shape
carat
color
clarity

5 Princess cuts - going to look today - thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bizgk

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I previously posted a topic about some of these princess cut diamonds, and the comments were great (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-which-is-best-princess-cut-diamond.24532/).. I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts before I go and look at them today in the store?

1.60 F VS1 71.3 73.0 VG G 6.58*6.45*4.6 (1.02) Medium to Thick
1.61 D VS1 71.0 72.0 G G 6.74*6.49*4.61 (1.04) Thin to Slightly Thick

1.58 F VS1 72.2 67.0 G VG 6.58*6.50*4.69 (1.01) Medium to Slightly Thick

1.70 F VS2 70.8 73.0 VG G 6.72-6.58*4.66 (1.02) Slightly Thick to Thick (faint fluorescence)

1.59 F VVS2 71.2 69.0 VG G 6.55*6.50*4.63 (1.01) Unknown right now

Also, any comments on how to best judge them? (My eye is anything but trained for this.)

Thanks again!

bizgk

Rough_Rock
Anyone? =)

realron75

Rough_Rock
Which is the table and which is the depth %? Do you have crown %? Personnally, I would step down to G color and save some money. I just bought a 1.44 carat G VS1 princess from Whiteflash, 66% table, 71% depth, 12% crown and its stunning. Can''t see a hint of color and much cheaper. Try to find a diamond just under 1.5 carats, you''ll save $$ and the size will look the same.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might want to take a look on the "Fancy Shapes" page under "Knowledge" on top of this page.

Those numbers sound "average" and there is no way to tell how brilliant the stones are based on them.

"Thick" girdle usually means a smaller looking stone. Same for deepts and these are all quite deep at 70% and more... But, almost all princess cuts are reatively small and relatively not too brilliant... If you want the shape, 'guess that's something to put up with.

Very few princess cuts get selected for good cut (meaning optimized proportions, size and brilliance) and they do come with some premium.

What stats do you have in mind ?

bizgk

Rough_Rock
Sorry, the first is the depth, the second is the table.

I understand about the large girdles affecting the size/proportions.. but I narrowed my search to those with a 6.5 x 6.5 or larger length/width.. you would be suprised (at least 1 was) how many are 6.1-6.2 on a side..

Also, lookin on the AGA chart (or whatever it is called) about depth/table.. the following one fits under the very best category (the crown, etc. might move it outside of that, but i don''t know that yet).

1.58 F VS1 72.2 67.0 G VG 6.58*6.50*4.69 (1.01) Medium to Slightly Thick

This one also seems to rank up there..

1.59 F VVS2 71.2 69.0 VG G 6.55*6.50*4.63 (1.01) Unknown right now

Can you explain what you mean by the numbers not being that great? Everything I have read seems to indicate that these (or at least the first) are about as good as it gets. For example, the depth is between 64-75.. the table is between 62-68.. (see the chart at http://www.gemappraisers.com/chartFrameset.htm). And I have also read that the table should be a few % less than depth.. all this seems to be there.. so I am a little confused.

Thanks!

Thanks,
George

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2005 11:58:43 AM
Author: bizgk

Can you explain what you mean by the numbers not being that great?
Well... AGS has been researching a cut grading system for princess cuts that would predict brilliance (same as the AGS0 cut grade does for rounds). They decided that two crown angles and two pavilion angles were critical details to predict how bright the princess cuts are.

As far as I know, the AGA charts did not consider such detailed information not because it is not useful, but because standard lab report do not help with it at all. In the current form, the charts deal with durability and proportions (size/weight, shape...) issues, but not brilliance. David Atlas of Gemappraisers explains this in an article posted in Pricescope''s "Diamond Jourbal" (see front page).

The AGS cut grades for princesses have not been released yet, but a preliminary version is out and has been discussed a bit around here. Paul Sledgers wrote about this in... yet another journal article.

It may be that brilliance does not matter to you. If so, table & depth & size are perfectly sufficient to describe cut. I have no reason to believe these two princess cuts are not desirable, from this point of view
34.gif

This is what I meant... hope some makes sense. Just my 0.2, of course.
1.gif

bizgk

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for the comments. Actually, brilliance is the most important thing to me (hence, I have been selecting based on what I have read are the most desirable dimensions in order to achieve brilliance).

Can you point me in the right direction (what is the post, or where is the article) if the numbers I am looking at are not going to provide the most possible brilliance in a princess cut? Anything you can provide would be great.

I appreciate your insight!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results