shape
carat
color
clarity

4.7 blue spinel update-LD, TL, JOHN G, FREKECHILD, others...

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
when i posted the 4.7 blue spinel, ceylon on 20 jan 11, i stated facts i had about the stone-good cut, color, proposed untreated state of stone & price paid-got lots of stuff mostly negative saying color wrong, big window, bubbles within & more-send stone back for refund & u can do better-i feel i was prejudged a little on the negative from pics i supplied & info posted-i had stone appraised twice-1st appr. was as suspected low & negative as usual with this appr with gemstones, 2nd appr. was as i hoped for-good color, cut, clairity, treatment-stone then went to gia & the good was verified-my advise to all is to b a little more open when viewing stones on these crappy devices called pc's-in most cases there not much better than high priced toys with average pic rendition-a compromise at best up to opinions of all who view & comment on screen content not actual material-i ask that those who comment take into consideration the limited view of most items shown on screen-i feel better after a small venting & mooning the pc-no pics of the event but was caught by my wife in a compromising position as i finished the event-will keep in touch & post at times-steve... :naughty:

610.jpg

600.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 4.7 blue spinel update-LD, TL, JOHN G, FREKECHILD, other

Does your Gemologist use the GIA color coding system because "very good saturation" and "deep cobalt blue" color are very subjective. What does evenness of clarity mean? I know evenness of color, but "eveness of clarity??" If he can match up the color to gemewizard or an existing GIA color code set, that would be preferable. In the end, his opinion is an opinion. The GIA report states it's natural and dark blue. Glad you got a GIA report though.

Your gemologist uses phrases that really don't tell you anything scientifically based about the stone. He just uses flowery terminology and it's very subjective. I would find another gemologist that can id the stone conservatively based on the GIA gemset, and give more realistic values.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock

TL-some of the appr. do use the gia #'s, the 1st appr.did use the gia numbers but again his opinion was a little different as he is not really interested in colored stones, evenness might refer to not blotchy or hot spots overall clean & even color-steve...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm also glad you got a GIA report but I am highly suspect at the value put on the stone by the appraiser. Appraiser very often over-inflate prices for replacement or insurance purposes. Spinels of that size in a dark blue can be purchased for way under the amount you've had your stone appraised for. As TL said "cobalt blue" is a term that it's suprising to see the Appraiser using considering this isn't a Cobalt Spinel. If you look at the $ amount that the appraiser has used for the setting, considering it's 14k yellow gold, that's a lot to pay for such a simple (I'm not being derogatory when I use that word) setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m76steve|1299422922|2865972 said:
TL-some of the appr. do use the gia #'s, the 1st appr.did use the gia numbers but again his opinion was a little different as he is not really interested in colored stones-steve...

Steve,
Please see an appraiser that understands colored stones, in particular spinels, and has seen more than one in his life time. :rolleyes: It's really frustrating telling you these things, as you don't listen to anything anyone says, but you're really wasting your money with these appraisals. The GIA report is important to deem it as natural, but it doesn't mean the stone is worth $5K.

An AGL prestige report with color quality would tell you all the true scientific data you would need to hear. Based on that information, you can look up values yourself for similar color, size and clarity.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock

LD-the cobalt is used as a reference in this case being cobalt used to DESCRIBE the so called best color of blue spinel-the price on the 14 kt setting might b a little high but with gold at the prices it is today most apprs. justify the amounts here in the us. this setting is a hinged bail that can be opened up to fit almost any chain so the cost is a little more than the norm bail-cost to the cousumer-steve...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m76steve|1299423565|2865979 said:
LD-the cobalt is used as a reference in this case being cobalt used to DESCRIBE the so called best color of blue spinel-the price on the 14 kt setting might b a little high but with gold at the prices it is today most apprs. justify the amounts here in the us. this setting is a hinged bail that can be opened up to fit almost any chain so the cost is a little more than the norm bail-cost to the cousumer-steve...

And that's exactly my point. A good appraiser, who knows about coloured gemstones would NEVER use this terminology as quite clearly the spinel you have is NOT the best colour.

I'm sorry Steve - you'll never believe us despite what we tell you. Please please please look at the links I've provided you with and understand this is why we are not praising your gemstones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m76steve|1299422922|2865972 said:
evenness might refer to not blotchy or hot spots overall clean & even color-steve...

Well, it's not good when you have to "guess" or speculate what an appraiser means by "evenness of clarity." I understand "evenness of color," but I never heard that term used for clarity. It either has inclusions or it does not, and the inclusions are either eye visible, slightly visible or only loupe visible. AGL reporting indicates the degree of clarity on it's reports in a scientific method, using terms like "moderately included" or "fainty included".

http://www.aglgemlab.com/images/Services/LongSample1.jpg

If you got an AGL prestige report with information deeming the stone is "Very Good" to "Excellent" color, "faintly included" and of a decent tone (color scan ratings), I would eat all my words about the quality of your stones and tell you to go out and get a new camera asap. I simply do not trust the words of your appraiser at all.

There are two kinds of AGL prestige reports, you would want the more comprehensive one. I don't often tell people to get the top quality prestige unless I think the stone is very valuable, but in this case, I think it would open your eyes a bit, or make me eat my past words. I don't mean to be rude, but I hate seeing you waste all your money on these worthless appraisals.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock

LD-over the last several months jewelers & apprs. iv talked with are spewing high prices & availability of certain stones-spinel being one-lots of faux-copies-r showing up as authentic-when tested the reality pops up with a loss-more and more people seem to b shying away from the colored stones or r buying at higher prices-my jeweler showed me his cost of colored stones & they are high-so with this info im finding i think the apprs are pretty much in line with replacement cost, insurance replacement quotes-steve...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m76steve|1299424179|2865986 said:
LD-over the last several months jewelers & apprs. iv talked with are spewing high prices & availability of certain stones-spinel being one-lots of faux-copies-r showing up as authentic-when tested the reality pops up with a loss-more and more people seem to b shying away from the colored stones or r buying at higher prices-my jeweler showed me his cost of colored stones & they are high-so with this info im finding i think the apprs are pretty much in line with replacement cost, insurance replacement quotes-steve...

Well, I certainly hope you're not paying high insurance premiums based on these appraisals as that is a waste as well. Also it's in the best interest of your jeweler, or any jeweler, to show you how much he pays for colored stones as he has to sell them for a profit, or he just has bad sources that cheat him as well.

Look, many of us on Pricescope get rather decent spinels for very fair and decent pricing. If we can get them for such good pricing with our limited resources as most of us are not in the trade, then I think your jeweler is either pulling your leg, or his sources are terrible. Now, I'm talking strictly spinels here, not sapphires, diamonds, rubies or emeralds. Does your jeweler even buy spinels, and if so, what does he pay for those?

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock

TL-evenness used for clairity used as reference-the stone is clear except for verifying inclusions for spinel-i love the fact that my carbon unit appraisers still have to describe what they see in english & still use [in their own words] what is before them-the GIA is more cut & dry-just facts as to what is presented them-i still consider my pc & cameras & scopes as tools TO HELP VERIFY what should be as excepted as standard for said material-steve...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m76steve|1299424733|2865992 said:
TL-evenness used for clairity used as reference-the stone is clear except for verifying inclusions for spinel-i love the fact that my carbon unit appraisers still have to describe what they see in english & still use [in their own words] what is before them-the GIA is more cut & dry-just facts as to what is presented them-i still consider my pc & cameras & scopes as tools TO HELP VERIFY what should be as excepted as standard for said material-steve...

As a very scientific person myself, I do not appreciate flowery terminology being used to describe something that should be scientifically based. The former is a selling ploy (the appraiser is telling you what you want to hear) and the latter is the truth. Although the GIA is not a very comprehensive report in terms of color, clarity, and tone, it is cut and dry for a reason. Reputable lab reports are scientific and non-biased, which they all should be. A good appraisal should be as well.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock

TL-i think the last spinel he bought was about a year ago-was red/pinkish and he told me his cost-wholesale-was @$200.00/ct-a 3-4 ct. stone was right around $700.00 his cost using his ordering material-which is limited as to what they use-steve...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m76steve|1299424179|2865986 said:

Steve I know you've only been collecting for a few years but trust me, this has been going on for YEARS! It's nothing new. That's why I never go to High Street appraisers. Quite simply, the appraisers valuation bear no relation to real life.

For example, in 2005 I bought a Tanzanite and had it valued by a High Street appraiser (similar to the one you're using) and then by a reputable appraisal organisation affiliated to a gem testing house (and about the only appraisers in the UK who are recognised as giving true valuations). In late 2006, the high street jeweller gave a valuation of £11,500 (about $17,500) and a week later the appraiser associated with the gem testing house gave it a valuation of £7,900 ($12,000). Both are for insurance/replacement value and are for a 7.5ct trilliant cut high quality tanzanite set in a pendant with a single diamond.

Today (and even then as Tanzanite prices have dropped rather than increased) I can buy a top grade trilliant cut Tanzanite for around $3,750. So, ask yourself, is my pendant worth $17,500, $12,000 or could I source the same stone again, buy a small accent diamond and have it set for around $5,000? You bet I could! That's why your valuation bears no reality to the actual value or worth of your stone.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

****total threadjack alert*****

LD, what is the name of Zeus is that neon green stone in your avatar??

:love: :love: :love:

/end threadjack

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m76steve|1299425277|2866001 said:
TL-i think the last spinel he bought was about a year ago-was red/pinkish and he told me his cost-wholesale-was @$200.00/ct-a 3-4 ct. stone was right around $700.00 his cost using his ordering material-which is limited as to what they use-steve...

Steve,
Please please please send one of your prized stones to the AGL for a color quality prestige report. I really hope it opens your eyes. I hate to see you or anyone constantly being taken advantage of. We're not pleading with you because we're a bunch of meanies, but because it stinks to see someone thinking they're constantly getting the value of a lifetime when they're not. No appraisal from any appraiser is going to change anyone's mind. You need to get a top of the notch prestige report, and then do a comparitive analysis online of what similar stones are going for and from reputable and fair dealers, not ones that overcharge because they can.

BTW, pinkish red spinels of good to excellent saturation are worth more than regular (non cobalt bearing) blue spinels of the same size, so if he got a 3 to 4 carat stone for $200 carat, that seems fair pricing. It's definitely not the $1K carat that your appraiser is giving your non cobalt bearing blue spinel. Of course, I know nothing about the quality of the pinkish red spinel you're discussing, as it could be very brown, and then worth far less, or very saturated, and worth far more.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rosetta|1299425949|2866010 said:

/end threadjack

:lol: It's a copper bearing Cuprian Tourmaline that's 3.33ct but not great clarity. As you can see I bought it for the COLOUR! I'm going to set it this summer.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock

TL-we agree to disagree on resources being used-im satisfied with findings done stateside & with me still getting offers to sell pendents comming from jewelers & shop owners who have seen my items i know iv done well in buying/verifying stones being used-im telling u deals are to be had on good stones with a little caution & research before buying-im satisfied overal with my presentation to the chior & appreciate all who responded-steve... :read: :wavey:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LovingDiamonds|1299423511|2865978 said:

Steve - you've ignored the above but you must be able to see that this is why we know that the people you're dealing with really are giving you bad advice and you DON'T have the heirlooms you think you may have.

I hate saying this to you over and over again and I really wish you would see the light because there ARE wonderful gems out that that, if you have the budget, would most definitely be excellent buys.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock

LovingDiamonds|1299427744|2866025 said:
LovingDiamonds|1299423511|2865978 said:

Steve - you've ignored the above but you must be able to see that this is why we know that the people you're dealing with really are giving you bad advice and you DON'T have the heirlooms you think you may have.

I hate saying this to you over and over again and I really wish you would see the light because there ARE wonderful gems out that that, if you have the budget, would most definitely be excellent buys.
LD-iv looked at ur examples & to me they are no better than what iv seen or have bought-a little less money & stones not as good-this from what iv seen on the screen & i know what i have, has been verified-have a nice da!-steve...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

his $, his time, his opinion.
he's not open to the fact that an appraisal is NOT a gemology report.
so why keep arguing with him?
its all been said.

and obviously he's not changing our minds.
i for one am not impressed by the stones.
but they are his stones and he is likes them so my opinion doesn't matter.

why keep on repeating the same thing and hitting heads on the same wall?
you can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink.

MoZo

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

movie zombie|1299432551|2866061 said:
its all been said.

MoZo

I agree MoZo, I think people like me, LD and others are responding not only to help Steve, but in the hopes that other people will read these threads and learn from them. There may be other people in the same situation as Steve (with appraisals that are over inflated and show no scientific information) that might actually listen to what some of us have to say. Therefore, hopefully, our time and efforts in speaking with Steve, are not in vain.

If we said nothing, some people might look at his thread and think, "wow, I can actually get a five carat blue spinel that color and it's worth $5K!!" There are many lurkers on PS, and I think it's important to educate on this forum, even if the OP isn't the one who's being educated. ;)) :))

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

LovingDiamonds|1299426234|2866013 said:
rosetta|1299425949|2866010 said:

/end threadjack

:lol: It's a copper bearing Cuprian Tourmaline that's 3.33ct but not great clarity. As you can see I bought it for the COLOUR! I'm going to set it this summer.

oh my. i want to lick it and see if it's green apple flavour :lickout:

never seen anything like it, it's like kryptonite!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tourmaline_lover|1299432750|2866064 said:
its all been said.

MoZo

I agree MoZo, I think people like me, LD and others are responding not only to help Steve, but in the hopes that other people will read these threads and learn from them. There may be other people in the same situation as Steve (with appraisals that are over inflated and show no scientific information) that might actually listen to what some of us have to say. Therefore, hopefully, our time and efforts in speaking with Steve, are not in vain.

If we said nothing, some people might look at his thread and think, "wow, I can actually get a five carat blue spinel that color and it's worth $5K!!" There are many lurkers on PS, and I think it's important to educate on this forum, even if the OP isn't the one who's being educated. ;)) :))

+1

I also agree with everything you've said MoZo but for me, I also hate to see somebody being taken for a ride. I don't think any of us are impressed by his stones which is a crying shame. I just wish Steve would listen but as you say, it's his money. :cry:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

LovingDiamonds|1299434922|2866087 said:
tourmaline_lover|1299432750|2866064 said:
its all been said.

MoZo

+1

I also agree with everything you've said MoZo but for me, I also hate to see somebody being taken for a ride. I don't think any of us are impressed by his stones which is a crying shame. I just wish Steve would listen but as you say, it's his money. :cry:
Huge ditto from me as well.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Even if the subtleties of the OP's overinflated appraisals are lost on the lurkers, there is no question that the OP's stones we've seen here have been dark, windowed and nothing to write home about. If he likes them, that's what matters - we wouldn't buy them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No matter what people like, even if the stones are dark, windowed, desaturated, etc. . . the important thing is that
#1) you like it
#2) you're paying a fair price for the quality
#3) no one is telling you it's worth a price that is extemely unrealistic.

I have stones that are far from perfect, but the important thing is that I personally know that they are not. I also know that in most cases, I paid a reasonable price for them, and in some cases, I did get ripped off. Education and learning from one's mistakes is really important, and I don't know everything, and I'm always learning. One of my favorite quotes is from a Beatles song, "with every mistake, we must surely be learning." In some people's cases, unfortuantely, this doesn't always ring true. I do hope Pricescope members here continue to share their learning experiences, and continue to help people, despite the not always positive feedback.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I can see all points of view on this issue.

As someone who has been buying rough and poorly cut gems for over 20 years and dealt with the trade only for over 7 years it is not hard to see what has happened to so many even myself.

We educate ourselves the best we can; and even some of us have the parchment paper and ink to make us feel a little better about our decisions in judging a colored gem.
But it really is all about what you like... I have seen and heard horror stories from individuals that have bought gems from reputable high end jewelers and dealers only to find they were not as valuable as they thought and also have seen registered appraisers appraise gems and jewelry for so much more than imaginable in the real world market. So my only advise is to educate yourself as much as possible in any field of collectibles as you can as it is too easy to fall into a trap...

I know from experience that many in the old school jewelry industry the public was told midnight blue or may I say inky sapphires were the most valuable??? Well in the real world it is not so; but seeing they were more abundant the trade pushed the gems as "really rare and valuable" so when I started dealing with the trade only I was forced to buy what I considered "crap" sapphires as that was what the market demanded and they put high prices on that stuff.

I know for one example I sent 7x5 saturated but clean blue sapphires and priced them at 100 a carat wholesale; they sent them all back and wanted higher priced sapphire; the color was fine but they wanted higher quality??? I sent 5 more stones 2 of which were from the first lot; priced at 300 a carat wholesale... Well low and behold one from the first lot was chosen and with the price tag of 300 dollars a carat??? Duh...

Well I knew then I was not cut out from the retail market per say... But what this has to do with everything is that you will be lied to in this arena; by all sorts of people, retail, wholesale, etc. so just beware and do your homework.

I have gems that to some may not be worth a plug nickle; but to me they are priceless; in the real world they may be worth 100 a carat; it all depends on what you want and how rare it is.

When you join all the elite groups, alumni, and buy THE GUIDE to wholesale colored gem pricing; your mouth will fall open when you see what THEY call a wholesale price on a certain gem. A quote from one of those famous books on a 4.7 carat spinel... 3 <5 carat Fine quality is 250 to 500 a carat extra fine is 500 to 900 a carat and this is true wholesale... hmm... well sorry folks but I would be lucky to get a 100 a carat for a dark blue non-precision cut Burma Spinel... I am so sorry but so many people get the "feel good" apprasial and it is not right. If I was going to grade my purchase as being a good one or a bad one I would look at true wholesale and if I fall close I would consider myself in good shape. The main thing is making sure you have what you think you have and then go from there.

Always ask on this forum as there are many on here tradespeople and non-tradespeople that are willing to help and not try to sell you one of their stones as that is up to the individual to shop around and find out for themselves if that is the best price for the little creature.

It was like insurance apprasials and estate apprasials; one is a feel good and the other one is " take it to the street and see what you are offered" the second one is off just like the first one; but the second is more realistic in this ole world.

Sorry for the novel but I see both sides and I too do not want anyone thinking their apprasial is something that is etched in stone as the value of their goods..
Most respectfully and not meant to hurt anyones feeling.

M76Steve; please do not take any of this wrong as I see you have really gone beyond the norm to try to find out if your investment was sound; in my opinion I can not say as I have not seen your gem in person. If you love the gem; do not worry about any of this and enjoy the gem; it was your cash and heaven knows if you did make a mistake you are not alone; I have been there many times myself and if I live long enough I will be there again :)

Dana

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results