shape
carat
color
clarity

$5000 dream setting... or upgrade stone?

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
oh so many choices.

I think spending 5k on a setting is fine if you love it. We had that earmarked but then went nutso show-me-the-ring/my-leon-mege-5-stone-cushion-t147609.html I do think that aiming for the center diamond that you will want if not forever at least for a very long time should come first though. You can start with a solitare, then get a nicer setting later.

Let me tell you though, in our case, we did not trade the original diamond or try to resell it simply for $$ reasons. We felt we would lose too much on it ( our original vendor went out of business so trade up policies are only as good as the company you buy from), so we are keeping it to work into another piece later on. So, you may want to keep your diamond, and reset it in a pendant, etc.

Again, so many choices.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh, thanks for all of the replies everyone! I am going to look through them all, this is really going to help my confused mind!

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck deciding. I'm sure whatever you choose will be beautiful and special to you!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I would upgrade first. After I had my forever stone, I would splurge on a killer setting.

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
ok, so after all of OUR opinions, what are you thinking?

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
tigian said:
I would upgrade first. After I had my forever stone, I would splurge on a killer setting.

me too :naughty: Good luck!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
upgrade the stone :!: :!:

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
There is no point into spending that much $$$ into a setting if you are thinking of upgrading.
After doing your due diligence, if the 5,000 is giving you the ultimate diamond you'll be wearing for the rest of your life, then go for it. And then save again for the setting.

If you plan to upgrade 3-5 times over an extended period of time to get to the diamond size you want, spending all this extra cash on settings is very counter productive. The setting for my 3 stone ring was well above $5,000 - and it is not hard at all to reach that either!
It is easy to slip money away into the jewelry circle... you really have to have a clear plan before you start spending.

In jewelry, I try to put aside my heart and let my head talk first. It took me 20+ years to save for my current ring. It would have been so easy to use that money for many different pieces throughout my life... Thank God my head reminded me that I needed to wait...

Good luck with your decision!!! :)

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Amethyste said:
There is no point into spending that much $$$ into a setting if you are thinking of upgrading.
After doing your due diligence, if the 5,000 is giving you the ultimate diamond you'll be wearing for the rest of your life, then go for it. And then save again for the setting.

If you plan to upgrade 3-5 times over an extended period of time to get to the diamond size you want, spending all this extra cash on settings is very counter productive. The setting for my 3 stone ring was well above $5,000 - and it is not hard at all to reach that either!
It is easy to slip money away into the jewelry circle... you really have to have a clear plan before you start spending.

In jewelry, I try to put aside my heart and let my head talk first. It took me 20+ years to save for my current ring. It would have been so easy to use that money for many different pieces throughout my life... Thank God my head reminded me that I needed to wait...

Good luck with your decision!!! :)

Wow Amethyste, definitely worth the wait. Good insight. You know, I don't really have a clear plan. I think that is why the thought of spending $5000 is freaking me out right now! I want to use it the best way possible. I was wishfully thinking the setting I wanted wasn't going to be that much. I have always felt that the stone is king and to put the $ there. But then I fell in love with Leon's work, it is truely amazing. I have had a "temporary" setting for over three years because I never found anything in the stores that I liked. That is what I was waiting for!

I am just really tired of looking at this setting, I feel like it doesn't do the stone any justice. I will try not to let that push me into a rash decision!

I think I am going to research what I could get stone- wise for $5000 and if it would be worth it. At least to put the issue at rest.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
vbnet said:
oh so many choices.

I think spending 5k on a setting is fine if you love it. We had that earmarked but then went nutso show-me-the-ring/my-leon-mege-5-stone-cushion-t147609.html I do think that aiming for the center diamond that you will want if not forever at least for a very long time should come first though. You can start with a solitare, then get a nicer setting later.

Let me tell you though, in our case, we did not trade the original diamond or try to resell it simply for $$ reasons. We felt we would lose too much on it ( our original vendor went out of business so trade up policies are only as good as the company you buy from), so we are keeping it to work into another piece later on. So, you may want to keep your diamond, and reset it in a pendant, etc.

Again, so many choices.

Beeee- U tiful! That is fabulous, thank you for posting it.

I wish I had a strong feeling one way or the other. I keep flip-flopping. I wonder if the reason I want to upgrade the stone, is just the setting it is in. If it had a beautiful home, maybe it could be my forever diamond. Right now this home really needs a new coat of paint or something! Its like, do I remodel the kitchen or wait and build an addition! :wacko:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results