terms since I wired cash for mine. I got the $4900 stone for $4777. Here''s my eyeclean SI2:

WF diamond

Also they probably have this solitaire in stock and it''s beautiful and a good price:

sleek lines platinum setting

I love Whiteflash!! I''ve ordered 5 or 6 times from them, everything I have now is from them!!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
TK....

Call WF and have them pull those stones and give you their expert opinion. I had them do this for me a few months back and I am very happy with what we bought!

GL..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no question that you''ll get a better stone at a better price from one of these vendors. I am also glad I found this before buying. I like the stones Matatora and Ebree picked out a lot!

tomcat_freak

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your feedback! I''ve decided to go with this. It looks like this is the best choice I have in terms of getting good size and cut (though sacrificing a bit on clarity and color) while maintaining my budget..
5.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on choosing your stone! Is it eye-clean? How will it be mounted? I am so happy for you with a stone from WF you will have one heck of a sparkler!
36.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/1/2006 2:22:36 AM
Author: tomcat_freak
Hey guys.. I''m back again.
1.gif

I really like this one, but the budget constraint has made me look into the ones priced slightly lower like (this and that)... Then, all of sudden, so-called ''expert selections'' are starting to look more attractive in terms of price-performance ratio, like this stone. Arrrgh, I can''t decide!!
32.gif
I suppose you can''t hardly tell a thing between 1.0 and 1.28 in terms of perceived size, huh (focus more on the quality of cut?)?
The apparent size difference may be much less than you think. Here is a picture of a set of stones that Gary Holloway has put together for jewelers to show their clients. While these are CZ sets, the cutting is realistic to diamonds that are existant in stores around the world.

You can do further searches here to read about "edge to edge" light performance and how this causes stones to look larger than they are, (the reality is that it causes stones to look as large as they are) as the human eye does not like jagged edges and tends to round things down so that the edges look smooth, making it actually hard to see the outside edge of some diamonds.

I have other pictures that show this phenominum with genuine diamonds, but not as dramatically as this one. Gary has done a great service to jewelers who deal in quality cut stones by having these pairs cut. I think the photo speaks volumes about why cutting is important.

Wink

good-bad-cut-comparrisonw.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Tomkat--great choice. The WF ACA stones are beautiful.

Wink--love your photo that shows the cut differences. We should up that in the FAQ section to show newbies who don''t understand the difference on cut qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results