shape
carat
color
clarity

4 prong/6 prong debate - size of diamond matter?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CountryBoy

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,

I recenty purchased an ACA 1.73 carat round brilliant diamond and had a custom made platinum setting made for it. I''ve had both the setting and loose diamond for a while, and am just now getting ready to have it set. Today I spoke with a very reputable diamond setter on the phone and described what I had. She seemed somewhat alarmed that I had a four prong setting for "such a large diamond" (her words, not mine) and said she would have suggested a six prong setting instead. When I asked her if I should change to a six prong setting, she said "considering that you have platinum, if the four prongs are thick you will be ok, otherwise I suggest you change to a six prong setting." She told me she would inspect the setting when I bring it to her and then advise me.

I''ve read a lot here on the 4 prong vs.6 prong debate. Folks that like the 4 prong seem to do so because there is less metal and it shows more diamond. Folks who like the 6 prong seem to do so because it is more secure and makes the diamond look more round.

Despite reading a lot about the debate, I''ve never read where the size of the diamond is a determining factor. I don''t view a 1.73 as being overly large, so the size of the diamond never factored in my decision to get a 4 prong setting.
23.gif
Now I am not sure, and figured I would ask you folks while I still have the chance to have the head on the setting changed.
31.gif

I''d appreciate any thoughts any of you might have. Thanks.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are folks on here with bigger stones than that in 4 prong settings and have not had any problems.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My center stone is 2.36 and is set with 4 prongs. I for one am not a huge fan of 6 prongs, as the less metal the better for me.
2.gif
As long as you have the ring checked every 6 months or so you should be fine.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Like Kaleigh said, just have the prongs and ring checked every six months, get insurance for it, and then don''t worry about it!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I too have questioned this idea - that above 1 ct (that''s what I heard from a lot of jewelers when I was engaged) you must have 6 prongs for the safety of the diamond. But the more I''ve seen and learned, as the others said above, LOTS of folks have >1ct diamonds with 4 prongs, and no problem. Also I see tons of antique rings with large stones in 4 prongs -with original diamond. Somehow they survived. A man at a jewelry store this year told me that when people come in for insurance replacements because they lost their diamond, more often than not it was in 6 prong. I too much prefer the look of 4 prong, so my thought is now, stick with 4 prong! Just make sure to have it checked every so often by a jeweler that they''re not getting loose, which I''ve heard you should do with 6 prong too anyway.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well....i think if you go with a 4 prong,make sure it''s heavy duty.if you go 6 prongs,you can go with thinner prongs and see more diamond.

btw; 4 prong settings look more square.6 prongs look more round.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Having had a six prong diamond solitaire before I definitely think you should put the diamond in a four prong setting! The diamond will look absolutely gorgeous because it showcases the diamond more. If the diamond is set correctly you should not have any safety problems.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I have 2ct in 4 prong platinum. If it is set correctly it will be very secure.

With my 1.5 I had an accident where my stone was chipped. The 4 prong setting was still extremly tight - even after the damage. I don''t feel that a correctly set 4 prong will loose hold of a diamond. But people do like 6 for safetly. I do think you should consider smaller prongs for a 6 prong.. so it looks nice..!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some might say that if the diamond were 4c then maybe it should be in a 6 pronger...some people just feel that ALL diamonds should be in 6 prongs due to previous accidents etc etc. Laney I love how are you are still open to having 4 prongs and don''t let your past experience color you!!
2.gif

That said I think you are fine. My stone is a 1.60 in a 4 prong and it doesn''t seem overly exposed. My next jump will be to ~2.25 and I am toying with the idea of doing 6 prongs just because I may be ready for a change for a look for a while? I am not sure. One of the things I love about 4 prongs is the unobtrusiveness of the metal if the prongs are thin/shaved down. I''m not a fan of thick prongs.

Anyway, I think everyone will have their two cents but I say get it insured and just don''t worry about it! Laney''s story is an excellent example of how something horrible can happen to a diamond (any diamond not in a bezel maybe!) but it all works out in the end (with insurance..hee!).

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2005 12:57:18 PM
Author: Mara

Anyway, I think everyone will have their two cents but I say get it insured and just don''t worry about it!
Ditto. Prong security relates to loss prevention, but if you have insurance, no worries.

Wear what you/she likes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results