shape
carat
color
clarity

4-5 tcw ACA Diamond Stud Selection and Prices

ladyva1

Rough_Rock
Long time lurker but now I’m the market for larger studs (4-5 total carat weight). I have tried on studs at this size at brick and mortar stores and could easily distinguish H vs I ( not well cut though).

Few questions:

I was looking for H vs I with SI1 clarity. Would all ACA studs at this size be eyeclean ?

For paying the ACA premium, will I vs H be discernible at a close distance ? I can tell the difference with less well cut stones.

I am told prices for diamond are currently 10-15 percent higher - any idea if this is expected to taper down by the end of the year ( as the housing market and car market is or so I am reading)?

Has anyone had WF cut diamonds from rough for them ? Either to match an available stone or a pair. How was the process ?

I preferred martini style ( VS 4 prong) - I wear a lot of yellow gold.

Any input with 2-2.5 carat ear studs for setting considerations and metal considerations ? I found the martini setting was comfortable ( I take off my jewelry at night) and the studs didn’t lean forward at all. I like yellow gold but have always read the the diamonds will appear yellowish .

Thanks for any input !

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd definitely always set diamond studs in white metal so you basically only see diamonds (regardless of other jewelry worn). I have 3.2 ctw H VS ACA studs from Whiteflash and love them! There are many here who have I color and are happy with them. Once you go over 2 cts per stone, the I color definitely has an advantage on price. I think no one knows if or when diamond prices might go down, but with inflation like it is right now, I wouldn't expect to see any significant price decreases anytime soon.

There are some nice I color pairs in your preferred range right now. You could ask them to compare the pairs and see if any appear higher I color than others since every color is a range.

or

or

There aren't any H SI pairs at this time, and I wouldn't personally custom cut for SI1 because you just don't know what clarity issues you'd end up with. You really lose nothing if you start with I color, because you can later upgrade to H color if you desire. It could be that in the future the prices might settle downward a bit, but you'd have full value of what you paid on these stones to trade.

ladyva1

Rough_Rock
I'd definitely always set diamond studs in white metal so you basically only see diamonds (regardless of other jewelry worn). I have 3.2 ctw H VS ACA studs from Whiteflash and love them! There are many here who have I color and are happy with them. Once you go over 2 cts per stone, the I color definitely has an advantage on price. I think no one knows if or when diamond prices might go down, but with inflation like it is right now, I wouldn't expect to see any significant price decreases anytime soon.

There are some nice I color pairs in your preferred range right now. You could ask them to compare the pairs and see if any appear higher I color than others since every color is a range.

or

or

There aren't any H SI pairs at this time, and I wouldn't personally custom cut for SI1 because you just don't know what clarity issues you'd end up with.

Thank you!

ladyva1

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are very welcome! I hope you'll come back and show us your studs when you get them!

ladyva1

Rough_Rock
Thank you I will - trying to figure out sizing right now and see what pops up
on WF. These are 2 carat per stud for reference.
D7F379C9-8DE6-4614-9D7B-49E7BF7329F3.jpeg

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Thank you I will - trying to figure out sizing right now and see what pops up
on WF. These are 2 carat per stud for reference.
D7F379C9-8DE6-4614-9D7B-49E7BF7329F3.jpeg

Are you absolutely sure those are 2 carats per stud, versus 2 carat total weight? To my eyes those look like 1 ct each / 2 ctw.

ladyva1

Rough_Rock
Are you absolutely sure those are 2 carats per stud, versus 2 carat total weight? To my eyes those look like 1 ct each / 2 ctw.

Yes I am sure - part of why I am trying to increase the size within my budget. The difference between 0.5- 1/1.5 per ear was really noticeable. Not so much going to 2 carat. Going to try on 2.3 carat studs next week.

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
I went with special order 4 prong platinum settings. Others here with larger studs also have chosen WF 6 prong settings.

Here is my thread and pictures are on the first page.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ca-3-2-ctw-final-stud-earrings-part-2.266154/

Oh, and I did regular posts and large regular backs. I don't like La Pousette backs or screw backs.

I didn’t see those settings on WF when I ordered a few weeks ago I really love it though. How did you go about that?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results