shape
carat
color
clarity

4ctw diamond earings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

satelite

Rough_Rock
Hi I''ve written before regarding purchase of a diamond to match my 2.06 I SI1 good cut ring.
I plan to make a pair of earings and have been given the choice between a 2.06 I SI1 very good cut
and a 2.06 J SI1 good cut. The J is obviously around US$3000 cheaper than the I colour but my concern
is not the cost but whether a very good cut would look too flashy against just a good cut of the existing diamond.
I don''t think the J colour would look any different to the existing I but would appreciate any opinions either
way.
Of course my heart goes for the better cut as I have now been educated on this important factor in purchasing
a diamond and don''t want to spend good money after bad - but also I don''t want a mismatching pair of earings.

Cheers
Vinka

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Match the color, I would say - if there is a color difference that is the first thing people would notice.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless the seller has seen your diamond, this is some sort of blind matching... since there is no standard for the cut quality steps you mention. It just depends on whether the stones are judged on the same scale and if that is accurate enough for the sort of subtle evaluation you mention.

I am assuming that neither you not the seller of the matching stone have seen the two diamonds side by side as yet. If this is not the case...

Between I and J there may be no visible difference of color - or some subtle one. The grades are a continuum after all, and even the grading labs themselves would not claim they can grade color with more than half grade accuracy - meaning some Is may turn ''J'' upon regrading and the other way around. Between the ''whitest'' I and ''darkest'' J... side by side should be some difference. On the two sides of the head.. oh well. Anyway, these being said, I would still match them just because
28.gif

Any chance you could inspect these together before making a decision? Sending the diamond to the jeweler for matching is another way - but how could that be organized remotely remains between you and the show. No idea
38.gif

Random 2c worth
34.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
This is a significant purchase and you will want earrings that large to be well cut and well matched. If it were me I wouldn''t buy a second stone without being able to see it next to the stone you already own.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think the color difference of side by side colors will be noticable, assuming the grades are accurate. Your head will provide some separation when you are wearing them. That said, I think it would be best if you could see them side by side. You want them to match more or less in mm of diameter more than just carat weight. And, at that size, basic cut differences may make the stones look different. Does your vendor have a good return policy? I think your best bet is to do the visual inspection rather than rely just on specs.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
First I would like to comment that it is amazing how much difference I see in earrings between the two stones, and how often even the owners don''t realize it while the stones are in fact side by side in the earring display box. Even less visual difference is perceived when the earrings are on. I had one client tell me that she had accidentally worn one of her half carat earrings and one of her 3/4 ct earrings at the same time and that many people commented on how nice her earrings looked that evening. It was not until she got home and took them off that she realized what she had done. Apparently the difference was just enough to make people comment on how nice they looked, without realizing that they were different sizes...

Second I would like to comment that most of us internet types are at least a little bit obsessive and that having things be the best that they can be is important to us. This being true I would definitely recommend that you send your existing diamond to your vendor of choice and have him measure and match as close as possible the diamond that you already have. That will be the best way to get a good match.

Wink

satelite

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your good advise. The vendor has rung this morning to say he has both stones. Both GIA Cert and the J
is very high end. He has them until the end of the week so I will go in over the next few days to inspect. He has seen my
diamond in the past and thinks they would both be a good match but I will check against them with mine. He said the colour
difference between the two stones was indistinguishable.
I will let you know how I go. I also have another vendor in Hong Kong at the moment looking for a stone for me too. He has
seen my diamond but obviously doesn''t have it with him. He seems confident of being able to match it with the dimensions
he has.
Vinka

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I am looking forward to seeing a picture of the end result when you finally make your choice! Sounds like you have some nice stones to choose from. Keep us posted!

satelite

Rough_Rock
emsmile.gif
very exciting. Been waiting to buy this stone for ages.
Was originally going to go for plain studs. Yeah right. Then Valeria posted a Leon Mege earing
and also www.karenbleifer.com. which has some superb earings.

Will either go with a stud with small diamonds around claws and base of basket or a halo of
diamonds around the top.

CHeers
Vinka

satelite

Rough_Rock
Went to the vendor this morning to check out the two diamonds he had on offer. The J SI1 was a lovely stone but
when I put it next to my I and their I and we mixed them all up I still picked out the J as the different stone.
That left their I. It was a beautiful stone. Great proportions but had a crystal right in the middle of the table. It was
a GIA cert dated mid 2004 so I wondered if that was why it hadn''t sold. I told the vendor that I couldn''t cope with
the mark on the table even if no one would notice it in my ear. I would know it was there and if I ever wanted to resell
the earings it could be problem.
So back to the drawing board.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry neither one was a match, but I''m glad that you are holding out for the perfect stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results