shape
carat
color
clarity

6-4 vs 6-6-2 Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

balljo

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I have another titanium question. I''m wondering how 6-4 titanium compares to 6-6-2 in terms of scratch resistance and wear and tear. I realize that they are both much harder than commercial grade titanium, but will 6-6-2 resist scratches more? Is it possible to use a jewelry polishing cloth to shine either one or does titanium jewelry in general have to be polished by a professional? You see I plan to go to the gym and lift weights with my ring on and not use workout gloves so I''m worried about the finish of the ring. Thanks for everybody''s feedback!

-jb

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
JB, there is a slight difference in hardness, but what you''ll find is that the things that can scratch titanium, like hardened steels or minerals are hard enough to scratch either. The weight bar will likely scratch it. You could pick a finish such as a Ballpeen or other rough look that doesn''t show abuse, or you could go with a brushed finish, which is easily buffed out with a ScotchBrite pad. The titanium is hard enough so it should not dent or ding or deform out of shape.

For polishing, you could get any scratches out with a fine sandpaper such as 400 grit and buff it with a small cotton buff on a Dremel tool. Use a polishing compound made for stainless steel. There are waxy or liquid ones that are available at places like automotive departments of big stores. The red rouge that jewelers use that''s made for gold isn''t very hard and won''t really polish it. A polishing cloth won''t do too much unless it is pretty close to a final polish to begin with.

balljo

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much. Amongst all the information I''ve read on all the internet sites I''ve visited, that is by far the most helpful. Thanks.

-jb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results