shape
carat
color
clarity

$47,000 for a 1 ct Tiffany diamond?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dandoboy

Rough_Rock
I was just browsing the Tiffany website for kicks yesterday, and they have added a Canadian site with Canadian prices now. What I can''t get over is the price range they give for a 1 carat stone. Knowing they label all stones as "Tiffany-cut" and refuse to differentiate them as Ideal, Very Good, etc, the only two variables left to affect price are colour and clarity. I was told once that Tiffany rings start at about $12,000 and go up to around $25,000 approaching D,IF. How is this price range justifyable then?

***Quote directly from the Canadian Tiffany website***

"A Tiffany one-carat diamond engagement ring will be priced from approximately CDN$12,600 to CDN$46,700."

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
1 Canadian dollar = 0.835561 U.S. dollars

Therefore CDN$47,000.00 = US$39,271.00 and CDN$12,600.00 = US$10,528.00

This is all still a lot for a 1 carat diamond, but you are really paying for the Tiffany name.

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
I believe that sounds about right. Maybe a little high, but overall accurate. I was looking at their Web site a while ago and it said a Tiffany-quality one-carat engagement ring runs from approximately $9k to $30-something k. That''s crazy!

JD_MD

Rough_Rock
A quick check on Blue Nile shows most ideal cut GIA Ex/Ex or AGS0 D color IF diamonds are in the $18-$21K range. Add 20% because it comes in the famous "Blue Box" and there you go...$25K.

The price range is justifiable because of the laws of supply and demand....there are people who are willing to pay $25K for a 1ct D IF from Tiffany so therefore by economic definition, $25K is the market price.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Before I became unsure that I wanted a solitatire I spent a lot of time drooling the Tiffany web site. The local Tiffany''s (Short Hills mall) told me that the one carat rings start at 8000$.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
My BF and I were in Tiffany''s over the weekend. We looked at a 2 carat RB solitaire. It was priced at $59,000...

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
When I went to Tiffany with a friend, we looked at a one carat a while ago and it was like 10 or11k, which seemed to fall into what i figured it would be for a tiffany ring of that size.

Their site says: "Tiffany diamond engagement rings are offered from just over $1000 to over $1000000. A Tiffany one-carat diamond engagement ring will be priced from approximately $9500 to $35300."

Since that is a general statement on their rings, and not just about the solitaire, I'm assuming that might include a one carat legacy, because I know those were super pricey, but have those gorgeous settings.

ETA: The prices I was quoting are all USD

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I thought 40,000USD sound high...geez. Hmm I wonder if they discount things for you a wee bit if you shop their often enough. Perhaps I will have to go to Short Hills again before I go back to Alabama...Dective KK at work!

blake

Rough_Rock
Retail prices in Canada for diamonds and jewellery have the hidden 8% luxury/excise tax (used to be 10%) built-in. I suspect the Canadian Tiffany prices are simply US prices converted to Canadian dollars plus this luxury tax. With some Canadian brokers/stores, Americans can pay in US dollars and don''t have to pay the luxury tax, PST and GST.

SVRider

Rough_Rock
I''ve been lurking here for about a month getting a very good working knowledge of diamonds (Thank You Pricescope!
2.gif
) and I am so glad did. This past weekend some friends and I were at the mall and we took a very quick stroll through Tiffany''s to see what they had for engagement rings since I hope to be buying a ring soon. I can say I wasn''t to wow''d by their selection, it could have been because they were remodeling but they only had about a 1/4 of a display case for engagement rings
40.gif
. I kinda eavesdropped on their sales guy running his pitch to a couple lookin at rings. I heard something like "Well this ring is a VS clarity and this is the lowest clarity setting we carry, this is one class above SI and SI means you can see the inclusions with your naked eye". While I understand this can be possible with SI1 or 2 depending on what type of inclusion it is, I just thought he was undercutting stones that could be very nice and giving these people false information. I''m so happy I''m less uneducated
41.gif
9.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
SVRider, i wonder if we were in the same store? the tiffany''s i was in was remodeling too.

SVRider

Rough_Rock
This one was at the Somerset mall in Troy, Michigan. How about yours?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Galleria in Houston, TX. guess tiffany''s is just doing an overhaul??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results