shape
carat
color
clarity

5 Stone Setting - Strange Prongs??????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chris0229

Rough_Rock
With all the great help I got with the center stone purchase, I hope I can get a couple of opinions on the setting.

I was looking for a 5-stone setting - 2 sidestones on each side. I have 2 to choose from. Both have 0.20 ideals. But on one setting, the sidestones are each surrounded by four prongs. On the other, the sidestones are held by two prongs on either side of each stone.

Have I butchered the description? Maybe. If not, is there any reason not to go for the one where the sidestones are only held by 2 prongs.

chris0229

Rough_Rock
Ok, maybe the lack of replys means I wasn''t clear. Lemme try again.

The sidestones are held by a single prong on each side of the sidestone. So each sidestone is held by only 2 prongs.

I''m just worried about the sidestones falling out.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you are describing a shared prong verses a 4 prong. The 4 prong would technically be more secure but does show more metal. I prefer the look of a shared prong and if the ring is insured I wouldn''t worry too much about losing a stone. I''d get the one you like.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Are you talking about the common prong setting described at the bottom of this page?

I have no idea exactly how secure that type of setting is. I hear that weekends are pretty slow here, so hopefully tomorrow more people will be on who have answers to your questions.

chris0229

Rough_Rock

not the common prong setting which looks like:

0 : 0 : O : 0 : 0

but rather 0*0*O*0*0

just one prong between the sidestones

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ritani makes this one...they are a very well manufactured company and I''d trust the workmanship in one of their settings. I don''t know about the one you''ve seen. What does your jeweler say?

14QQ18.jpg

chris0229

Rough_Rock
I was clear with the jeweler that I preferred the fewer prongs, simply b/c i thought it would show more stone. But I was also clear that I didn''t want a ring that''s going to crap out and sling stones in a year. He said it wouldn''t - that it would be perfectly strong. So I went with the fewer prongs.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Then i wouldn''t worry about it
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results