shape
carat
color
clarity

4 or 6 prong with this ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lucky10

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I am getting CLOSER to finally being able to pop the question. I have selected the center stone (an amazing 1.6 ct G from WF) and I now have my absolute favorite designer (MWM) working on a setting that will be based off the one below (see link), but with a few tweaks to better accomodate the stone on her petite fingers and allow for a flush-sitting wedding band:
http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/engagement_other_ring.asp?ring=solitairediaband&

Now to the question. 6-prong settings are very uncommon in the area where I live and my girlfriend has never seen a 6-prong setting in person. She doesn't know I am designing a ring or planning to propose. I have seen 6-prongs in person (only a Mark Morrell and this Tiffany's setting, so I've been spoiled) and I really liked them. However, I've heard others say that the extra prongs cover the center stone a little too much and possibly take away from the overall appearance. My girlfriend is 27, a ring-size 4.5-5, and the ring itself is approx 3mm.

So I am asking a favor, particularly of some of you newly-engaged or newlywed women. Have you seen/tried on both? If so, which do you think would look best with this particular setting?

Also any additional feedback would be more than welcome!!

Thanks in advance!!

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for 6 prongs - with a stone the size of yours, you don''t have to worry about the extra prongs covering it.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for 6. I have had both 4 and 6. My preference is for 6 because I think it accentuates the roundness of the stone. Safety is also a factor. If the prongs are made right you''ll hardly notice them.If you do a search on this topic you''ll find an extensive debate on this very subject. Good luck, It is a beautiful ring!

lucky10

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link to the other thread, Dancing. I took a look through it and there is lots of great thoughts shared!

I''m still hoping for everyone to share their thoughts for this particular setting and stone size, which I can see people already are (so THANKS!!)

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
With your size, Lucky, I''d have to go with a 6 prong. I like 4, but its a security thing over a carat.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definately 6. I much prefer the look of 6 prongs, and particularly with a stone that size you can get away with it. Also, to me a 6 prong settnig just looks so much more substantial than a 4 prong setting. JMHO.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 6 prong solitaire and love it... i actually never knew 6 prongs existed until i found my setting. All the women i know/knew had 4 prong settings. I like the security and that it makes my stone look round and not square like some 4 prongs settings can do. My stone is only .75ct and do not think the prongs over whelm, so at 1.6ct i wouldnt hesitate at all!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I have had both and I prefer 4 prong. I like how it shows more of the diamond. Just have it checked for security every 6 months and you''ll be fine.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a personal choice. 6 prongs definitely show up the roundness of the diamond more, 4 can make it look a little less round, personally for security and aesthetics I prefer 6, but many here have fab rings with 4 prongs and have had no problems and are very happy with them. So go with what you think your GF would prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results