shape
carat
color
clarity

50th anniversary gift...ideas needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My FI''s parents are going to be celebrating their 50th anniversary in a couple of weeks and I have NO IDEA what to get them. It doesn''t help that my FI has no clue either. They''re kind of hard to shop for. They don''t like going out to eat so a gift certificate to a nice restaurant (which I would normally do for lack of a better idea) won''t work. They don''t make a fuss over anything, so I''m afraid that getting them a nice [insert idea here -- crystal??] something or other isn''t what they''d probably want. At first I thought of a nice crystal vase, candle sticks, or something along those lines would be a nice gift but they''re not really crystal types of people, if that makes any sense. I''d like to get them something really special but I have no idea what.

Any ideas of what to get those who are hard to shop for? I also thought of giving them a weekend away at a nice hotel but they''re homebodies. They don''t really like to travel.

I''m stumped.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm, what are their interests, hobbies etc?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interests and hobbies, let''s see...

His dad likes crossword puzzles and bird watching.

His mom likes politics and loves to read.

They both like sports (I think baseball, and the Red Sox, specifically and football).

Apparently, they both like Elvis and country music. I never knew about their love of Elvis. For some reason that makes me laugh. I don''t think they''re really up on current artists, although I know they like John Mayer.

His mom doesn''t work outside the home and his dad just retired from driving a truck.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Do they drink wine? A nice bottle of wine or champagne might be a good idea.

Also, how much are you looking to spend? If you have the money, what about getting them an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player? You said they don't like going out; do they like to cook? If not, what about something related to that?

ETA: Just saw your reply--maybe tickets to a sporting event?

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
since they don''t like to eat out, maybe you could have a nice dinner catered at their house? I think there are chefs that will come to you and cook. Or maybe making a scrapbook of their years together would be nice, with family photos and details about what happened the year they were married. Apart from these, I don''t know!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tickets to a game sounds like a good idea. Or a gift basket combining both of their interests.... That would be nice.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Ladypirate,

I think we were posting at the same time. They don''t drink so while I think wine is a lovely gift, we can''t do that. I just found out that the people in attendance are going to be just my FI and his 4 siblings and their significant others. I also just heard that apparently, the idea was to have, uh, chinese take out at his parents house. I suggested that we do a pot luck of sorts and all bring a dish and my FI''s going to talk to one of his sisters about that one. I think my idea of an anniversary party and his family''s are very different. Sigh.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe how sweet of you! I agree many tickets to a baseball game would be good. Or maybe something autographed. Or maybe a video slide show (like people do at weddings) with their photos, kids photos, grandkids, etc...like the story of their life together. I am sure your FI could sneak out some pictures (or have some of his own).

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Zoe, my in-laws are much the same. They are super frugal and just don't spend money. All their china is from my FIL's mother, and they just have Libby's glasses for wine. They would probably think anything like that was just frivolous. When they had their 50th anniversary, their daughter had a big party for them and got a whole bunch of friends from over the years to come to it and they loved that. However, not everyone loves a party, or maybe that isn't feasible for you.

If not, what about paying for them to go to a photographer and have a 50th wedding anniversary portrait done? Or if they wouldn't want to do that, what about getting your hands on their photos and having certain ones copied to put in an album or memory book "50 Years Together" or something like that? I can't think of anyone who has been together for 50 years and wouldn't enjoy seeing those years documented. ETA: ACK!!! I should have read more thoroughly and I'd have seen that Tacori had already thought of the memory angle. Sorry -- that was my best idea!! Tacori, we do think a like an awful lot of the time.
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents were going on a cruise for that anniversary, and I had a small silver photo album engraved with their names, wedding and anniversary dates to put the party pictures and cruise pictures in. For my in-laws, my husband and his sister and brother had a picture of the three of them taken and framed. That was not my idea (his sister''s) and I thought it was rotten not to include spouses and kids. The other thing was they made one of those CD''s that Tacori mentioned with pictures taken over the years. I really think people at that point in life don''t really want any more "stuff". So it does take some creative thinking to decide.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are all such great ideas! Thanks everyone! It''s so hard to think of ideas for any type of gift for them, let alone an extra special anniversary gift. I wish we had known about the party earlier but we just found out about it this morning. If I had more time, I could put together a scrapbook, photo album, or something similar. I think my FI is going to talk to one of his siblings about possibly arranging for a family photo to be taken. There''s a good chance this won''t be done until after the party, but if they decide to do it, at least it will give his parents something to look forward to.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no idea where they live, but what about tickets to Graceland, a hotel stay and plane fare/gas card to go there for a weekend? Flights are so cheap these days (depending on your area) that you could probably fly them there for around $500, max. Could be a great gift if everyone is willing to chip in (and you think they''d be excited about it)!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about buying one of those photoframes that will display like 100 digital pictures in an repeating slideshow (I know they have them at futureshop or bestbuy for around $150), and then try scanning some favourite family photos (maybe the whole family can help with the scanning part of it) and loading it up so they have a slideshow all year around? I know my grandparents, who are around the same age as your in-laws if anniversaries mean anything, would love something like that! Especially because they would think it was magic
2.gif
But maybe your in-laws are more technosavvy than my granparents!

DD
35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about someone coming over and cooking a gourmet dinner for them and fresh flowers along w/something else? How sweet of you Zoe!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Darn it...Tacori and Lumpkin beat me to it. Video collection of family photos starting with them as kiddos...set to music from the 50's. I would contact old friends for any old photos. There will be a time your family will treasure it...and I highly recommend it. Also please video the event. That is something else that is priceless-for your family.

Asking old friends for a card shower - the cards should be sent to your address...and you package all the enclosed (unopened) cards within a nice engraved personalized keepsake box. So when they open it there are photos from friends, mixed with the greeting cards and letters etc. Within the box I would include some music collections that they listened to back then. They will be able to read the cards in private when the gathering is over and return to them again with fondness.

Not sure if they still have their license...but you can contact the court house where of the city/county where they were married and get a copy for them...if it is lost. (be sure you aren't opening a can of worms...such as a fib as to when they were married. That can get sticky)

You can get an newspaper from the year of their marriage link. It is the original paper, just uncirculated. Lots of fun to read coffee for .35 cents a can...or .05 a cup. Cars for $3500 -a corvette in the late 50's was about $3500 to $6000 brand new etc. Homes for $35,000. They seem to enjoy that.

I love the family portrait idea. That is something you will wish you had done...trust me we lacked one year, and lost the opportunity. Previously, I did photo shop a photo for my inlaws. They didn't have a wedding photo...so I took two individual graduation portrait images altered the clothing and viola...she finally got a wedding portrait. The only time I have ever thought she really appreciated me...was when she saw that picture. She still doesn't believe a computer created it...swears someone took the photo without her knowing.

I think the knick knack paddy whack stuff is beyond it's use. 50 years they are set in their ways. We don't have half that time together and I sure wouldn't want a doo dad.

A grandfather clock/mantel clock engraved is a nice gesture. I have seen that done before. But it is bordering on doo dad.

Oh I had a friend who had a park bench made...engraved it...and installed 50 stepping stones to the bench. Sentimental ol lug. But now his mom who is now alone, spends her days there in good weather. I know...tear jerker.

Oh, this isn't actually a gift, but a fun party idea. You contact old friends, family and send them a questionnaire type thing. Have them fill out fun facts or memories. Then at the party your read these memories and ask the couple WHO wrote it...they will laugh when they remember and laugh when they have forgotten. 50 years is lot to remember...it is fun to rely on others to do the remembering for you. Calls can come in from friends at a certain window of time during the gathering...that is nice.

I think a gesture as such, is the best advice I can give you. Just shower them with creativity...as apposed of something contained in a wrapped box.

Please let us know what you do...it will be fun to learn what you decide. Congrats to your Hubby. What a gift to experience 50 years with his parents. Blessed he is beyond measure.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
How about a couples'' massage?
9.gif
11.gif

Kidding.

That''s a tough one Zoe. Do they like music? Tickets to a concert? A new sound system? A set of CD''s?

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
You have been given so many great ideas! And it sounds like your FI and his sibs may be thinking of the family photo at a later date. But something DKS said rings a sad bell for me... We wanted to do some photos for a 25th. Everyone was busy, it was hard to find common time, etc and we lost the chance - forever.

I was wondering about having a photographer come to their house for the anniversary dinner? (Even if it is chinese takeout) A local college might have some talented students who would jumpt at the chance to create a portfolio for themselves if money is a concern. You could have the photos done around the house - in front of the fireplace, around the dining room table, in the garden, wherever is special to them - maybe some clothing changes from dressed up to their around the house look. The photographer could also do some candids of the siblings, the individuall couples, etc and maybe put together an anniversary photobook.

This could also be something that all of the sibs want copies of for their own memories in the future.

I''m just elaborating on some of the fabulous ideas already presented. But I do want to say, please don''t let the time get away from doing something....

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooohhh, there are so many great suggestions! THANK YOU!! We got them a digital picture frame for Christmas. His mo opened it and had no idea what it was. We could gather together family pictures and put them in the frame -- I know that''s one idea I''ll go with. I''ll have to run your fab suggestions by my FI and see what he thinks. Oh and he says THANKS also!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
This is totally random, but they don''t have family roots from another country, do they? My grandparents are really hard to buy for also, but they LOVE it when my parents get them Polish sausage and random Polish baked goods from Polis family businesses in NYC, and have them shipped. It''s not fancy, but it''s personal to them, since both their families are from Poland and my grandfather''s brothers were actually born there!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Gwendolyn,

His family is from all over the place. French Canadian, English, and others... I''ll ask my FI about it and maybe he can think of something. Thanks!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
This might be a bit cheesey, but you could enlarge a photo of the two of them or the whole family and have it made into a jigsaw puzzle.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
i LUV the digital frame idea!

can you get your hands on some pics from their 50-years together? they can be scanned and uploaded onto the frame. what a sentimental slideshow!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
jmtomaui
35.gif
Hi there! Sorry to threadjack, but welcome to PS!!

I think your suggestion is really a great one! It could be used for all sorts of things. What about the day a baby is brought home or a birthday etc. Professional in home candid shots are less stressful than stuffy studio ones...and what a timeless forever gift. I think I may use it for a gift in the future! Thanks!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2008 8:29:19 PM
Author: lumpkin
ETA: ACK!!! I should have read more thoroughly and I''d have seen that Tacori had already thought of the memory angle. Sorry -- that was my best idea!! Tacori, we do think a like an awful lot of the time.
1.gif

Scary huh?!?
2.gif
3.gif

I like the digital frame idea too.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
http://www.clockway.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=C&Category_Code=anniv020

Zoe,

What about an Anniversary Clock ? Link to some pics above.

Hubby and I gave his parents one of these for their 50th and also
had it engraved. We gave them other gifts, but they loved this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results