shape
carat
color
clarity

5.58 Carats Garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shiuri

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching high and low for a garnet ring and I think I may have finally found it! It's a 5.58 carats in a vintage setting. The ring is in a size 7 which is perfect to wear on my middle finger. But I'm debating if I should wear it on my ring finger which in that case, I would need to get it resized to a 6. I would say I have average hands, average length fingers though it may be leaning towards the shortish side. So a tad worried that the 5.58 carats on my ring finger might look overwhelming. I have tried on a 4ish carat cocktail ring on my ring finger and another in 7ish carat for comparison. The 4ish carat looked just big enough on the finger, any bigger would swallow up my finger. And the 7ish one looked too big which I ended up wearing on my middle finger. Since I've haven't tried on anything else between 5 and 6 carats, I can't decide which finger to put it on. Anyone here have had a similar situation before? Help please!

P.S. Sorry for the spelling on the title! I meant Garnet not Granite! OOOPS!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My take on it is that going down just one size won''t really change the look/proportions of the ring compared to your finger. I personally have so few rings that fit on my middle finger that I might keep it as is, especially since it''s already that size. It seems like the vintage/cocktail ring look would serve well as a middle finger ring.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi shiuri, I think it''s difficult to help without a picture - the setting could make all the difference you see..

At least a description?

shiuri

Rough_Rock
Hi there!

Thanks for the replies! I should''ve attached photos! Sorry about that. Here they are are! Thanks again for the help! =)

shigarnet.jpg

shiuri

Rough_Rock
Here''s another photo.

shigarnet2.jpg

shiuri

Rough_Rock
A photo of the profile. =)

shigarnet3.jpg

shiuri

Rough_Rock
Here is some additional info on the ring if that helps:

Ring Measurements: 16mm (W) x 7mm (D)
Weight: 4.9g
Stone: Pyrope Garnet
Garnet Measurement: 10.73mm in diameter
Cut: Round Checker-board
Carat Weight: 5.58cts

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the images, I like the setting style.

You sound like you have similar size hands/fingers to myself - if it were me,
I would be wearing this ring on the middle finger.

But it really just depends - do you already have rings you like to wear on your right middle or ring finger? (I'm assuming this is for a Right hand ring)..

One thing I'll note - the images look like the ring is from Fay Cullen, is that correct?
Just fyi, there have been customer service issues with this company - you may want to do a PS search so you can make an informed decision.
I'm not suggesting you don't purchase from them, just thought should say something
1.gif

(oh, and if I'm wrong and its not FC, sorry and just ignore me, lol)!

dancingflame

Shiny_Rock
I''d keep it for the middle finger. Just mw two cents. I don''t have any rings that I can wear on my middle finger but I''m going to get to work on that soon.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a lovely ring, and I think wearing it as a middle finger ring is spectacular! And I don''t think it will be overwhelming in size...those pieces are suppose to make a statement!!!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''d be inclined to wear it as a middle finger ring, but I think only you will know once it''s to you and on your hand. But, what a beautiful ring. I love it!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
keep it for the middle finger. i wear really HUGE rings on the middle three fingers of my right hand....and i think my hand is smaller than yours.

this ring will be stunning as a middle finger ring....much more so there than the alternative finger.

mz

ps i''m rather weird in that i wear a ring on the finger it fits....i never resize. if a ring doesn''t fit any of my fingers, i don''t buy it. there is something about the "wholeness of the creation" that i don''t want to disturb.

trishy

Shiny_Rock
that is gorgeous!! i love the setting and the stone is awesome
4.gif
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can wear this only any finger. The setting is very pretty and fits the garnet well. I have a size 4.5 ring finger and wear my 5 ct spessartite (halo setting) on that finger with no issues.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring. I''d say if it fits on your middle finger now try it out and if you don''t like it get it made smaller.

shiuri

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for all your replies and feedbacks. Yes, this ring is for my right hand. I do wear big rings on my middle finger, but usually those rings are giant! So when I came across this ring and it''s in between, I couldn''t make up my mind! I''ve been searching for garnet ring for sooooo long! It''s my birth stone too! =)

arjunajane -- Yes the ring is from FC! Thanks for giving me a heads up on their CS issues! That''s actually really good to know. Well, now that I have that knowledge if I do end up buying the ring, I''ll just take it as is to prevent delays or complications. Maybe it was meant to be a middle finger ring! =)

Thanks again everyone! You''re all so sweet!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
very pretty.

shiuri

Rough_Rock
Omg....I just did a search on FC as arjunajane has made me aware of the customer service people have experienced with them. I am a little iffy about buying anything from them now.

Can anyone recommend or suggest a jeweler where they may have vintage/antique style garnet rings similar to the one I posted on this thread?

Thanks!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2009 2:22:30 AM
Author: shiuri
Omg....I just did a search on FC as arjunajane has made me aware of the customer service people have experienced with them. I am a little iffy about buying anything from them now.

Can anyone recommend or suggest a jeweler where they may have vintage/antique style garnet rings similar to the one I posted on this thread?

Thanks!

Hi shiuri,
I''m sorry I didn''t mean to put you off your purchase! But I feel a duty to say something, as I personally wouldn''t use them due to what I''ve read here..
I''m sure there are also many happy customers - but it is disturbing the way they treat unhappy ones
40.gif

I''m sorry I don''t know of any stores to buy this kind of ring as I''ve never looked for something similar - but I''ll give you a bump so hopefully someone can help
2.gif

You could try hunting around Ebay for an authentic or repro, and then replace the stone if it doesn''t come with a garnet to your liking?

shiuri

Rough_Rock
Hi arjunajane,

Oh no not at all. Don''t be sorry. I''m glad that you brought it to my attention. These are things that we should be aware about or have knowledge of. Now that I know....I will keep them as an open option and try to shop around some more to see what else I come across. Thanks for the bump!
21.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
The ring is lovely.

freefly

Shiny_Rock
I love the style of that ring, and garnets are my birthstone.... Maybe you can find another vendor that does vintage style settings like Singlestone to make a ring like that? I think it would look great with a rose cut garnet.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results